+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Advertising in EduGeek Stuff; Thanks for clearing things up. I'm by no means having a go. It's just good to know why the amount ...
  1. #31

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Thanks for clearing things up. I'm by no means having a go. It's just good to know why the amount of adverts have risen and it's also good to know that a North-East conference is in the pipe line.

    I appreciate all the work that goes into this site and thank everyone involved.

  2. #32

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,609
    Thank Post
    1,223
    Thanked 772 Times in 670 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    We have ads? Seriously, I don't think I'd even registered there are adverts on the site until I saw this thread - they're just something your eyes automatically skip over these days. The stuff I do take notice of is the adverts and offers posted to the sponsers forum, and the companies that answer questions and post things in forums - we've just spent around 15,000 this summer with people I heard of through EduGeek.

    Just to make sure we've had our daily dose of irony, I see that the keyword-scanning algorithm that serves the adverts is now showing us adverts for advert services, specifically the rather oddly named "InviziAds". Better not discuss this any further, though - a meta-discussion about advertising advertising might put the advertising system into a recursive loop or something and wind up with the known universe imploding.

    --
    David Hicks

  3. #33

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,630
    Thank Post
    890
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Just to make sure we've had our daily dose of irony, I see that the keyword-scanning algorithm that serves the adverts is now showing us adverts for advert services, specifically the rather oddly named "InviziAds". Better not discuss this any further, though - a meta-discussion about advertising advertising might put the advertising system into a recursive loop or something and wind up with the known universe imploding.
    LOL

  4. #34

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Nice one David -

  5. #35

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,130
    Thank Post
    1,907
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    394
    I don't think the ad for the awful t-shirts was suitable for the site.


  6. #36
    amfony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    161
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Just my 2 cents AUD ...

    But obviously the ads are there for a reason. No one at eduGeek would want to have ads for no other reason the offsetting the costs of running (i trust) the site and from what i can tell about the origins/original players of the site i doubt that the runners/owners are keeping all the massive amounts of cash and driving merc's or in your case .. jaguars.

    Either way - what ever keeps me away from a subscription fee more power to it!!

    By they way - i fully agree with the guy that said the forums are nothing with out the members.

  7. #37

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,783
    Thank Post
    572
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by amfony View Post
    Just my 2 cents AUD ...

    But obviously the ads are there for a reason. No one at eduGeek would want to have ads for no other reason the offsetting the costs of running (i trust) the site and from what i can tell about the origins/original players of the site i doubt that the runners/owners are keeping all the massive amounts of cash and driving merc's or in your case .. jaguars.

    Either way - what ever keeps me away from a subscription fee more power to it!!

    By they way - i fully agree with the guy that said the forums are nothing with out the members.
    Funnily enough, almost all the big players I spoke to at BETT in January all wanted to know why we didn't charge for membership. Some people can't grasp the 'community' thing at all, especially business.

  8. #38

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,921
    Thank Post
    1,332
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    593
    @DB : don't forget the Saudi Prince who wanted to know if he could buy EduGeek and get it translated? And the number of people who would walk past the stand and ask what the catch was if it was all free?

  9. #39

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    So 8000 members, a lot of those one timers. 15000 running costs per year. I would rather pay the 10-20 year subscription than have the adverts, but that's just me.

    20 at 800 regular visiting members (just a guestimate) = 15000. I'd go with that.

  10. #40

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,590
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 762 Times in 593 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    20 at 800 regular visiting members (just a guestimate) = 15000. I'd go with that.
    We currently have 869 active members (according to the magical VBulletin algorithm). These are the people that actually post... however, I know a lot of people just read the forums - lurking as it were. There is also no requirement to join to view most of our content. We actually get well over 5000 visitors a day during term time!

    If we charged for membership, I suspect we would lose a good few of those active members. We would also lose the majority of those 5000 visitors each day. Together, these two things would give the site less 'pull' and that would mean that we wouldn't be at BETT, we wouldn't be able to get decent speakers for conferences, we wouldn't be discussing national agenda (e.g. BSF) with the big wigs on your behalf and we wouldn't be able to offer free stuff.

    It all comes back to the fact that EduGeek is not just a technical forum - it is a community.

  11. #41

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,400
    Thank Post
    636
    Thanked 961 Times in 661 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    319
    I love the smell of imploding universes on a Friday afternoon

  12. #42
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I would rather pay the 10-20 year subscription than have the adverts, but that's just me.

    20 at 800 regular visiting members (just a guestimate) = 15000. I'd go with that.
    Whilst I wouldn't mind paying a fee I wouldn't actually have become a member in the first place if the site required one. I was a 'read only' for quite a long time before I posted.

    The fact that this site is a community is what holds me here. As someone said earlier I hardly notice the ads, but if I'm looking for something specific then they help. Knowing that Edugeek endorses whatever is there is a good enough recommendation for me.

  13. #43
    metalmonkey
    Guest
    All I would say is understand why ad's as there and what we do with the revenue.
    And also please understand, some of us use this forum to post responses only and never ask for help. Some of us have no interest in the Bett show or your conferences.

    Please understand there are users of this site with different interests in it. As a result, they don't feel they need to add an exception to our adblocker.

    If those people... like me, are then considered unhelpful, un-supportive or rude to the cause, then so be it. I'll delete my account right now.

  14. #44


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,618
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 777 Times in 604 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    I block the "sponsored by" ads on here in a bid to make the forum list less unwieldy and cluttered - displaying 60 forums and sub-forums on one page, especially with no option to collapse sub-forums, is excessive. If I turn the "sponsored by" ads on, the amount of scrolling needed gets sillier and the ads make the page harder to navigate.

    I understand the need for you to advertise, but if your adverts are annoying or make the site harder to use, I'll block them. Somewhere in the middle, there's a happy medium.

  15. #45

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,630
    Thank Post
    890
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I block the "sponsored by" ads on here in a bid to make the forum list less unwieldy and cluttered - displaying 60 forums and sub-forums on one page, especially with no option to collapse sub-forums, is excessive. If I turn the "sponsored by" ads on, the amount of scrolling needed gets sillier and the ads make the page harder to navigate.
    They are getting tweaked too
    Soon they should not effect scrolling so that will minimise their impact too. We are trying to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •