Poll: Would you rent equipment in the event of an emergency\sudden need?

+ Post New Thread
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Hardware rental in EduGeek Stuff; I've just been speaking to supplier who thinks that this is a good idea. What I have also suggested is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hardware rental

I've just been speaking to supplier who thinks that this is a good idea. What I have also suggested is that we introduce a short term rental service for when things blow up and die and you need something NOW to get back up and running, or those instances where it is the end of the holidays and that new IT suite is missing vital switches etc and you need to be up and running ASAP.
    Would you be interested in such as service where you can rent equipment by the day for short periods? And yes, this does include the equipment such as cable\network testers that were mentioned earlier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    What I have also suggested is that we introduce a short term rental service for when things blow up and die and you need something NOW to get back up and running, or those instances where it is the end of the holidays and that new IT suite is missing vital switches etc and you need to be up and running ASAP.
    If that were the case, I'd be more interested in a supplier who can get it to me the next morning on a sale basis, because it's still going to be at least that long before something rented can arrive. After all, if it's replacing something that's failed, I'm going to want it permanently aren't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Would you be interested in such as service where you can rent equipment by the day for short periods? And yes, this does include the equipment such as cable\network testers that were mentioned earlier.
    Yes, that's more sensible. A Wi-spy, cable tester, PAT tester, etc is stuff that I sometimes need but don't neccessarily want in a cupboard gathering dust.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I think what may be quite nice to have available is some small powerful server type boxes with virtualization software pre installed and a selection of images to choose which would help someone needing to replace servers in a hurry.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    If that were the case, I'd be more interested in a supplier who can get it to me the next morning on a sale basis, because it's still going to be at least that long before something rented can arrive. After all, if it's replacing something that's failed, I'm going to want it permanently aren't I?
    Depends really. Not many suppliers can maintain an 'in stock' status for every product they sell. So for example, you need a 48 port switch as one has failed. Your suppliers can only get you one in 2 weeks. This sort of service would provide for those situations.

Thank Post
    But if there's going to be stock at the rental company, I still may as well buy it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What if we offer short term Netgear managed switches and your infrastructure is all Cisco would you still want to buy them? There are reasons why a short term emergency loan would be a good service, as I said earlier, a good example is when it is getting close to the end of the holidays and the new kit to finish your new ICT suite has not turned up. This has happened to almost everyone here.

Thank Post
    I think rental of things like testers etc. that you wouldn't want to buy is a good idea, but these days where most things can be got online with a 'next-day' delivery, I can't see it catching on for things like switches which you'd buy anyway.

I certainly can't see heads and SMT going for it - too much like throwing money away.

Thank Post
    Yes.
    (but only at a good price )

As others have said, no to things that are broke and would be replaced anyway.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Yes...a wireless analyser and some fluke cable testers please lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Can't say for 110% on the main hardware stuff, I can see the idea behind it but as has been said if you use common / fairly standard high end switches chances are they will be on 24hr delivery which I guess, unless were local to the place that the kit was at, it would be just as quick.

Certainly kit like large fluke testers etc are a good tool. I'd even consider renting one myself for a few days and testing all the kit ive done for many people more for my peace of mind (and to show off how bad some dodgy wiring installed by others is!)

Thank Post
    We're a bit odd - but we'd love to rent servers for very short periods - as it costs a fortune each year for us to test hardware

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tom ... I am sure that you could have stopped after the first bit of that sentence ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Would you be interested in such as service where you can rent equipment by the day for short periods?
    I guess some people might be interested in hiring stuff like decent video cameras for a couple of days - we can't afford high end equipment (actually, we're depending on Tesco vouchers for our equipment...), but we might be able to afford to hire it.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread