+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Comments and Suggestions Thread, EduGeek hardware rental network in EduGeek Stuff; Money won't be a problem. You are a business and approach things from a completely different angle from how I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Money won't be a problem. You are a business and approach things from a completely different angle from how I would do them. EduGeek is here as more than a site we are slowly beginning to introduce some services for schools (no, not on site and technical). We would be very, very careful who would receive equipment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    There needs to be some sort of insurance cover or the schools signing a contract to say they will replace any hardware that gets broken.

The other issue is post, sure a wispy is quite small but there could be other bits of say structured cabling test kit that would be heavier.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shipping will not be an issue. I have some 'plans'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Money won't be a problem. You are a business and approach things from a completely different angle from how I would do them. EduGeek is here as more than a site we are slowly beginning to introduce some services for schools (no, not on site and technical). We would be very, very careful who would receive equipment.
    Yes, you're probably right. I guess I do look at things very much black and white and how viable an idea is. It's great Edugeek are looking to expand and offer additional services and solutions. There are lots of companies (as already mentioned) that do rent equipment, so they're directly competition.
    My company don't rent computer equipment to any organisation. As far as I can see, your business proposal would be renting equipment short term to various establishments instead of longterm (such as a number of years), which I find interesting. Keep up the good work though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    There is companies out there that loan anything IT/Network/Desktop/Projectors etc etc already. Edugeek does not need to do it!! These companies do this everyday and dont charge the earth.
    Yes but this way, the schools get the money.

Regarding transport - the WiSpy is ideal for postage as it's light and comes in a tough CD case.

Thank Post
    1st of all a general comment.

My idea is based upon the concept of a club buying a piece of equipment that individual members couldn't afford, or need to have sole use of, and then the members get to use it.

(In early geekdom, before computers were invented, some of us old ones were radio hams and we had clubs )

Because edugeek is a big club, and we don't pay any subs, the club would need to recuperate the capital cost over time in order to finance the initial purchase.

But the club doesn't try to make an actual profit on the deal so the cost to the members is very low.

@comments about big money rental/large deposits/trust issues.

Scheme just won't work unless its a good deal for edugeekers - as far as trust goes - we could invent some sort of rules - only long standing members/only sent to school addresses/need to get 2 other quality edugeekers to vouch that you actually exist and are not a 12 year whoes been pretending to be a NM at a FE college for past 3 years

@overworked
    I'll do it, but 10 a week still seems a bit small. How about 20 a fortnight?
    The way I see it is - you have a device that cost you 200 - you don't need it anymore.

For a say 5 initial cost of posting it out (just made that figure up - I don't know how much it would be in reality) you start to get some money back.

In one year at 5/week you'll get back your 200

At 10/week you'll get back 500!

Unless it gets broken in which case lets say you only get 3 months out of it - thats 65 + 20 honour payment = 85. (or 150 at 10/week!)

BTW As a second had piece of kit, I always use 2nd hand selling price == 50% of new price as a rough guide (and if my mates at western are right - the new cost has dropped anyway )

Although you only get 5/10 - it costs me 10/15 (as I have to post it on again)

Since I'm very keen to borrow one and keen to get such a scheme in operation I was willing to go to 10 to get the ball rolling.

And with Dos_Box starting another ball rolling with his rental from a supplier concept, 5 might be over the top

Its up to you - I'd love to get something like this going (but don't want to step on DB shoes BTW!) but I can see you need to be on same wavelength(amateur radio coming out again) as comrade si here

As Mr Adams once said - Share and Enjoy

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    @overworked

Any further thoughts

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Coming to the party a bit late here, but a lending network sounds like a good idea.

It would take a lot of capital to get to the point that EduGeek owned a good amount of kit though - this service needs more than Dos_Bos buying a WiSpy in order to get going!

I'd be interested to see some "classroom peripherals" up for loan too, visualisers, TuffCams, graphics tablets, etc. (although many suppliers will lend these out for free if they think there's a sale in it...)

Thank Post
    I'd be interested to see some "classroom peripherals" up for loan too, visualisers, TuffCams, graphics tablets, etc.
    Hey - this is a geeks place

Don't want any of that namby pampy teaching stuff

this service needs more than Dos_Bos buying a WiSpy in order to get going!
    I believe that in fact this is exactly what is needed to get going (or Overworked to take the risk! - a nice device that some wouldn't be able to justify the capital cost of, but could do with borrowing for a short period.

Network testers/Time Domain Reflectometers are the other obvious choices

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Hey - this is a geeks place

Don't want any of that namby pampy teaching stuff
    Not sure if that comment was serious or not, so I'll respond it it just in case it was. The way our budgets here work means we don't have a "mad march" or "silly season" where people buy random stuff just to use up their budget; instead, they apply to the SLT for funding for such things. This means they won't get visualisers, etc unless they can justify them, and won't be able to do that unless they've seen one. So, borrowing them one for a week or so would be great. Also, while we are geeks, let's not forget we are EduGeeks...

I believe that in fact this is exactly what is needed to get going
    Let me clarify - while a single WiSpy would obviously get the ball rolling, it doesn't make much of a service; before it was really of any value, it would need significantly more kit to be available. I am not convinced that EduGeek has the funds to put together - and maintain as current - a sufficiently large library of equipment for this to really take off (unless all you want is a WiSpy, of course!).

Expensive network equipment would be a good starting point though, as that is often what we find hardest to justify as it would spend a lot of its time sitting on the shelf. A gig switch or two would be useful too, if we wanted to see what difference it would actually make, and thus decide whether or not to bother with the extra money.

Like I said, I like the idea in principal and definitely think it worth trying to flesh it out more to see if it can be made to fly.

Thank Post
    let's not forget we are EduGeeks...
    Sorry!

So, borrowing them one for a week or so would be great.
    As others have said - borrowing with intent to buy is usually available from a supplier - if your normal supplier won't lend one to try - another one will (and then 1st one will as well next time )

while a single WiSpy would obviously get the ball rolling,
    and
    Expensive network equipment would be a good starting point though,

I don't see any small rolling balls yet - so I don't think a big one will be coming anytime shortly

Maybe we should start all posting what sort of stuff we'd like to borrow and how much it is and how much/week we'd expect to pay? (until the spherical objects arrive )
    regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    @overworked

Any further thoughts

regards

Simon

Sorry - I've been away from EduGeek for a while. I hadn't forgot about it.

OK then, as an experiment you can have my WiSpy at 5 per week (min 2 weeks) plus cost of postage to you.

You can hang on to it until someone else wants it, upto a max of 6 weeks. If no one else wants it in that time, I'd like it back. But then if I pay for the postage, that would negate the 5 I'd got from renting it out. Would it be fair on you if you paid the postage back to me - maybe not? That's why I wanted to set a higher minimum charge and renting period - 10 for two weeks. Half my original asking price! I don't want to go lower than 10 total.

I enjoy helping techs in other schools, but want to get some ROI for my school. (We're in desperate dire straights financially).

One of my concerns about this system is things going missing if as people change jobs. Items get stuck in cupboards and their successor won't know that it belongs to someone else.

That's my thoughts on the matter.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    Would it be fair on you if you paid the postage back to me
    I don't see why not - if you borrowed something from me, I wouldn't expect to have to pay to get it back off you. IMO, the borrower should pick up all associated costs of the loan.

Thank Post
    Yippee
    The ball is going

So You send to me - i pay for that
    I pay 5/week for 2 weeks.
    I pay postage either back to you or on to next person.

Address is
    Euxton CE Primary School
    Bank Lane
    Wigan Road
    PR7 6JW

Attn Simon Walters

Please let me know when its been sent

:-)

I think once I've got it- you should start another thread with [FOR RENT] on the front and see who else would like it.

This is when we find no-one else is on-board

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Just security marked it.

I'll put it in the post today and PM you with the details for the cheque when I know the postage.

It's nearly a mile to our Post Office!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast