Yes I'd pay.
The whole "we need the adverts to pay the costs" discussion pops up again and again and each time the "well, nobody would pay a subscription" position is trotted out as the reason for it but nobody, to my knowledge has ever actually asked the question... So, here goes.
1. Would you consider paying a nominal subscription fee of say £5 a year to use the Edugeek site advert free?
2. If you wouldn't would you accept the adverts as is, without adblocking software? (be honest).
To get this started:
1. Yes... I'm already paying £15+ a year for eventid subscription and this place is very useful so £5 - £10 a year is an investment IMHO.
2. I've already installed the adblocker and whilst that means the post-1st post adverts aren't appearing I'm not blocking the main index page ads unless they are a flash hell to look at.
... and just to be realistic here, I'm pretty sure you can offer a dual level system here... Adverts for those who won't/can't pay and advert free for those who can/will.
Yes I'd pay.
Yes I would pay, but...
one of the attractions of the site is that it is open to all. I think that free is better and can tolerate the ads at the current level.
I certainly don't like the idea of our cash-strapped schools forking out for our membership.
Last edited by elsiegee40; 11th February 2008 at 03:07 PM.
No i wouldnt pay. And not (just ) because im tight, but because if i came accross this site and couldnt access any of it without paying id just move on. How am i supposed to know if the site is any good before i hand over my money?
Just to note:
1. I'm not an admin (heaven forbid!) just throwing out a suggestion here and seeing if it might fly
2. Suggesting a dual layer system whereby you can see whether the site's any good (complete with adverts) and if you want to help cover the costs (while getting rid of adverts) you can subscribe.
Think of us poor advertisers! :P
I would pay - if only for the time and effort that all of the people running the site must invest. Using EduGeek has saved my back many times, from silly little problems that I just could not get my head around to complicated solutions to even more complicated questions.
As far as taking money from cash strapped schools, is their anybody on here who wouldn't pay £5/£10 or even a little more personally, simply for the peace of mind that the site offers.
More than happy with the adverts as they are...
They aren't exactly unsightly or anything.
So I wouldn't pay a subscription
quite happy to see the ads to be honest, i've found some decent suppliers via the ads.
I don't mind (or block) the adverts so would not pay.
the ads are fine... they are just pictures. A lot better than some forums I've been on that flash in your face and make you verge on siezures.
Wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee as the sites really useful, though the adverts don't bother me so if going two tier and had the choice probably stay on the free side. Adverts do come in useful at times as well.
I think that how the adverts are currently displayed is unobtrusive enough for me not to consider using ad blocks.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)