I have an idea (currently on paper) that I would like potentially to be developed. It could be used in the education, corporate and indeed home environments. I don't wish to discuss specifics, however I can reveal some information and would appreciate all the advice I cant get. I can do basic programming and I have knowledge of programming languages, but that's when it stops!
1. Primarily the application would be designed for Microsoft Windows 2000 or later and maybe Mac if the demand was there
2. Wide Browser compatibility - IE6, IE7, FF2, FF3, Opera (maybe), Chrome (maybe), Safari (maybe). So we're looking at an ActiveX control.
3. Search engine compatible - Google, Yahoo, Live!, Ask (any others?) and other website integration
4. A database of information - now do I have a central database on a web facing server or each client has its own database and is updated via identity files? Similar to AV or Anti-Spyware software in that respect. If the idea works, thousands or possibly millions of users could use it longterm.
5. The application would be free for the general public and funded through an advertising scheme. I wouldn't wish to piggy back on Google Ads for example, but have my own advertising tools.
6. The home version would 'read' usernames setup on Windows XP (for example) and would allow a local administrator to set specific rules. The education/corporate edition would have Active Directory policies so rules would be set by GPO.
What programming language would you use and why? I am thinking maybe ASP.NET or Java, but I am open to suggestions.
The application would be in MSI format for ease of deployment for AD or other deployment tools. In home environments, a standard manual setup procedure would apply and this also could be done with an MSI.
Can anyone recommend (first hand experience) of a programmer (with references) who could work on such a project?