+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, MRBS - A little help needed (Attn: dgsmith) in Coding and Web Development; Hi guys, I wonder if I could trouble you for a little assistance? I'm a new member but I've been ...

Thank Post

MRBS - A little help needed (Attn: dgsmith)

Hi guys,

I wonder if I could trouble you for a little assistance? I'm a new member but I've been looking at Meeting Room Booking System (MRBS) and I notice there are a few people on here (including dgsmith!) who are healthy contributors to the project (which is a brilliant project by the way!).

Anyway... I'm looking to be able to do something bespoke...

In essence, when I very first visit the MRBS site I am planning to host (or when I click the MRBS link top left to get back to main view) I would like to show ALL entries in ALL areas and rooms for the current week. This will serve to provide an overview of what entries are booked in for the current week and make my system a bit easier.

Would you be able to point me in the correct direction to do this please? I'm not fantastic with SQL / PHP but I can easily get around the code and make changes when I know what to do! Right now I'm unsure how to make the changes in the best manner. I've looked around and fiddled with bits but I can't seem to lose how MRBS defaults to showing me entries in a specific area and room!

Any advice from any experts would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andrew

Thank Post
    Well I have spent painstaking hours on our MRBS installation to make it look nothing like MRBS and have posted here and there what I have done with it.. sometimes I even get lost in my own customisations!

I get the feeling you want to create a landing page that works through all your rooms showing bookings for every day for the current week? By current week, do you mean from Mon-Fri or current day-7 days time? I can't help but feel that it would be incredibly "noisy" if you wanted to show 5 days of bookings for every room you have.. on a single page! It may work if you have just a handful, but even then it would have to have to scroll a fair bit down the page.

I opted for what I preferred to be an instant 2-week viewable table on a per-room basis (as seen in an older screenshot here), with the primary view showing all rooms in a particular area on the current day, though that could easily be for all rooms - i've since amended it to start the table at the current day rather than Monday of current week, so it truely does show up to 14 days from now.

What you want would involve I imagine a new script file to handle the landing page.. don't think you could do it by amending existing files or config. You may want to rethink if you want to have every room showing an entire week on a single page.. sometimes less is more! Out of interest, how many rooms across all areas will you be working with?
    Last edited by dgsmith; 28th May 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi,

That's exactly what I need - a landing page that processes all rooms for bookings in the coming week.

In this case a week is only 5 days (Mon - Fri) and I'm very lucky that in the instance I'll be deploying MRBS for there are only five rooms in total - so hopefully that should keep the mess down!

Obviously in the future if we scale up and start adding more rooms in I'll have to re-evaluate the landing page idea as there will be too much data.

I have just looked at your code - and thankyou for that; it looks like a great starting point.

I know I'm trying to achieve something that is non-standard for now but any pointers on how to take all bookings for the current week and display them in one week view would be excellent!

Thanks again,

Andrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread