+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, Mapping Pupils Home Drives On Netbooks in Coding and Web Development; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts

Mapping Pupils Home Drives On Netbooks

I think this has been mentioned before but couldn’t find the thread, but anyhow. One of my schools has a trolley of 30 netbooks that are standalone and have a standard local account for the pupils to use that auto logs on. This works well as they are quick to get to the desktop as no logging on the domain over wireless. The only downside is transferring work pupils do on them back to their home drives on the network.

Now I know I could make a shared folder that pupils could dump stuff into from the netbooks and then copy back when on a domain computer but that was too much faf, plus not much help the other way.

So after digging around Google and chopping up some scripts I now have a VBScript that prompts for a username and password and then maps the Home Folder based on the username entered and then opens the newly created drive. Code below for anyone who might find it useful.

Code:
    'Script to map Home Folder on netbook
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim objNetwork 
    Dim strDriveLetter, strRemotePath, strUserName, strPassword

strDriveLetter = "N:" 
    strRemotePath = "\\w2k8srv01\pupils$" 

Set objFSO   = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network") 

'Removes strDriveletter if it exists.

If objFSO.DriveExists("N:") = True Then
    objNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "N:", True, True
    End If

'Ask for Username
    strUserName = InputBox ("Enter your Username")

'Ask for Password
    strPassword = InputBox ("Enter your Password")

'Maps Networkdrive path to strRemotePath & strUserName using credentials strUserName & strPassword
    objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive strDriveLetter, strRemotePath _
    & "\" & strUserName, False, strUsername, strPassword

If Err.Number <> 0 Then   
    WScript.Echo "      Drive not mapped.  Incorrect Username or Password"   
    Err.Clear 
    WScript.Quit
    End If 

'Opens mapped drive
    Call ShowExplorer
    WScript.Quit

Sub ShowExplorer()
    Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 
    objShell.run ("Explorer" & " " & strDriveLetter & "\" )
    End Sub

WScript.Quit

2. 5 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

garethedmondson (23rd September 2011), SimpleSi (28th September 2011), speckytecky (28th September 2011), stevenlong1985 (22nd September 2011), tech_guy (22nd September 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i did also have a program that would do this, minimise to sys tray and give them the option to disconnect at the end of it.

mine was done with it popping up a box saying "This software needs to be unlocked to this machine, your unique code is xxxx please see the techies for an unlock code"
    and all it basically done was make an encryption key out of a mac address on the machine and the unlocked key used that. it just meant the software couldn't be passed around to students we didn't want having it.
    if anyone wants it let me know as ill have to change a couple of the strings (like server, sec group etc) before compiling

Thank Post
    What would be even more impressive would be to take the credentials , query AD to find the home drive location for that user, and then map it - don't know if this is even possible, but something to ponder over the weekend ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    I think this has been mentioned before but couldn’t find the thread, but anyhow. One of my schools has a trolley of 30 netbooks that are standalone and have a standard local account for the pupils to use that auto logs on. This works well as they are quick to get to the desktop as no logging on the domain over wireless. The only downside is transferring work pupils do on them back to their home drives on the network.

Now I know I could make a shared folder that pupils could dump stuff into from the netbooks and then copy back when on a domain computer but that was too much faf, plus not much help the other way.

So after digging around Google and chopping up some scripts I now have a VBScript that prompts for a username and password and then maps the Home Folder based on the username entered and then opens the newly created drive. Code below for anyone who might find it useful.

Code:
    'Script to map Home Folder on netbook
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim objNetwork 
    Dim strDriveLetter, strRemotePath, strUserName, strPassword

strDriveLetter = "N:" 
    strRemotePath = "\\w2k8srv01\pupils$" 

Set objFSO   = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network") 

'Removes strDriveletter if it exists.

If objFSO.DriveExists("N:") = True Then
    objNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "N:", True, True
    End If

'Ask for Username

'Ask for Password
    strPassword = InputBox ("Enter your Password")

'Maps Networkdrive path to strRemotePath & strUserName using credentials strUserName & strPassword
    objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive strDriveLetter, strRemotePath _
    & "\" & strUserName, False, strUsername, strPassword

If Err.Number <> 0 Then   
    WScript.Echo "      Drive not mapped.  Incorrect Username or Password"   
    Err.Clear 
    WScript.Quit
    End If 

'Opens mapped drive
    Call ShowExplorer
    WScript.Quit

Sub ShowExplorer()
    Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 
    objShell.run ("Explorer" & " " & strDriveLetter & "\" )
    End Sub

WScript.Quit
    I'm having the same issue with mapping network shares on standalone laptops running windows 7. My issue is that I cannot get the script to run with strUserName as "domain\username". If I set srtUserName as "domain\username", then I cannot map the home folder since all I need is the username part and not all the strings. Neither can I use strUserName as "username", since the username required to authenticate is in the format "domain\username". I will appreciate if anybody can elaborate on this for me. Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by femilovechild View Post
    I'm having the same issue with mapping network shares on standalone laptops running windows 7. My issue is that I cannot get the script to run with strUserName as "domain\username". If I set srtUserName as "domain\username", then I cannot map the home folder since all I need is the username part and not all the strings. Neither can I use strUserName as "username", since the username required to authenticate is in the format "domain\username". I will appreciate if anybody can elaborate on this for me. Thanks in advance.
    something along the lines of two separate variables; a variable for logon username and one for username.
    strLogonUserName = "domain\" & strUserName

Then in the script where you need to use domain\user you use strLogonUserName and where you need to map the drive you use strUserName

That should work I think?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    What would be even more impressive would be to take the credentials , query AD to find the home drive location for that user, and then map it - don't know if this is even possible, but something to ponder over the weekend ..
    I'll have a look at rewriting the little prog I had, it should be possible to read the AD home directory.

Thank Post
    we use the same style - local log-ins to netbooks / tablets and then use the external link to HAP - that way all the drives are accessible to students, and they can upload to their own areas.

Thank Post
    Hi! I tried a modified version of this script (for our network) but it breaks whenever user credentials are passed to it.

I think it's a permissions problem because it works when mapping with my own (admin) account, but not for any other. Does anyone know what requirements there are for the share and user permissions for this to work? Anyone care to give a working set of permissions as an example?

Google says system, creator owner, authenticated users, and admin should be present, but even with all these at full access, there's no joy...

TIA

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread