+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, PHP Code for Students Admissions in Coding and Web Development; Hi: Its not an academic project, we need a simple script for a non profit govt educational institution for admission ...

Thank Post

PHP Code for Students Admissions

Hi:
    Its not an academic project, we need a simple script for a non profit govt educational institution for admission
    PHP Code for Students Admissions

Student Part
    Student Must Signup first
    Fill out the Form Available + able to upload the supporting documents
    Check results - Only his result must appear if he is admitted or not admitted with a message

If admitted a link could be shown to take him to the next steps
    After basic introduction and requirements the student must be able to choose a day to come and submit his papers and to get admit card

Admin Part
    Admin must be able to create form
    View entries and submitted files – searchable
    Print, export in csv format
    Upload the results of the admitted students in csv format to appear on student login if he is admitted or not
    If admitted a link could be shown to take him to the next steps
    After basic introduction and requirements the student must be able to choose a day to come and submit his papers and to get admit card
    A page to see which admitted student selected which date for submitting the papers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karan_jhr View Post
    we need a simple script
    No, from the information given in this post and the other threads you've started recently it looks like you're a fair-sized educational institution that needs an experienced developer to help you tie together a number of existing applications into a coherent information system for your institution. I think your basic plan is a good one, choosing a set of mostly open source, web-based applications which can be made to work together with a minimum of customisation, but you don't seem to have the knowledge or experience yourself to be able to tie things together. What is your role at your institution - sysadmin, developer, or something else?

Thank Post
    you are right dhicks
    I am all in one
    I am the IT coordinator, Webmaster and a Lecturer here
    At the moment we are running a static website and i want to change it to a dynamic website. We do have a standalone oracle database for for registration with oracle forms but no web presence. Thats why i am trying to integrate all things together. Admissions and other things are handled manually or via simple asp forms which are not efficient.The problem is of the funds we cannot spend much and dont have cash on hand since its a government educational institution

Thank Post
    I am the IT coordinator, Webmaster and a Lecturer here
    What subject do you lecture in? How big is the university?

At the moment we are running a static website and i want to change it to a dynamic website.
    Where is your current website hosted - on a machine on campus somewhere or on a hosted service somewhere? What computing facilities do you have on campus?

We do have a standalone oracle database for for registration with oracle forms but no web presence.
    I've not got any experience with Oracle database products, however I imagine attaching any kind of web-based interface is going to cost a fair bit.

Admissions and other things are handled manually or via simple asp forms which are not efficient.
    Where does the data from those ASP forms go?

The problem is of the funds we cannot spend much and dont have cash on hand since its a government educational institution
    From what I can judge you don't simply need your website updated, you need a whole IT/information system structure put in place. This is going to be a sizeable undertaking - maybe something you can apply for a separate grant for rather than have to pay for peicemeal out of available spare cash?

Thank Post
    What subject do you lecture in? How big is the university?
    I teach information systems and there are aroud 2000 students

Where is your current website hosted - on a machine on campus somewhere or on a hosted service somewhere? What computing facilities do you have on campus?
    Its hosted on our inhouse servers. Having static IP and liked to free hosting by government for educational institution. We have our own data center with AD,DHCP,WSUS,MailServer and NetApps. Student labs with more than 350 computers

I've not got any experience with Oracle database products, however I imagine attaching any kind of web-based interface is going to cost a fair bit.
    Its going well, not having any issues with the current student registration system. We purchased it from a local supplier and its serving our need with no web presence.

Where does the data from those ASP forms go?
    Data goes in a simple Access databse. So we read information from database and show the results, just simple read, search and display for admission results and online applications for admissions

I am looking for different solutions to streamline the processes and to make the life a bit easier. These systems are working well so far but as the size of students is increasing i am sure its gonna make some problems

Thank Post
    I teach information systems and there are aroud 2000 students <...snip...> We have our own data center with AD,DHCP,WSUS,MailServer and NetApps. Student labs with more than 350 computers
    I'm guessing you employ around half a dozen people to look after that lot, then? Surely the integration of assorted systems, using PHP or otherwise, should be handed over to your sysadmin team?

Thank Post
    unfortunately all the above mentioned things are handled by me also
    all alone
    backup, servers, upgrades, website, information systems, student id card anything you can think of under it assets
    what would you recommend i must start from
    i am thinking to start from adopting joomla drupal or wordpress

Thank Post
    @AshEarl

dont know if you can give him any guidance on the php side?

Last edited by bart21; 6th August 2011 at 09:02 PM.

Thank Post
    unfortunately all the above mentioned things are handled by me also
    I imagine you're very busy! My guess is that you'd be best off centering your system around Moodle, simply because it's an established, open system designed for the education market and there's a large developer / contractor community around it. Historically, I think Moodle integrated with Drupal well, although by now I imagine both Joomla and Wordpress work equally well. Pick a management information system (maybe ScholarPack, as discussed in your other thread) and write any custom code you need to link the whole lot together. If you're planning on integrating logins with your Active Directory server remember that you'll need to sort out appropriate licensing. As you lecture in information systems you should be able to coordinate the integration of these various systems, but you'll probably want to hire people in to do the actual development work for you, especially (as it would seem from this post) if you don't have much by way of experience with something like PHP. This would be an advantage of using all open source systems, as you should be able to find plenty of developers capable of helping you out with all sizes of development requests. You might also want to look at your students for development work, as they might come quite cheap.

10. Thanks to dhicks from:

karan_jhr (6th August 2011)

Thank Post
    we are already using moodle but since our current website is static i am just giving a link to Moodle on the website. I will be moving to any of those open source CMS and will gradually link all the available systems together. As i searched there are lots of free plugins and extensions available in joomla to use forms etc .
    I hope it goes smoothly
    Thanks David, you are very helpful
    Just suggest me some useful apps or tools to be used in the starting

Thank Post
    you are right dhicks
    I completely misread this.

Anyway, for any web database type stuff I'd look at https://www.djangoproject.com/ which uses python, or a php equivalent

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread