+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, Making a database software in Coding and Web Development; Hi, I need to create a software for a recruiting company. I want to know, which are the tools I ...
    Thank Post

Smile Making a database software

Hi,

I need to create a software for a recruiting company. I want to know, which are the tools I will be requiring to create it. How long will it take?
    Can I create it using Visual Studio .net and SQL Server. ? It needs to be a server client application?
    Need help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nida_me14490 View Post
    I need to create a software for a recruiting company.
    Is this for an actual recruting company, or is this a homework exercise?

Can I create it using Visual Studio .net and SQL Server. ?
    Yes - if that's what you're most used to, and if it'll take you a while to figure out something else, then that's probably your best option. Personally I wouldn't write any new application as a traditional client/server application, with a platform-specific compiled client communicating with a server via a TCP port that in turn communicates with an SQL database, I'd go for a web-based interface to a database-driven backend.

If this is a school assignment then obviously you should use whatever system your teacher has decided is appropriate, but if this is an actual application you have to write then you might be a little out of your depth starting straight in with .Net / SQL development - you might want to see if there's an existing system you can customise to fit your needs, as I'm sure there are plenty of recruitment-specific applications out there (I think customer relationship management (CRM) systems are the sort of thing you might want to search for).

3. Thanks to dhicks from:

nida_me14490 (27th July 2011)

Thank Post

Hello

This is a really hard task if you dont know what your doing just saying

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Creating a piece of software like this really depends on what background you've got in computing.

The problem you're going to face is that if you have little training in programming, you may find yourself writing 100 lines of code where 10 lines could do the same thing, but faster. Writing this sort of thing as an amateur often leads to big problems down the line, as the system grows and needs changing.

Also, I'd agree with dhicks - don't go down the server/client route. There's no point any more, it just adds a requirement of installation/maintenance and increases security risks IMO. A web based system is much more suitable today.

What's your background here?

6. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Its not just a school assignment, its a final year project i have to do.
    I'm a final year student of engineering specializing in IT field.
    And its an actual recruiting company. I have also done my internship with them to see how stuff works there.
    and about background in programming, I've never really created an entire software on my own. Just completed my college projects, one of them was a database driven application, using oracle 10g as backend and visual basic as the front end.
    If not for .net framewok and sql, what are the other tools i can use to develop this.
    I've taken this as a final year project, so i should be able to finish this over a period of 4-5months.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I'd go for a web-based interface to a database-driven backend.
    Can you give me more details on this? Which are the languages i need to know.

Thank Post
    I would look at something along the lines of the M$ Dynamics engine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nida_me14490 View Post
    Can you give me more details on this? Which are the languages i need to know.
    You'd probably be best sticking with whatever langiages you've been taught or whatever development environments are available to you - if you've been taught a particular tool during your course you'd do best to stick with that. I remember on my third-year degree project thinking that Java sounded like a really great idea for what I was doing and wound up spending ages on platform compatability issues rather than what I was meant to be doing.

There are many language / database combinations around, one of the most common probably being PHP with MySQL. That's not really a recommendaton, though, there are bound to be more modern development platforms out there. If software development isnt the main focus of your degree then maybe a simplified, all-in-one programming environment might be more suitible - something that lets you use a nice graphical tool to see the different sections of your application. Again, it rather epends on what you've got available.

If this application is intended to be maintainable by the company you are building it for after you leave then you might want to consider licensing issues. As a student you might have access to the whole of Microsoft's library of database and development tools, and when learning how to develop applications licensing probably isn't thought about that much, but anything you deploy in a company is going to have to be properly licened. Therefore, if you use something like Microsoft SQL Server there'll be a cost involved for the end users.

It's going to be worth going through a proper database design exercise before you start doing any coding - figure out the structure of the database before you write any sort of interface on top of it.

11. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did this years ago with VB... well a very bad version using VB!

Thank Post
    You can write a database suite in whatever language you like. I have a modest record collection, 3000 bits of vinyl, 1200 CDs, 950 cassettes and 100 reel to reel tapes. I had these all indexed on cards, but the sheer number of index cards was unwieldy. Ten years ago I decided to chuck in all onto a database and since I had plenty of time, I decided that I was going to write the entire thing in bash (no MySQL or other database software), just pure bash. It uses a bunch of isam files, which are maintained purely with bash read/writes. It's damn quick too! The entire monster is 37K which runs the menus, the data entry screens and the reporting suite.

This year I decided to chuck a GUI on to it; the tty interface is all well and good but the time had come for a refresh. I wanted to use the existing data structure, which is till perfectly functional. No data conversion, no dropping the entire lot into MySQl or similar. I coded it in Perl/TK which is very easy to code in. The result looks good and has bells and whistles which tty lacked. It's slower than the tty version, but is *possibly* more usable; my partner finds the tty version intimidating but copes OK with the GUI version.

The real key to a database is the database design. Get that right and the coding exercise is trivial.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman View Post
    You can write a database suite in whatever language you like.
    It sounds as though the original poster is doing a homework exercise set for a university-level course, although the main focus of his course isn't software development. The application needs to support multiple, probably simultanious, users. If he writes an application using some other database system than the SQL-based ones he's probably been taught then he's going to have to handle process multual-exclusion himself, via whatever facilities are available in the language he uses. Given that this chap isn't an experienced developer and that this is a one-off sort of exercise for him, I'd stick with the SQL model to avoid complications.

The above is what annoys me about PHP (and, in fairness, probably most other scripting languages) - the lack of proper cross-platform process mutex / message-passing mechanisms. Most PHP developers don't seem to notice the difference, mind, as everyone seems to get taught to use an SQL database for everything without really considering quite why.

My favourite feature of Python is that you can write a single-threaded web server in about three lines of code, avoiding the whole mutual-exclusion issue the easy way. I notice that this concept seems to be catching on with server-side JavaScript - the idea being to have a single-threaded server that handles multiple users by simply handling requests very fast. For someone with a bit more experience I'd say something like that would be a good choice to develope this with - gives you a chance to play with a snazzy cutting-edge new system.

Thank Post
    Personally, just use Access, if you want to go fancy, load up VS and get it to convert to MSSQL and create a fancy VB\C# app

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I did this years ago with VB... well a very bad version using VB!
    Precisely the reason a lot of people dislike(d) VB - it lends itself to poor coding practices.

To the op - As you've used VB (I'm guessing you mean VB.net?), it might be worth sticking with it. However, VB.Net isn't the best language to develop a web based application in, C# is more aimed at Microsoft's web technology (ASP.net) - more information exists for it.

Although, if you do feel like being a little adventurous, I'd go look at python - I had a play with it a few months back without having used it at all, and managed to rustle up a web app in a day. It is an easy language to pick up, hugely flexible and there's tonnes of info about doing this sort of thing in it.

The database backend shouldn't *really* matter to be honest - your database won't get particularly complicated at this level of programming.

Thank Post
    Out of interest (and this may well help you as well) do you have any goals for the project and a clear vision of what the application should look like and actually do?
    Although I don’t do programming (at least not since college!) whenever I undertake a project like this my first step is to get a sheet of A3 and map out just how I think it’s going to work.
    For you that would cover the database connection to the web platform (or local application) and then how the end user GUI will look. Also would be a good chance to map out the fields you will be using in the database.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread