+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, Shares and folder permissions in VB.NET in Coding and Web Development; I've got an old application (VB6) that creates user shares and sets NTFS permissions that has worked since Windows 2000. ...

Thank Post

Shares and folder permissions in VB.NET

I've got an old application (VB6) that creates user shares and sets NTFS permissions that has worked since Windows 2000.

Now Server 2008/64bit has come along, and it won't work at all so it looks like a re-write. I'm using Visual Basic Express 2008 and so far can't see to find a simple way to do the following:

- Create a folder on a local drive
    - Share the above folder (and set the share permissions)
    - Set the permissions for a folder within that share and set them to replicate downwards

Has anyone got a code snippet or example they can show me? I'm going around circles here trying to find a way around this!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Localzuk made something similar without the sharing bit from the code of SetACL (opensource) and was good enough to post if for everyone here: Setting folder owners programatically

Thank Post
    Cheers for that - its a shame I can't register the ADsSecurity.dll on the Server 2008 box as that would save me a lot of time. This lets me set NTFS permissions quite easily

Not sure why I can't register it - it works ok on Server 2003 and various other Windows variants.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenWonder View Post
    its a shame I can't register the ADsSecurity.dll on the Server 2008 box as that would save me a lot of time.
    Very odd. I have this dll registered on my windows 7 machine thought it would work the same. I just put it into the syswow64 folder and did the usual regsvr32 command and it put it in for me. Only use it to create new year 7 accounts through a spreadsheet but makes it a doddle

Thank Post
    Sorry I wrote that wrong! I could register it,but it bombs out the program as soon as you try to create an object.

I've had to go backwards and simply use Shell commands to use cacls , which works. Seems a shame to go back to DOS commands but ADsSecurity is from 2001 and theres no update!

ANB

Thank Post
    It's probably too late but I have some free utilities which handle creating shares, setting permissions, and propagating them accordingly. I used to have them on my website at ANB Software Homepage but removed them when I merged them all together to make paid for applications. If you still need these then email me at adambent@anbsoftware.co.uk and I will email them over to you.

Adam

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread