+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, html cost calculator in Coding and Web Development; firstly hello to edugeek as i am new. I have joined this site as recently the upkeep/updating of our work ...

Thank Post

html cost calculator

firstly hello to edugeek as i am new. I have joined this site as recently the upkeep/updating of our work website has been made my job. The website is set up and online using word pad a html.
    I have a small amount of html code knowledge, my boss seems to think i know it all.
    I work for a small family run car hire company, my manager has asked me to make an online price calculator for our cars. I have no clue where to start. i can do all the boxes its just making it calculate the prices. can any one shed some light on the subject for me ?

p.s: please ignore spell/grammar as i am dyslexic

thanks
    chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To do something like that you probably want to look at learning a little bit of javascript, so long as it is not required to grab information from a database or send in orders at this point plain javascript in html should do fine for now.

Here is a good tutorial to work through on it JavaScript Tutorial

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    To do something like that you probably want to look at learning a little bit of javascript, so long as it is not required to grab information from a database or send in orders at this point plain javascript in html should do fine for now.

Here is a good tutorial to work through on it JavaScript Tutorial
    That or vbscript - which ever is easier - unless you were going to use a server side language such as php or asp classic or dot net ( possibly )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    It depends entirely on what you would like to achieve - if you are going to try and set up something like online ordering/payments then i would advise you went for something server side which grabbed the information you need on prices etc from a database or something. - not sure HTML cuts the mustard for what you are trying to achieve.

Toby

Thank Post
    oops missed that bit out. At first it will just simply tell them the pirce they will pay. Then they can either ring or email us. More of a price guide than anything. thanks for the replies

Thank Post
    Affordable Rentals Car Group A

want it to look kinda like that, but without the collect form.(sorry if posting that link is against forum rules)

Thank Post
    if your web host supports php i have a script that submits details from a form if you would like that.

is that your site or another one? as that runs javascript to set the information.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Let me google that for you

As per Glennda's ( Toby's ) Sig hehe

Thank Post
    Should be a piece of cake in javascript. Start by making a suitable form in HTML..

Thank Post
    im gonning to steer you towards PHP rather than javascript as suggested here, PHP is simpler to learn if you are just starting out like you seem to be.

write a HTML form, which posts to a file called result.php and in that file do your calculations and give the user the answer. i recommend you read this: PHP Tutorial - POST & GET

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    if your web host supports php i have a script that submits details from a form if you would like that.

is that your site or another one? as that runs javascript to set the information.
    that site is not mine it is a rival car hire company. just posted that so you could see the sort of thing i am after.
    I will have a word with my boss when i go to work and find out if the hoost supports php. whats the best way to find that out, if he dosent know ?
    may have to start dumbing stuff down for me as well lads. all the talk of php and stuff!!!

what do you mean by suitable html form ?

and thanks mac_shinobi, you helped.... a lot !
    Last edited by chrisboots; 12th April 2010 at 08:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisboots View Post
    I will have a word with my boss when i go to work and find out if the hoost supports php. whats the best way to find that out, if he dosent know ?
    may have to start dumbing stuff down for me as well lads. all the talk of php and stuff!!!
    To see if the host supports PHP, try creating a file, called say, test.php. In the file, post the following code:

Code:
    <?php 
      phpinfo();
    ?>
    and then upload the file to the site. Call the file by going to http://yoursite/test.php.

If it supports PHP, you should see a series of tables, full of PHP config info. Otherwise, it should error out, show a plain page, or show a page with the above code on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisboots View Post
    what do you mean by suitable html form ?
    You might be able to save a bit of time, and use something like this to create your form.

Hope this helps,

Maria

Thank Post
    One great advantage of going the Javascript route, is you can test it "locally" - it will work form a file loaded from local disk, whereas the serverside guff naturally needs... well, servers. You're also much less likely to run into security issues if you keep your logic client side.

Thank Post
    If you pm me across an email address i will send you over the php script for sending the results - i will also send you over a sample HTML form and explain how the form interacts with the script . It won't help you for your cost calculator but i use it on my sites for stuff like Contact us etc.

and as said above that's now you need to test. I would assume that if you are hosted on a linux apache server then php would be supported but you will need to check.

Thank Post
    have tested the php and it works

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread