+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Coding Thread, Beginning Programming in Coding and Web Development; Programming Language Popularity Probably quite a good example. I guess your right, there is no industry standard as such. I ...
    Thank Post
    Programming Language Popularity

Probably quite a good example. I guess your right, there is no industry standard as such. I do admit C# has gained huge popularity, but I do express concern over M$ and their sneaky ways of gaining market lock in!! Mono is a x-platform .NET equivalent, but it is not 100% and without being cautious you could easily lock yourself into Win32.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adameye View Post
    Ok so I have decided that I want to begin programming and as I am a beginner I'm intrested to know how other people started out?, what language? software, ect..
    Although I had done plenty of programming before I got to university, my first formal, taught course on programming was Simon Brock's introductory programming course at UEA. Handily, Simon has a column in this month's PC Pro magazine where he sums up the options for learning to program - you can skip the whole tedious 3-year degree thing, pick a language and get on with it.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adameye View Post
    I'm intrested to know how other people started out?, what language? software, ect..
    Started coping listing out of a magazine laying on the living room floor. Sinclear Basic on a 16K speccy . Moved on to BBC Basic and Locomotive Basic. A bit of Logo and then learned Pascal doing GCSE Computing. More Pascal, some assembler and lots of COBOL on the BTEC course. Then off to uni for a healthy dose of Java and C++, with a bit more assembly thrown in to boot.

My experience - user of meny, master of none, hatred of all.

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Although I had done plenty of programming before I got to university, my first formal, taught course on programming was Simon Brock's introductory programming course at UEA. Handily, Simon has a column in this month's PC Pro magazine where he sums up the options for learning to program - you can skip the whole tedious 3-year degree thing, pick a language and get on with it.
    Funny I spent three years at the UEA avoiding as meny programming courses as possible - pretty much only did the mandatory ones for the degree. I got a 3rd partly as a result - why did I choose to study an accountancy or databases module?. Got all my highest on the programming courses. Part of me wishes I'd knuckled down more while I was there and did all the coding modules. Oh Hum!

kip

Thank Post
    Started off in BASIC, then moved on to Z80 machine code, then to C on UNIX systems, followed by Visual Basic, Visual Dialogscript, Pascal, Delphi, HTML, Javascript, CSS, VBA and on and on

Thank Post
    I started on z80 assembler, then basic, 6502 assembler, COBOL, Pascal, Ada, C, Java, VB.

Other than the quirks of the language, its layouts and conventions, the language is largely irrelevant to a decent programmer.
    Programming is about the design methodology, data structures, and Human Computer Interaction (presentation and user interface).

Java is a great place to start as it uses a fairly easy structure once you understand the object model, You can code with notepad and command line.
    Once you get some traction in the language then Eclipse is a great IDE and creating User Interface's is easy.

Your code is portable, as near to write once-run anywhere as there is.
    And it allows you to easily migrate to advanced programming methods such as the use of frameworks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234