+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Coding Thread, Beginning Programming in Coding and Web Development; I think a combination of PHP, HTML, SQL, CSS and a smidging of Javascript is the way to go. I ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think a combination of PHP, HTML, SQL, CSS and a smidging of Javascript is the way to go. I hear Ruby is good to throw into that mix for some problems (never really looked at or tried Ruby).

That said - I really, really, really hate programing (except maybe in COBOL but whats the use in that?)

Thank Post
    If your using and plan on using mainly windows servers then id go for the .net platform.

Very robust and easy to pickup.

Thank Post
    I would suggest that what ever your looking into, start basic and work up. Its all well and good starting with the visual languages but try creating console programs first, experimenting with input and outputs and getting to grips with the std:: libs etc. If you go straight into visual programming with c++ you will miss out on some important lessons and will find programs very hard to debug.

Thank Post
    As Jamo said, learn the basics. learn how to use libraries, the difference between loops (do..while / while / for), function calls (some languages have a difference for a procedure and function).

Once you've mastered a few programs then you can work up to object oriented programming and examine code modularity and code reusability. Eventually work towards understanding why objects should have high cohesion and loose coupling.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    That said - I really, really, really hate programing (except maybe in COBOL but whats the use in that?)
    COBOL... wow that goes back abit Im sure it still lives somewhere

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    COBOL... wow that goes back abit Im sure it still lives somewhere
    Very big in banks apparantly. If programming didn't enduce narcalepsy I'd be rich by now!

Thank Post
    C-type languages will teach you better habits but the learning curve is steep
    I always say C# these days (and that Sharp Kids thing is good).. the syntax works in lots of other languages and most of the effort in making useful code is dealing with the library function calls - the language itself is not that hard unless you have interesting difficulties with the case-sensitivity.

A C-type gives you lots of grounding to go play with lots of other languages later, I've always thought VB kind of boxes you in.

PS whoeveritwas 1: I'm very experienced and do not like VB - experience isn't a factor.

PSS whoeveritwas 2: ASP is not a VBScript thing, all mine pretty much since ASP arrived in the world have been written in (c-type) JScript.

8. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

mac_shinobi (11th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Learning something in 24 hours books, thats how I learnt, do C#

Thank Post
    do think about the fact that if you learn c# that you are committing yourself to windows. (same for vb also but the learning curve is shorter)

c++ is industry standard, and it is that for a reason. do think of your purpose of wanting to program. my reason is games as i am in the progress of writing one atm, 12000 lines and counting!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    Learning something in 24 hours books, thats how I learnt, do C#
    I've always found that they only teach you a little bit ie variables, loops, arrays etc but never taught me the things that actually do the work that return useful info such as WMI, API's and how to use them, what they do, what they access etc etc and I am still learning a lot

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    do think about the fact that if you learn c# that you are committing yourself to windows. (same for vb also but the learning curve is shorter)

c++ is industry standard, and it is that for a reason. do think of your purpose of wanting to program. my reason is games as i am in the progress of writing one atm, 12000 lines and counting!
    any links ( or links coming up soon ) so we can see this game once its done ??

Thank Post
    its called genengine on sourceforge its a dx9 engine atm just adding a windowing class. done an openal audio wrapper and xercesc wrapper forit also. unfortunately now comes the part of designing the game!

btw u can svn it from sourceforge if u wanna see it

Thank Post
    Started with C#, then to Java & C++. Also dabbled in Python and various scripting languages. Am now on Android which uses java syntax and a subset of its libraries. My first app is creeping up to 1000 downloads now.

Thank Post
    Python is not good for beginners. Not that it is hard, I feel the syntax is too different to C/Java/Perl family. It would be better to go from some of them to Python.

Best way to learn a language is to find a project that would be useful for your work, and then program it. Could be a web based database or an application that works with managing workstations. You might want to replace something that you pay for every year, with something you make yourself.

Thank Post
    c# that you are committing yourself to windows
    What about mono? Not that I've ever looked at it..

c++ is industry standard
    According to whom? There is no "industry standard" unless you've got some specific industrial corner in mind. It was certainly quite common, a lot of software houses invested in lot of C++ library code, and dotNet free C++ (or C) is pretty much essential in some dev areas. But I just looked at a jobs site, here are the results:

C# : 2898
    C++: 1563

C# wins.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast