+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Coding Thread, Beginning Programming in Coding and Web Development; I'm a first year Uni student, doing Computing, and they currently teach us Python in the first year. Its a ...

Thank Post
    I'm a first year Uni student, doing Computing, and they currently teach us Python in the first year.

Its a really easy language to learn, some good books about as well as online help.

I've found it useful for learning the basic programming techniques such as if statements, loops, data types, object orientated programming.

You can do some nice stuff with it, I've used it to create a basic pac-man style game and for my current coursework I'm working on creating a program to upload photos to Google Piccassa.

For more info see Python Programming Language -- Official Website

2. Thanks to BTCC_Fan from:

adameye (10th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Not that im a programmer (more a scripter) but i think a better question is why do you want to learn programming? That is, for work/career you should think about the industry you want to get into and if its personal then what do you want to be able to do?
    I'm thinking about Education, but at the minute I'm happy to use it for personal, something on the side for me to play around with.

Thank Post
    If a complete beginner - try Scratch

At least you'll have some fun and its impossible to make a syntax error

regards

Simon

5. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BTCC_Fan View Post
    I'm a first year Uni student, doing Computing, and they currently teach us Python in the first year.
    Looks interesting! Is this the first step you have ever taken into programming?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Not that im a programmer (more a scripter) but i think a better question is why do you want to learn programming? That is, for work/career you should think about the industry you want to get into and if its personal then what do you want to be able to do?
    I prefer scripting too. Mainly because its super handy in work and being able to do clever things with webpages is always useful. like when you know Active Server Pages (an extension of vbscript) you can make webpages that interface with microsoft products/active directory, exchange, isa server etc.
    I have an internet management site that talks to ISAserver and one that talks to AD that makes banning kids from the net easier.

8. Thanks to browolf from:

Thank Post
    Yup it is, previous to this I'd never done any programming.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    If a complete beginner - try Scratch

At least you'll have some fun and its impossible to make a syntax error

regards

Simon
    thanks simon,

i have seen this being used by students in a few primary schools i visited, looks really fun but its not to my taste as i'm looking into windows software development.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    I prefer scripting too. Mainly because its super handy in work and being able to do clever things with webpages is always useful. like when you know Active Server Pages (an extension of vbscript) you can make webpages that interface with microsoft products/active directory, exchange, isa server etc.
    I have an internet management site that talks to ISAserver and one that talks to AD that makes banning kids from the net easier.
    hta might be a good one to add and seeing as he has done html and css - maybe use either java or vbscript - make a nice gui and be able to do useful things.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ee692768.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../dd742317.aspx

I started out with vba and then to vb6 and then to scripting and mixed in some php and classic asp ( which is now on asp.net )
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th March 2010 at 04:31 PM.

12. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BTCC_Fan View Post

Its a really easy language to learn, some good books about as well as online help.

I've found it useful for learning the basic programming techniques such as if statements, loops, data types, object orientated programming.

You can do some nice stuff with it, I've used it to create a basic pac-man style game and for my current coursework I'm working on creating a program to upload photos to Google Piccassa.

For more info see Python Programming Language -- Official Website
    In my first year we got taught Scheme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_...mming_language)) and then Ada95 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(programming_language)). Scheme was chosen as they expected a number of people to already have programming experience and wanted to start from scratch to get rid of as many bad habits as possible

Python is a great first language though.

14. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Thank Post
    I learnt: VB (version 5 i think), C/C++, Pascal, Ada, Java, Eiffel, C#.

What are you wanting to program? Desktop applications or web applications? I'd recommend learning Java, or C#. But i know VB.NET is quite popular with beginners (and more experienced) programmers.

In all honesty once you've learnt one language they all have fairly similar syntax and semantics.

Lee

16. Thanks to Lee_K_81 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81 View Post
    I learnt: VB (version 5 i think), C/C++, Pascal, Ada, Java, Eiffel, C#.

What are you wanting to program? Desktop applications or web applications?
    Desktop Applications, and maybe as mentioned above the web applications that can integrate with windows server apps e.g. ASP, PHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81 View Post
    I'd recommend learning Java, or C#. But i know VB.NET is quite popular with beginners (and more experienced) programmers.

In all honesty once you've learnt one language they all have fairly similar syntax and semantics.

Lee
    and thanks, I was just looking into jobs for Java developers the other day and noticed most of them where offering 75,000++

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adameye View Post
    Desktop Applications, and maybe as mentioned above the web applications that can integrate with windows server apps e.g. ASP, PHP.

and thanks, I was just looking into jobs for Java developers the other day and noticed most of them where offering 75,000++
    what compiler / IDE would anyone suggest for starting out with java - I recall using blue jay at uni but never took java any further then java script which is totally different as that is more web based then hardcore programming.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    what compiler / IDE would anyone suggest for starting out with java - I recall using blue jay at uni but never took java any further then java script which is totally different as that is more web based then hardcore programming.
    Netbeans

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    Yeah thats why i use scripting too, its more of an extension of my job rather which improve level of support and as you can do clever things with it.

@adameye: Given what you want to do, then i would say you are on the right track already starting with VB. Im sure someone here will be able to recommend a good book or two or perhaps some website resources.

Thank Post
    PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor if you want php resources.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast