duncane (5th February 2010)
Some of you may remember a thread I did almost two years ago (wow) on a system i've been developing to help manage our network. Our network is a plain vanila windows network so no real useful *single* suite of tools to help us out in an educational environment... Sure there are various tools out there and various suites, but with no money at the time and some rather unique systems and needs, a custom solution seemed right!
It's matured alot since my first thread about it, various systems have been cut, various systems have been finished and new ones have been added. I've always developed it with an aim to be used in other schools, but always been unsure if the best way would be free, opensource or commercial.
Still undecided and with no reply from a possible channel, i've decided to make parts of it opensource which perhaps will lead to all of it being opensource.
The main UI is based on the Office 2007 ribbon bar so i've decided to release the project which handles that. This is mainly for developers so they can put their own projects into the style of the ribbon bar but hopefully may attract some attention
The project is hosted on Github:- brainthee's Imperium-OS at master - GitHub Feel free to download and use. If you do use it in any of your projects, either a mention or a simple e-mail to let me know would be nice
duncane (5th February 2010)
Even if you aren't planning to release the whole product, would you be willing to show off what you've created with Imperium as it looks awesome!
Will do, i've done various screenshots (which are at work afaik) but did do some videos... however all of these were done in a live environment so they will either have to be edited or i'll get a demo up and running with sample users... eitherway, i'll get something for you for Tuesday
Edu-IT (31st January 2010)
I'm afraid I've got no videos to show as we've been busy as hell this week... however i've got some screen shots of a very new system I've just implemented.
We've had the issue of students (and staff!) connecting unauthorised laptops/kit to our network, in an attempt to stop this (or at least detect it) I've tackled it in two half's.
(P.s. yes I know about port security/mac security etc... I love it, but it means it's a pain if we want to move kit around)
1) Imperium has a built in DHCP listener when run as an admin. This listens in to all sides of the DHCP exchange and tracks hardware that asks, and the server's that reply. All of this data is logged. This forms the first side where it detects *if* someone connects their kit to the network. (I'm aware if they set a static IP that wont pick it up... that's the next plan of attack!!). If the MAC is flagged as unauthorised (or rather, isnt found as an authorised MAC) then admins are notified.
2) Imperium now includes a MAC Trace system. Basically, when set-up correctly, it knows the layout of your network. It then allows you to perform a MAC trace by searching the MAC tables of all of the switches looking for port's that MAC has been seen on. It then discounts the ports which are switch to switch uplinks... hopefully leaving the one that they have been/are connected to!
I've been testing it for the last few hours and seems to work. It's all done via SNMP though so hardware which doesn't stick to OID standards wont prob work. Of course it also relies on the fact that the switches are managed. Not a perfect system by any means, but works here :P
The screen shot for the MAC Trace Results dont show the uplink ports discounted as I dont have all of the links detected yet.
I've also got plans to adapt this for our wireless network so it can scan our AP's and find out if it's local to any AP's. I know how to do this with our colubris network but i'm not sure if it would apply to any others.
If you have a copy of this latest version, I would love to trial it on my Win2K8R2 server and W7 machines.
Still very much in development I'm afraid.
While I've tried to write it as modular and as separated from our network as possible, there's no front end for configuring it for a new environment so it would all have to be physically editing the database entries.
I'm kinda hoping if there's enough interest in it, it'll kick me into gear to do the setup wizard front end
I have no idea how it'll perform/work on Windows 7... never tried it (though I plan to)! I think I did try once (long ago) and it had to be launched as an Administrator due to part of it (I think it's the USB Devices monitoring system that requires that...).
Still, if people would like it, please let me know... the more I know it's wanted the more likely I'll sort it out so it's usable outside of our network.
Something to take note of... Any use of the Office UI (Ribbon) must comply with Microsoft's design rules and the OP must sign the license agreement to develop this.
Office UI Licensing
Further, any software which is then developed which uses this interface must then register with MS also. (Same link above).
A discussion of this situation can be found here: The evil of the Office UI ribbon license - Frans Bouma's blog
One of the provisos of creating a ribbon UI is that it must comply with the style guidelines set down by MS, and if they change the guidelines, the ribbon must also update and follow the new guidelines and any software using it must also update - within 6 months.
Also note, that according to the boffins at Groklaw, the license agreement means that the ribbon can't be used in any application which utilises any OSI approved Open Source licenses... http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic....61122235224396
Last edited by localzuk; 16th February 2010 at 02:51 PM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)