+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Coding Thread, Largest project you've worked on... in Coding and Web Development; Keeping in mind i'd imagine most of us either arnt "professional" programmers or full time programmers, whats the largest project ...
    Thank Post

Largest project you've worked on...

Keeping in mind i'd imagine most of us either arnt "professional" programmers or full time programmers, whats the largest project you've worked on. How many lines of code? Was it for a purpose (i.e. work related) or some personal home project.

I guess i'll start the ball rolling...

I'm working on a network management system at work, started off just to manage multiple logins and printer & drive mappings, it's now > 10mb in size compiled, over 200mb source and contains over 500,000 lines of code and writen in C#

Thank Post
    The Debian project. Counting any kind of metrics would probably be a waste of my time

Thank Post
    Hmm not sure if these count... but you didn't specify programming in the title (although it's in the coding section... but hay I like to boast)so here goes...

Project 1, Renovation of some key websites with around 200,000 visitors a week this means moving all the sites out of static HTML and into Plone.

Project 2, Open up a university (not saying which one) online store. expected to pay for itself in 1-2 years and turn over around 2 million+ pounds (for the project to be considered a success, against other universitys).

All of this is expected to take place fairly soon so watch this space I may be asking for your views in the future

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    During a previous job I worked in implementation and testing on a big logistics system for the RAF.

Unfortunately the importance of the project (in terms of contributing to the defence of the nation, managing life-or-death risks) did not sufficiently offset that fact that I found the work incredibly tedious, and it cemented my view that I don't want to be a full-time developer ever again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I once wrote an adventure game in SQL and Rexx which ran on a IBM Mainframe. Everything was saved as a query and I printed it all out which helped me map out the game which was called:

' Hunt for the tartar sauce '

The game sort of developed into an obsession with me and every min I was not doing what I was supposed to be doing on the DB2 database I was busy setting the next puzzle task etc. The tartar sauce was hidden within a store and you had to get to the right table and run the correct query to find it.
    At once stage not happy with the amount of possible settings the game could take I actually made an animation of a running man go across the screen which looked more like a series of CLS commands from the BASIC days - all this was a load of rexx screens slowy moving the running man various arms and legs parts. And oh yes, this was all done on a Dumb Terminal.
    I finished off the game by knocking up a procedure for it highlighting the tasks etc and shared it as public...... which really was not a good idea as word got around rather quick and I shat my pants when I popped down to our HR department and every single person was playing it. In a mass panic I quickly revoked access to the procedure but it was too late - the mainframe had logged every single clock cycle that it took and I was asked to explain my actions to some of the various heads of departments......
    Strange thing is when I applied for a job in the IT department they gave me a choice of where I wanted to go..........Programing or Support - I took support, paying for it now......
    God knows how many lines of code the game was but it took on average about 8 hours to complete. One legacy of the game is that the running man sort of came a dumb terminal screen saver.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Probably Classroombookings.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    YAY Classroom Bookings rocks But the multi-million$ question is when is V2

Thank Post
    It's not how big it is, but how you write it that counts

Seriously.. I've done the pro-thing more than anything else and since that is a world full of deadlines I inevitably think about project size in man-hours. Number of lines discriminates against finesse, tells us nothing about difficulty etc.

9. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

webman (29th September 2009)

Thank Post
    I worked on a handheld scanner (like you get in Sainsburys for self-scanning) to run off of an ePos system called Infinity (which I modded too) in .NET for mobile devices and the SOAP server in delphi. Overall it was about 1000 lines of code for the .NET side & around 1000 for the server. It's now used in Flowerlands apparently by staff for online order gathering or something...

I also wrote the C side of it which is ugly and pretty crud in terms of functionality, it's for price checking/changing price
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 29th September 2009 at 07:45 AM.

Thank Post
    25m+ Disaster Recovery solution for a major high street bank, involving near real-time mirroring of data 150km between two mainframe data centres, with automation to detect failure & invoke dynamic switch-over. I hasten to add, I didn't do it single handed

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our cashless catering system. (Still growing, so not ready for general release but we're using it in school now).

Probably close to 50k lines of code so far. But more appropriate would be 8 months of work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    It's not how big it is, but how you write it that counts

Seriously.. I've done the pro-thing more than anything else and since that is a world full of deadlines I inevitably think about project size in man-hours. Number of lines discriminates against finesse, tells us nothing about difficulty etc.
    Of course, but it's something to brag about for those of us who arnt in or havnt been in the industry :P

Personally I find programming a nice break from the norm, I love problem solving and you cant get more problem solving and in-depth in IT than in programming.

Just started this to let everyone show off a bit :P

(P.s. I'd always say "finesse" is always ofset on the project importance. I.e. if you're writing a quick program to do something at home which you may only do once or twice... it's not really worth the time making routines 100% effecient and adding stacks of error checking. Yet something like Imperium which will be used on stacks of machines in lessons... it simply must not crash! (still working on that :P))

Quite impressed with some of the things people have done here! Even more impressed with the projects that have been made available via edugeek!
    Last edited by stratisphere; 29th September 2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Moved things around, made more sense

Thank Post
    Only 6k lines of code, its a 3D Game engine based on DX9 and openAL does 2D graphics and 3d sound

Supports OGG Vorbis streaming and playlists, and fullscreen pixel shader post processing effects

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I once wrote an adventure game in SQL and Rexx which ran on a IBM Mainframe.
    Ha - I see your SQL and Rexx and raise you a language interpreter written in Scheme (a LISP varient) that I then wrote an adventure game on top of. Also on an IBM machine, running AIX Unix, I seem to remember. It wasn't that large, but it was large enough so that it only just fitted into working memory - two more bytes and the whole thing would refuse to load. I had to go through and trim the descriptive text to make it less verbose.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I have not a clue about programming and looking at what you guys have done has given me a headache! Kudos to each and everyone of you for being mathmatically inclined

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast