10mb in size compiled, over 200mb source and contains over 500,000 lines" /> Largest project you've worked on... - Page 3

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Coding Thread, Largest project you've worked on... in Coding and Web Development; I was a major feature programmer for Stepmania. Short of that, loads of in-house systems are coded by yours truely....
    Thank Post
    I was a major feature programmer for Stepmania. Short of that, loads of in-house systems are coded by yours truely.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Dabbled around with vb 6 and some vb .net but mostly been vb scripting ( a printer script on one of the threads I've posted ) and done some asp classic with sql and querrying the slq db as well as some php - not sure if scripting and the likes counts ?

I saw some vb 6 DX examples but at the time after a month of starting vb 6 some years ago looked a bit daunting and complicated so never tried anything more but would be nice to give some open gl or dx stuff a shot.

Not to go off on a tanget but if someone could post some decent tutorials on either direct x or open gl using vb .net - not too great with c# yet and vb.net would be a nice starting point ref direct x or open gl.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd November 2009 at 08:36 AM.

Thank Post
    Used to run Romarchive.com, which was a massive online archive of Rom files for classic arcade machines (effectively, the complete MAME Roms database) with full credits system and programming interface for restoring the roms onto arcade EPROMs, and also allowed users to hook up their arcade machines and make live backups of their current roms to their account... but my partner in the project passed away and it's long since been abandoned and lost to the depths of time. Now just do webdesign / PHP dev work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post

A very simple 8bit RISC processor emulator and machine monitor written in Turbo Pascal. This was part of my university degree course.
    ditto. Created a software simulation of Stanford Uni's MIPS-X RISC Processor in Turbo Pascal (loved it) for my degree.

used Turbo Pascal to create a registration system for day release students attending a college.

used VBA in Excel and Word to process loads of data from Quantity Surveyors to generate Tax Certificates for clients to claim back capital allowances on buildings and machinery.

C project as part of a team at Case Communications in Watford - ship to shore messaging system for the Russians in the era of Glasnost.

VBA project to track the replication of Video of Demand files across hundreds of windows media servers.

Can't say I've done much programming for years. A batch file to convert SPX files to MP3 format using VLC is one of the few pseudo programming task in recent memory.

Thank Post
    I guess this doesn't really count but i'm just learning to walk with PHP so I decieded to give myself a project of creating a CMS still working on it though, fingers crossed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Largest project I ever worked on was just for pleasure (programming for pleasure, am I really that geeky?!)

It was a Worms style TBS called Gorilla Warfare (that's not a typo, the characters were all gorillas ) made up of a few thousand lines of code including a random terrain generator (took hours to get the math right on that one!) and was on the path to having 'plug-in' style weapons (i.e. you'd be able to download weapons online, add them to a folder on your hard drive and use them in-game).

Spent around 4 months chipping away a couple of hours a day and then *disaster* HDD failure, lost the lot.

Moral of the story (and a tough lesson learned) ALWAYS MAKE BACKUPS!

PEO
    Thank Post
    probably making a baby with the future wife.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Dabbled around with vb 6 and some vb .net but mostly been vb scripting ( a printer script on one of the threads I've posted ) and done some asp classic with sql and querrying the slq db as well as some php - not sure if scripting and the likes counts ?

I saw some vb 6 DX examples but at the time after a month of starting vb 6 some years ago looked a bit daunting and complicated so never tried anything more but would be nice to give some open gl or dx stuff a shot.

Not to go off on a tanget but if someone could post some decent tutorials on either direct x or open gl using vb .net - not too great with c# yet and vb.net would be a nice starting point ref direct x or open gl.

Try some of these
    OpenGL - The Industry Standard for High Performance Graphics

OpenGL API Code & Tutorial Listings

Getting started - OpenGL.org

Thank Post
    moving 200,000 websites from unix platform to linux in two months without customers even knowing what was happening

Thank Post
    Just noticed this thread.

When BBC Micro came out, I wrote a floppy disc based database suite called TxBase (just in case anyone with a copy is reading this - I'd love to find a copy of it!)

But my best program was my BBC Micro emulator of the original Star Trek mainframe game -its what microcomputers were invented for! - Ah - the good old days when life was simple and my brayn still worked OK

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    A few VB scripts for my ICT project at college, mainly macros for Excel and Access nothing fancy just functional tools.
    Maybe 200 lines (with 100 of them recorded).
    I’d love to learn more about programming one day but just don’t have the enthusiasm to take it up in any serious way.

Thank Post
    Code:
     int main() 
     {
            printf("hello, world");
            return 0;
     }

Thank Post
    Problem is doing these from many IDEs is appalling. Why not start by tinkering with XNA Game Studio ?

Admittedly it is C# but the VB.Net is just C# with a new syntax. I have seen DX/OGL and other tuts for VB but they tend to be less common because most people don't like VB.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by autismuk View Post
    Problem is doing these from many IDEs is appalling. Why not start by tinkering with XNA Game Studio ?

Admittedly it is C# but the VB.Net is just C# with a new syntax. I have seen DX/OGL and other tuts for VB but they tend to be less common because most people don't like VB.
    As a regular user of VB.Net and XNA Game Studio, I can vouch for that. Very easy to get in to, great results and if you really get in to it, for 65 a year (don't quote me on the price) you can publish your creations to Xbox Live Marketplace and earn a few quid

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123