+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Coding Thread, Largest project you've worked on... in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by dhicks Ha - I see your SQL and Rexx and raise you a language interpreter written in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Ha - I see your SQL and Rexx and raise you a language interpreter written in Scheme (a LISP varient) that I then wrote an adventure game on top of. Also on an IBM machine, running AIX Unix, I seem to remember. It wasn't that large, but it was large enough so that it only just fitted into working memory - two more bytes and the whole thing would refuse to load. I had to go through and trim the descriptive text to make it less verbose.

--
    David Hicks
    AIX - never could get my head around it.... Yes but did yours run in an IBM 3270 Emulator ?
    Mine did.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to be a professional programmer. I ended up working on some largeish public sector projects. It was soul destroying. I hated it. I left. I am never going back to that dark place. You can't make me! *shiver* *twitch*

rad
    Thank Post
    I can't stand programming, hated it at school/college so knew i was no good at it.

Thank Post
    I hated it at first because I couldn't make anything good, disheartening writing console applications with simple numbered menu's and simple case statements when you look at things like an operating system.:-(

Thank Post
    I find programming so interesting, I started my whole project as a console project, and its developed into an entire graphics engine. Once you have the basis for all of it, adding other parts becomes much quicker. Code reusability is definiately a good thing!

Still its just a hobby at the moment, I am hoping to make something useful in the end though!

Thank Post
    I wrote Conveyancing, Litigation and Probate systems for legal practices a long time ago - can't believe I did it all single handed. This was in "4GLs" under Unix. Loved programming to start with, but after 5 or 6 years I was completely bored - soon as I knew I could do it - it was just long winded typing.

Thank Post
    i'm about to start programming a project management and ovettime system for my mums company in PHP. they employee about 50 people though, so nothing major.

Thank Post
    My biggest project is probabbly the one im working on now.

Ive made quite a few CMSs in the past all of them written in PHP and specific to the site im working on at the time. My current project is a CMS written in Ruby on Rails.

Its project info page is up on my site (running the CMS as the test bed)

Arcath.net :: Train

Ive also written a few things for work, a vist log and a couple of little databases

Thank Post
    In 1997 I wrote an online Auction system for buying and selling milk quota for farmers.

In 1998 Ebay launched!

Thank Post
    I've done a fair few things - nothing vast compared to some of you.

From 1990 - 2004 I've been active in various projects mostly to do with IRC.
    This included overhauling various builds of IRC-Server software and IRC-Services (add-on) software.

All of it in ANSI C, written on Linux which later compiled under Windows.

On some projects I worked alone - on some it was a team based effort.

I can't add up the man-hours because it was all over the place, never consistent hours, it was more for a hobby than anything.

As for now... I'd love to get back into it, but I figure I'd have to learn C++, then C# to even think about doing stuff in Windows now. For the moment I'm doing lots of scripts with KiXstart and AutoIT.

My current project is a Client/Server for basic remote tasks on PCs that can't (currently) be accomplished by other means here on site. Had to look over my old C TCP notes to get it to do some of what I'd like but it's all a learning curve

I'm very interested in the project of stratispheres' - C#... sounds like something I'd like to do with our system here but I'm not employed as a programmer - did you learn C# just 'as-is'?

Az

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm nowhere near to being even a competent programmer. Then again I hate it, I find it mononous and boring. That said I have written a few lines of code - mostly text based console stuff.

Some of my finest moments include...

An adventure game based on the London Underground written with GAC (Graphical Adventure Creater) for a Amstrad Action magazine compition.

An interpreter, originonally written in BBC BASIC and then "ported" to Amos BASIC, for the Pilot programming language.

A very simple 8bit RISC processor emulator and machine monitor written in Turbo Pascal. This was part of my university degree course.

A HTML/PHP/SQL database for our schools IT assets database. Probably the single most modular design I've come up with and has since been expanded for logging non IT assets.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    I once wrote a batch file (have written a couple more since) still don't like programming, I feel you have to have a certain mindset to get underneath the bonnet of whichever OS system you are using and as I am out of my mind this doesn't help.

Thank Post
    I started my IT career in 1972 as a programmer; I spend a whole summer converting & recompiling Fortran subroutines to run on an IBM Mainframe..... it was soul destroying. I then learned to program in PL/I as a commercial programmer analyst before becoming a mainframe systems programmer on IBM S/360, then S/370, ending up on Z-Series before moving into services & consultancy in 1990. I only turned to the 'dark side' of Windows about 8-10 years ago......

I have seen programming languages evolve considerably over the last 37 years; the first 'huge' mainframe system I worked on had 4mb memory & where every bit counted, the last was a closely coupled cluster of mainframes each with 32gb, running huge DB2 relational databases......

I do admire anyone who can write games code though; my brain is too firmly locked into 'boring' systems programming to ever change now.... not that I write much these days.... just a few scripts

pod

Thank Post
    To answer your question, I created a room booking system for my school and now other schools use it. It's sort of grown and become a commercial thing, although I haven't given up the day job just yet.

On the back of my booking system I have now been employed by a large company to create a bespoke booking system, this time for the public to book facilities out of school hours for a group of schools. This is a big project so I have partnered with another IT firm and they provide support.

I have come to realise that those who create, rather than maintain, tend to get more kudos or money for their efforts. Most folk here like myself work in support roles but there is always opportunity to create new solutions in education as we usually have the resources and know-how to do so.

Thank Post
    Narrowly escaped becoming a full-time software engineer (didn't fancy being stuck in a cubicle at BAE Systems), but since then have done a fair few PHP-based projects, probably the one that's seen the most actual use is the RISC OS Filebase (and the associated ANS Newsletter) - been going for over ten years now, and the current code dates back quite a way, so it's probably fairly 'orrible

I'm currently working on our new internal (and eventually external) helpdesk/knowledgebase/stock-control/online-quotation-mangement system - which is presently around 24,500 lines of code.

Stephen

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast