+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, ruby on rails in Coding and Web Development; Thought I'd have a go at ruby on rails, gonna install it on portable ubuntu (that's the plan anyways). Watched ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ruby on rails

Thought I'd have a go at ruby on rails, gonna install it on portable ubuntu (that's the plan anyways). Watched a few videos and it seems pretty neat but kind of obscure at the same time. anyone actually use it or tried it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tried and failed - obscure is an understatement.

I decided to stick with PHP

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Incase anyone else wants to try, Successfully got it installed following these instructions
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RubyOnRails

on portable ubuntu after a sudo update and upgrade. the default sudo password is "123456"

Thank Post
    I'm just finishing up my first Rails project. Rails is a nice web framework but I have to admit there's quite a steep learning curve. Luckily I had used Ruby before, so it wasn't too hard to understand the actual coding side.

This book has been very useful. It takes you through building an online catalogue type of website and also has a reasonably in-depth reference for Rails and an introduction to Ruby.

Railscasts is a great site. You can really get a feel for developing in Rails, even of some of the content might be over your head for now (and mine!).

There are some interesting Rails podcasts too, if you like that kind of thing.

Rails is evolving so fast it can be hard to keep up. If you're using Google to find answers to programming problems make sure the information you find is up-to-date, or you could find yourself using deprecated techniques. I recommend you think of some small project to work on and just go for it. While you're learning, you need to do everything 'the Rails way' - you won't see the advantage of using a framework if you try to bend it to preconcieved ideas from php, asp.net etc.

Thank Post
    Im writing a CMS in rails at the moment. *resists urge to link plug*

Once i got my head round the way it works progress has been allot quicker than when i did a similar thing in PHP.

Thank Post
    I've worked on and off with Rails for a while now, I'm a big fan of Ruby and had always heard good things about Rails. The most useful book I found was this one: The Pragmatic Bookshelf | Rails for PHP Developers
    One of the problems I found with many Rails tutorials is they tended to jump straight into using the scaffolding and whilst you ended up with a working app quickly, you didn't really understand how it was constructed. Took me a good while (and that's with many years of programming experience in various languages) before I think I actually got it. I still find I often ask myself what the right way of doing something in Rails is, but I guess that's the price a youngish framework pays. It's worth sticking with, especially now Passenger is available for easy deployment: Overview — Phusion Passenger (a.k.a. mod_rails / mod_rack)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread