+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, Request for c# developers in Coding and Web Development; I am looking for help with an open source project that I have started. Which will enable PC to managed ...
    Thank Post

Request for c# developers

I am looking for help with an open source project that I have started. Which will enable PC to managed from a central PC without requiring a client running.

Coding skills involved are c#,WMI, SQLite(Ado.net), XML, CHM help file integration.

See this thread for further info.

Project itself is currently hosted at Power Manager ?(SlimmerIT)?

Any level of experience accepted, just starting to reallise that this project is getting too big to do myself in free time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks interesting, would be interested in integrating some additional Vista/7 support with WinRM connections and possibly the WMI Batch command utility that I was messing with. Have you found a way to query the MAC addresses off the DHCP leases without being on the DHCP server itself? When I was looking all I could find were Windows API calls. Could also be fun to tack in support for the windows remote assistance technology which would allow for interactive sessions without the need for VNC to be installed.

Thank Post
    I may be in a position to help, but it's difficult to know without seeing the code.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Looks interesting, would be interested in integrating some additional Vista/7 support with WinRM connections and possibly the WMI Batch command utility that I was messing with. Have you found a way to query the MAC addresses off the DHCP leases without being on the DHCP server itself? When I was looking all I could find were Windows API calls. Could also be fun to tack in support for the windows remote assistance technology which would allow for interactive sessions without the need for VNC to be installed.
    Yes I have figured out a way to Win API working via interop to allow me to process data from a remote DHCP server.

This is currently in an experimental software project awaiting integration. Getting this working was tough, on a par with remote screen shots! I hope to get this into the main project next week. The code queries all scopes on a server then enumerates the scopes on the server for active leases. But was pleasing todo as no pre made examples so is my own work

Already worked out howto to get MACs via broadcast and wmi, but is no use if the PC is not turned on!

We have a couple of Win 7 pcs at work so will look at getting this working with winRM.

Will hopefully get the code uploaded this weekend, if anyone wants to play with initial binaries then please PM me.

Thank Post
    all I could find were Windows API calls
    I don't think you overlooked anything.

Yes I have figured out a way to Win API working via interop to allow me to process data from a remote DHCP server.
    I'd have said DhcpEnumSubnetClients() etc. from DHCPSAPI if you'd asked when I'd been paying attention. Was that what you you used? If so, using that from C# isn't something I'd label "trivial" - not surprised you feel a bit victorious.

tack in support for the windows remote assistance technology
    I looked at doing that programmatically last year for an AD computer context menu extension and TBH it looked like a very serious pain. Luckily I only needed it to run from a 2008 DC so I did that extension with just a few lines of script which ultimately calls:

msra.exe /offerra

Not especially lovely because MRSA is clunky, but it was good enough for me. [Obviously also needs the right RA GPO settings applied to the workstations]
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 4th June 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    I don't think you overlooked anything.

I'd have said DhcpEnumSubnetClients() etc. from DHCPSAPI if you'd asked when I'd been paying attention. Was that what you you used? If so, using that from C# isn't something I'd label "trivial" - not surprised you feel a bit victorious.

I looked at doing that programmatically last year for an AD computer context menu extension and TBH it looked like a very serious pain. Luckily I only needed it to run from a 2008 DC so I did that extension with just a few lines of script which ultimately calls:

msra.exe /offerra

Not especially lovely because MRSA is clunky, but it was good enough for me. [Obviously also needs the right RA GPO settings applied to the workstations]
    Thanks for the feedback, yes I use DHCPSAPI for both DhcpEnumSubnets and DhcpEnumSubnetClients.

I have written the app so that I run almost anything from right clicking against the item in that I just have to associate the computer name and two arguments to start a process so in your example i would just need one argument msra.exe .offera to start the process off This works for explorer, event viewer etc etc.

I have been busy coding over weekend and expanding the SQLite/ADo.net integration. Currently only released binaries as an alpha here. Will be adding DHCP next. Will also get sourcecode uploaded to Sourceforge tonight with a bit of luck. Need to add documentation and comments to code, which is putting me off making it public, just yet!

PS found this for xp clients connecting MS Remote Assistance.

http://blog.netnerds.net/2006/12/ra-...te-assistance/
    Last edited by monkeyx; 8th June 2009 at 01:11 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread