+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, Custom IE Toolbar in Coding and Web Development; I'm looking to create a custom toolbar (for IE initially) that when clicked gets the address of the currently viewed ...

Thank Post

Custom IE Toolbar

I'm looking to create a custom toolbar (for IE initially) that when clicked gets the address of the currently viewed page and sends it to a PHP page.

Does anybody have any ideas how I might achieve this/links to tutorials that cover this.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    I don't think this is possible to do. Why would you want to do this?
    Sounds like proxy by passing to me. Firefox would be my best bet but as for IE... I doubt it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pashers View Post
    Why would you want to do this? Sounds like proxy by passing to me.
    Hmmm, I work in a school - why would I want to create some kind of proxy bypassing script when a major part of my job is stopping the kids from doing the very same?

It's actually for a whitelist filter I've been working on. It currently allows staff to open up websites so that students can use them - works pretty well too.

I'm just looking to move it up a level, so that when a teacher is browsing the net all they have to do is click a button when they see a site that students may need access to.

Thank Post
    Is it me or is edugeek being funny today? I've done a similar thing, I've made a program that runs in the background and monitors the site a pupil goes onto then blocks it on a set of white/black list and also in different catagories.

Web Monitor

Would this be of any use?

Currently testing it in a few rooms at this school. Few bugs to fix (nothing major). But working well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pashers View Post
    Is it me or is edugeek being funny today? I've done a similar thing, I've made a program that runs in the background and monitors the site a pupil goes onto then blocks it on a set of white/black list and also in different catagories.

Web Monitor

Would this be of any use?

Currently testing it in a few rooms at this school. Few bugs to fix (nothing major). But working well.
    By the sounds of things your app is completely different to what mine is. Mine runs a Squid server on a *nix box, and has a front end that allows easy editing of the whitelist by staff members.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This looks to be a free framework that allows you to throw together an IE toolbar:

CodeProject: Toolband (Toolbar for IE) sample using WTL. Free source code and programming help

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Hightower (3rd March 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Synack - will give that a good read through.

Thank Post
    Maybe an alternative would be to look at using bookmarklets or whatever they're called in IE? I use the toread.cc archive service to send myself interesting stuff to read at home when people link it here and they provide a bookmarklet to drag to any toolbar in IE/FF. Would have thought you could tweak the JS they use to submit to your server instead, or even just set up an email address at school for pages submitted via toread.cc to arrive with you for whitelisting.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    Maybe an alternative would be to look at using bookmarklets or whatever they're called in IE?
    That is a really good idea, I remember that evernote uses something simmilar. It is just a chunk of javascript in a bookmark that will looks like it works in lots of browsers including IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Here is the code which should be pretty easy to mod to point to your server. You could even deploy it via AD GPOs

Here is the evernote code:

Code:
    javascript:(function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try{var x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

Thank Post
    So I'm trying this bookmarklets and it seems to do what I want. This is my javascript:

Code:
    javascript:location.href='http://localhost/twf/index.php?re=1&ad=add&txtTitle='+document.title+'&txtAddress='+location.href
    As you can see it loads a page sending 4 variables - this works perfectly except for I need to force the new page in a new window.

I'm not very good with javascript so can somebody help me so it loads in a new window and still sends the 4 variables (two of which get info about the current page).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I'm not very good with javascript so can somebody help me so it loads in a new window and still sends the 4 variables (two of which get info about the current page).
    This seems to work:

Code:
    javascript:window.open('http://localhost/twf/index.php?re=1&ad=add&txtTitle='+document.title+'&txtAddress='+location.href,'Report Window',
    'left=20,top=20,width=500,height=500,toolbar=1,resizable=0');
    Heres the breakdown of the function fo if you want to tweak it:
    Code Beach - Opening a New Browser Window in JavaScript

Thank Post
    It works to a degree (it opens a new window and sends the info) but the old window reloads to something saying:

Code:
    [object Window]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seems to work in opera but you could try this which will refresh the current window and then open the new one, what browser are you using?

Code:
    javascript:location.href=location.href; window.open('http://localhost/twf/index.php?re=1&ad=add&txtTitle='+document.title+'&txtAddress='+location.href,'Report Window','left=20,top=20,width=500,height=500,toolbar=1,resizable=1');

15. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Hightower (6th March 2009)

Thank Post
    I don't "speak" javascript, but here's the one I have for toread -

Code:
    javascript:(function(){var%20s=document.createElement(%22scr%22+%22ipt%22);s.charset=%22UTF-8%22;s.language=%22javascr%22+%22ipt%22;s.type=%22text/javascr%22+%22ipt%22;var%20d=new%20Date;s.src=%22http://toread.cc/bjs.php?hl=en&s=b3d9aca02060&d=%22+d.getMilliseconds();document.body.appendChild(s)})();
    This submits it to toread whilst reloading the original page - not sure if this would be any help to avoid the [object Window] issue?

17. Thanks to OutToLunch from:

Hightower (6th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Seems to work in opera but you could try this which will refresh the current window and then open the new one, what browser are you using?

Code:
    javascript:location.href=location.href; window.open('http://localhost/twf/index.php?re=1&ad=add&txtTitle='+document.title+'&txtAddress='+location.href,'Report Window','left=20,top=20,width=500,height=500,toolbar=1,resizable=1');
    Thanks Synack,

That works a treat! Thanks Outtolunch too, just beaten to the buzzer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread