+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Coding Thread, Programming Advice in Coding and Web Development; Hello all, I have an idea (currently on paper) that I would like potentially to be developed. It could be ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts

Lightbulb Programming Advice

Hello all,

I have an idea (currently on paper) that I would like potentially to be developed. It could be used in the education, corporate and indeed home environments. I don't wish to discuss specifics, however I can reveal some information and would appreciate all the advice I cant get. I can do basic programming and I have knowledge of programming languages, but that's when it stops!

1. Primarily the application would be designed for Microsoft Windows 2000 or later and maybe Mac if the demand was there
    2. Wide Browser compatibility - IE6, IE7, FF2, FF3, Opera (maybe), Chrome (maybe), Safari (maybe). So we're looking at an ActiveX control.
    3. Search engine compatible - Google, Yahoo, Live!, Ask (any others?) and other website integration
    4. A database of information - now do I have a central database on a web facing server or each client has its own database and is updated via identity files? Similar to AV or Anti-Spyware software in that respect. If the idea works, thousands or possibly millions of users could use it longterm.
    5. The application would be free for the general public and funded through an advertising scheme. I wouldn't wish to piggy back on Google Ads for example, but have my own advertising tools.
    6. The home version would 'read' usernames setup on Windows XP (for example) and would allow a local administrator to set specific rules. The education/corporate edition would have Active Directory policies so rules would be set by GPO.

What programming language would you use and why? I am thinking maybe ASP.NET or Java, but I am open to suggestions.

The application would be in MSI format for ease of deployment for AD or other deployment tools. In home environments, a standard manual setup procedure would apply and this also could be done with an MSI.

Can anyone recommend (first hand experience) of a programmer (with references) who could work on such a project?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    You haven't really given any clues about what the application would do - bit hard to say without that what would be the 'ideal' language to program it in. It doesn't make it clear if it's a clientside app enforcing something or a serverside app doing something or pretty much anything else at all...

Based on the information provided, I will say COBOL is your best bet.

Thank Post
    I can't really say what it will do - but essentially a client installed on a computer which 'talks' to a database of information (either locally or remotely) and integrates with browser content.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts

Lightbulb

I agree with OutToLunch, you need to divulge a little in order to reap the benefits of our considered advice.

Have you thought of trying the EduGeek Projects Forum

New Project Ideas

plenty of talent there too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I can't really say what it will do - but essentially a client installed on a computer which 'talks' to a database of information (either locally or remotely) and integrates with browser content.
    LOL!

Isn't that a description of every MIS every invented?!

Thank Post
    Isn't that a description of every MIS every invented?!
    err nope, not really. It has nothing to do to with MIS whatsoever! I will have a look at New Project Ideas

Thank Post
    Then I would go with C# and .Net, but that's personal preference to a large extent.

8. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Michael (2nd February 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So...just about any web-integrated database application then?

Are we talking about a large database, small one? Simple database? Complex? Lots of clients all talking to servers scattered around, or all updates from one central server?

Thank Post
    On a slightly similar note, my car is in need of a new part. I can't tell you what car it is part from it has four wheels and a sunroof. It also has an indicator stick next to the steering wheel.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you which part it is I need - but would appreciate any help on the problem which I haven't told you about and don't plan to.

Please help!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    On a slightly similar note, my car is in need of a new part. I can't tell you what car it is part from it has four wheels and a sunroof. It also has an indicator stick next to the steering wheel.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you which part it is I need - but would appreciate any help on the problem which I haven't told you about and don't plan to.

Please help!
    You need a new fan belt.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    You need a new fan belt.
    Ah brilliant!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Ah brilliant!
    Trouble is, he's wrong - I reckon it's a sprocket that you need.

I can give you that advice for free, but if you want to know which sprocket then that will cost money (but I'm afraid I can't tell you how much here and, frankly, if you need to ask then you probably can't afford it :-))

Thank Post
    Are we talking about a large database, small one? Simple database? Complex? Lots of clients all talking to servers scattered around, or all updates from one central server?
    I'm still not sure whether to have a central database or operate the way a typical AV package does. I would of thought the overhead of a central server(s) with thousands of clients would be a lot to manage, whereas a locally installed database of information makes a lot more sense. The database could get very large and not so much complex.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    1. Primarily the application would be designed for Microsoft Windows 2000 or later and maybe Mac if the demand was there
    2. Wide Browser compatibility - IE6, IE7, FF2, FF3, Opera (maybe), Chrome (maybe), Safari (maybe). So we're looking at an ActiveX control.
    Well, if you want it to work on anything other than IE you really want to avoid ActiveX and if you want to support platforms other than Windows then you definitely don't want ActiveX.
    3. Search engine compatible - Google, Yahoo, Live!, Ask (any others?) and other website integration
    4. A database of information - now do I have a central database on a web facing server or each client has its own database and is updated via identity files? Similar to AV or Anti-Spyware software in that respect. If the idea works, thousands or possibly millions of users could use it longterm.
    5. The application would be free for the general public and funded through an advertising scheme. I wouldn't wish to piggy back on Google Ads for example, but have my own advertising tools.
    Not really sure about the first point - are you saying that you want search engines to be able to read something you present as a web site or that you want your app to be able to query search engines (some kind of meta-search engine?) If the former then it's just about getting good HTML with good content; the latter means you need to check on the APIs for reading the search engines

On the subject of advertising, I can understand that you don't necessarily want Google to take money from you but are you just re-inventing the wheel for the sake of it?

What programming language would you use and why? I am thinking maybe ASP.NET or Java, but I am open to suggestions.

The application would be in MSI format for ease of deployment for AD or other deployment tools. In home environments, a standard manual setup procedure would apply and this also could be done with an MSI.

Can anyone recommend (first hand experience) of a programmer (with references) who could work on such a project?
    I'd recommend BrightCode Although they mainly focus on programming for web sites they do have some very competent programmers. You'll see a range of testimonials on their web site and they can also put you in touch with clients if you want more detail.

16. Thanks to srochford from:

Michael (2nd February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well there is no easy way to say tbh. Depending on how often the db is updated,size and type of data it all makes a big difference to implementation. If you want wide browser support then activex is not the way forward as thats a IE only plugin. You would need to compile another addon for other browsers.
    In corp enviroments delivering ad's would probably be a no no and thats before you get to the fact ad's can be defeated easily.
    Java is evil so stay away. Most of the java apps I have used have been terrible so in that respect c# is much better.
    Browser toolbars are also very much a no no here too. Browser plugins can present lots of security holes (flash for example) so we as a rule never install them unless we trust the source.
    If you could find a way to describe the process rather then the contents of the app it may help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast