+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, Java in Coding and Web Development; I am wanting to learn how to program in java and i have no clue where to start. I know ...

Thank Post

Cool Java

I am wanting to learn how to program in java and i have no clue where to start. I know in C++ i had to use a complier but i have no clue what i need or need to do to even start programing with java.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,166 Posts

Lightbulb JDK / Hello World

I used to do a bit many moons ago, all from the command prompt though i'm sure there are fancy graphic version available now.

You need the java development kit and then just write code in a text editor, compile from command prompt with javac and run compiled program with java command.

i think that's it.

have a look at this site:

"Hello World!" for Microsoft Windows (The Java™ Tutorials > Getting Started > The "Hello World!" Application)

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

seth (26th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I used to do a bit many moons ago, all from the command prompt though i'm sure there are fancy graphic version available now.

You need the java development kit and then just write code in a text editor, compile from command prompt with javac and run compiled program with java command.

i think that's it.

have a look at this site:

"Hello World!" for Microsoft Windows (The Java™ Tutorials > Getting Started > The "Hello World!" Application)

is programing in java realy any good?

Thank Post
    i enjoyed it. it's quite similar to C++ and has a graphics engine too. i've got some manuals somewhere if you like.

a few years ago i spent some time converting my old C++ code from university (modelling particle physics) into java just to learn and see how it works.

you can use it to write applets for web pages and some standalone devices have java embedded to. so it's pretty powerful.

i'm no coder though, so let someone else comment.

i've started using vb.net at the moment, partly because it has the GUI and partly because it just makes some windows tasks easier. I still find it hard though.

i wrote a few things with vb.net for our MIS system that i could have done with java i guess but it was just a nicer interface with visual studio and i wanted to learn.

Thank Post
    Hi

Blue J is a nice IDE for Java, which shows the classes graphically, so emphasises the class relationships, and object orientated nature, well. You can also write a class, and test it's methods by right clicking on it, and creating a new instance, which you can then call methods, and inspect the results, without having to write a new test class.

Maria

Thank Post
    maria,
    groovy. do you use it for teaching or personal coding?
    i think i'd get annoyed with the dumbed down approach if i was going to use it for myself. looks great for demonstrating to students though.

Thank Post
    Vikpaw

I don't use it for any formal teaching, as I'm just a Tech, but I use it for demonstrating stuff to my daughter, and my little brother. It's a good starting point though. Greenfoot also looks good for teaching, especially younger students.

I don't do alot with Java nowadays, I left it behind after uni, and concentrated more on web apps.

Maria

Thank Post
    We must have been at uni' in different eras, as it was all C++ when i was there!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seth View Post
    I am wanting to learn how to program in java and i have no clue where to start.
    Try Stack Overflow, which is more programming-orientated than here. Also, figure out a program you actually need to make and aim towards getting that program finished, learning by just writing make-work programs is always tedious, especially if you already know how to program.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Hm... Java not programmed in that for a while, for a program to code with i did like and still do like Eclipse.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    We must have been at uni' in different eras, as it was all C++ when i was there!!
    Must have. The work experience lad at my school is doing .Net, even though he's at the same uni, with the same lecturers, just 3 years later.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 819 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use Eclipse to manage our custom build of openfire for the edugeek chat server.
    Its free and one of the biggest java ide's but tbh Java as a language I dont like that much. Give me php/c# .net anyday.

Thank Post
    I did Java back in uni. I enjoyed it, and it was my first experience of object oriented programming.

I vaguely remember using Kawa in the first year or so, then moved on to using Welcome to NetBeans. It was pretty reasonable back then and I believe it has improved greatly over time. Also has the advantage of being free :-).

As for Java as a language, I liked it and would like to do some more dev in it some day. It's strict with the object oriented-ness, and tends to result in some fairly long lines (compare "System.out.println("Hello World!");" for Java to "echo 'hello world';" for php) . It's strongly typed so you have to plan ahead and be mindful of what you're returning from your functions, but that's a good thing some times. I occasionally find the loose typing of php makes things feel a bit floppy and non-rigorous (though that could just be my laziness coming through).
    It's interpreted (well, JIT-compiled) by the Java Virtual Machine, so will always suffer a performance penalty compared to a compiled language like C(#|++), but the ability to run the same code on any machine with a JVM on it is a wonderful thing if writing browser applets or code that you expect to run on a wide variety of (hard|soft)ware that you don't want to compile for all of.

That's my 3pence of opinion. Hope it helps.

Hello
    :-Dave

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lightinthedark View Post
    It's strict with the object oriented-ness...... I occasionally find the loose typing of php makes things feel a bit floppy and non-rigorous
    I like the strictness.
    I'm having to deal with the airy fairyness of PHP on a legacy intranet i inherited; nightmare! Too many ways to beat around the bush.

I learn through copying and examples so strict makes for better rules. Plus as you say portability is handy.

who'd have tht you could give away your age by your choice of language!

which reminds me i've got a programming language joke to post in the jokes forum so look out for it....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread