+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Coding Thread, Papercut Print Logger Free edition - Log Distiller ASP page in Coding and Web Development; I have updated the guide with instructions on enabling ASP on the server and will attach to this post as ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Install Guide updated

I have updated the guide with instructions on enabling ASP on the server and will attach to this post as I can't edit my last one. Have deleted the old file from the other post also.

2. Thanks to SYNACK from:

papercut (3rd February 2009)

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Hi Synack,

That's good work. I'm the developer at PaperCut that looks after print logger. It was my idea to "convince" the rest of the team that we should release a free logger based off the analysis code we have in PaperCut NG. Really to create a small little tool for administrators that does one thing and does it well. It also helps us out. Of course there is some indirect promotion of PaperCut NG, our print quota application, however the main benefit is that we have thousands of new people downloading it every week and as a result we find the bugs a little quicker :-)

I like the work you've done. I noticed that there is a bit of code that simply creates a concatenated log. Would it be of use if PaperCut Print Logger was to create a global "all_printing" log as standard? This would be an easy change. The only reason I didn't do it in the first place was that certain version of MS Excel tend to freak out with large CSV files. Splitting the logs into months eliminates this issue.

Also on the topic of Print Logger, I receive emails all the times with some cool tips and tricks. Here are a few of my favorite:

* Take a few minutes to learn about the pivot table and pivot chart feature in Excel. You can get some really interesting stats quickly with these features. e.g. point the finger at the teacher that's wasting the most paper :-)

* It's very easy to make the logs available over your intranet. Simply set up IIS and add an IIS Virtual Directory pointing to C:/Program Files/PaperCut Print Logger/logs/html/ . One admin emailed me to say that he did this and emailed the link to everyone in the company! All of a sudden printing dropped by 20%. Seems like people are reluctant to print "My European Vacation Photos.jpg" when they know it's being audited :-)

* Use Excel to calculate your organization's environmental impact. This can be done copying these formulas into any free field in the Excel sheet:

Formula for trees consumed:
    Code:
    =IF(SUM(C:C)/80500 < 1, ROUND(SUM(C:C)/80500 * 100, 2) & "% of a tree", ROUND(SUM(C:C)/80500,2) & " trees")
    Formula for CO2:
    Code:
    =ROUND(SUM(C:C) * 8.6 / 1000, 2) & " kg of CO2"
    Formula for energy equivalent:
    Code:
    ="Equivalent to running a 60W light glob for " & ROUND(SUM(C:C)* 17 / 60, 2) & " hours"

For reference, the coefficients are explained here:

Also, seeing I work for PaperCut, I better put in a plug :-) Most of this can be done in PaperCut NG as well as print quotas, department level accounting for staff via a popup and automatic emailing of reports. We also have just released a version for Novell so now we have implementations for major platforms - Windows, Mac, Linux and Novell. Tens-of-thousands of schools run PaperCut so make sure you check it out. Also if you're from a government school in a developing country, make sure you contact us as we can arrange a free license.

Cheers,

Chris

PS~ Notice you're from NZ. Maybe we should start a new thread about Cricket ... not :-(
    Last edited by papercut; 3rd February 2009 at 06:57 AM.

4. 4 Thanks to papercut:

ChrisP (3rd February 2009), OutToLunch (3rd February 2009), SYNACK (5th February 2009), zag (5th November 2009)

Thank Post
    * Take a few minutes to learn about the pivot table and pivot chart feature in Excel. You can get some really interesting stats quickly with these features. e.g. point the finger at the teacher that's wasting the most paper :-)
    Has anyone got a sheet already set up to create tables like this or is it easy to do?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by papercut View Post
    Hi Synack,

That's good work. I'm the developer at PaperCut that looks after print logger. It was my idea to "convince" the rest of the team that we should release a free logger based off the analysis code we have in PaperCut NG.
    Thanks, I'm glad that you guys are ok with me making it also thankyou for convincing the company to make it avalible free, it is a really usefull tool especially in a school environment.

The all_printing log could be helpful at speeding it up a bit and would make multiple data sources easier to handle. A really helpful feature would be the ability to set the logger to save the logs to a different server as then grabbing the output from multiple servers would be easier.

I would also like to ask you about some of my future plans with this to check that you are ok with me extending it further. Not actual managment just more fine grained reporting ablilties through the web interface, I just want to make sure that I am not tredding on anyones toes

Thank Post
    Can't sleep? ^^

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzel View Post
    Can't sleep? ^^
    Not easily , its 5:44pm here just got back from configuring a SAN. Your up and on the forum eairly (6:45am ?)

Thank Post
    Hi SYNACK,

The all_printing log could be helpful at speeding it up a bit and would make multiple data sources easier to handle. A really helpful feature would be the ability to set the logger to save the logs to a different server as then grabbing the output from multiple servers would be easier.
    Done! A global log is an easy change so I'll get that one in. The ability to write the log onto a different server is technically possible but poses a number of issues. By default our service runs under the semi-restricted SYSTEM account and this account does not have access to remote network shares (for security reasons). We'd need to elevate the service's rights to write to a network resource. In the *nix world, this is a bit of a no-no as you should always aim to run with as lowest privileges as possible. It's a bit more acceptable in the Windows world, but even this is now changing.

There are a few options:

1) You could use a separate script (e.g. a simple batch file using say robocopy) that runs as a scheduled task to copy the files across periodically.

2) I could allow the path of the all_printing log to be changed. This could be for example set to a share like \\server\share, however you'd need to manually change the rights allocated to the service. e.g. change the account on the server's "Log On" tab from SYSTEM to a domain account that has write access to the share.

Either way, I think option 2 would be useful so I'll look at supporting this.

PaperCut Print Logger is a spare time Friday Project. I should get some time in the next few weeks and will let you know when this is done.

I would also like to ask you about some of my future plans with this to check that you are ok with me extending it further. Not actual managment just more fine grained reporting ablilties through the web interface, I just want to make sure that I am not tredding on anyones toes

No. Not at all! Please go ahead. More than happy for you to polish up the number crunching as long as you keep sharing the code with all the rest of the EduGeeks :-)

We're very supportive of people extending and building on our software. In fact we got to great lengths to support this in PaperCut NG such as providing an open Web Services APIs with dozens of functions and examples in many programing languages, a scripting interface, the ability to style our web interface via CSS/HTML, and a published database schema. We even provide our customers with source code access to assist them with their integration (oh... and to help us find bugs :-)!

Some of the projects school admins have done with our API are amazing. My favorite was the school tech that had way too much time on his hands one summer break. He wired up PaperCut to the library management system so when students don't bring their books back on time, his system would automatically "fine" the student by taking money out of their print and internet quota. He said nothing made the students bring their books back quicker than seeing their balance dwindle down each day :-)
    Last edited by papercut; 6th February 2009 at 11:35 PM.

Thank Post
    This software is brilliant.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Refreshing to see there are still some open minded software developers out there!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksawbob View Post
    Refreshing to see there are still some open minded software developers out there!
    Even more scary to think there are so many stuck-in-the-mud developers still around in today's "more open" world

SYNACK,

I've booked out some time this Friday to make the changes. I'll let you know when they're done.

Cheers,

Chris

13. Thanks to papercut from:

SYNACK (18th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papercut View Post
    Even more scary to think there are so many stuck-in-the-mud developers still around in today's "more open" world

SYNACK,

I've booked out some time this Friday to make the changes. I'll let you know when they're done.
    Thanks, I'll look to integrate the changes as soon as I can. I have one school about to be inspected by ERO (Education Review Office - OSFED counterpart) so it may be a little while before i can get it all up and running with the new version.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Still a bit numb, it well, just works! I have been waiting for something like this to come along for years. Works great just dont install IIS on a server that is running the edexel onscreen testing as IIS install will break it. School of hard knocks....
    Last edited by Hacksawbob; 20th February 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi SYNACK,

Finally found the hour today to finish of the changes you requested.

I've uploaded a new version of PaperCut Print Logger. You can download this from the usual location here.

I've put in both changes:

• There is a global CSV log called papercut-print-log-all-time.csv that contains all printing. This will allow you to remove the concatenation portion of your code and speed up the page rendering.
    • It is now possible to set the CSV log file target directory via the papercut-print-logger.conf file. It is also possible to set this to a UNC path, however in this case you'll need to elevate the "Log On" rights on the "PaperCut Print Logger Service" to a user account that access to write to the UNC share.

Hope this helps, and keep up the good work! .... now I'm back to trying to get PaperCut working on 64-bit Novell cluster server :-(

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by papercut; 24th February 2009 at 10:09 AM.

17. 2 Thanks to papercut:

SYNACK (25th February 2009), TheWhiteWiltord (27th March 2009)

Thank Post
    hi i am getting the error:
    Code:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046' 

Permission denied 

/PrintUsage/PrintUsage.asp, line 34
    which is the line

Code:
    	Set wrobjFile = wrobjFSO.OpenTextFile( SiteFolder & "\" & SummaryCSVName , ForWriting, 8)
    any one any ideas???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Check your permissions. It sounds like the script doesn't have write access to the folder.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast