+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Coding Thread, PS - Remove-Item Exclude switch help in Coding and Web Development; Hi, I have a PS script I'm working on and need a little advice on excluding some folders. I have ...
    Thank Post

PS - Remove-Item Exclude switch help

Hi,

I have a PS script I'm working on and need a little advice on excluding some folders.

I have the following code:
    Code:
    Remove-Item -recurse -path "$studentPath\My Settings\Application Data\*" -Exclude RM,Macromedia,Sun,"Internet*" -force
    The "Internet*" exclusion is to actually exclude the folder "Internet Explorer" inside the Microsoft folder however, this folder is retained but the content is still deleted. I was under the impression that this would exclude the folder and contents but obviously isn't the case.

Any advice?
    Last edited by randle; 11th June 2014 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    The recurse parameter appears to delete all content regardless of excluding the folders. Only the folders remain.

Taking out the -recurse parameter does keep the contents of the first three folders but not the contents of the child folder "Internet Explorer" for some reason. The problem is that without this parameter it prompts for deletion...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Try this...

Code:
    $Exclusions = "RM","Macromedia","Sun","Internet*"

Get-ChildItem -Path "$studentPath\My Settings\Application Data\" -Recurse -Exclude $Exclusions | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Sort Length -Descending | Remove-Item -Recurse -Force -WhatIf
    Notes. Do not put an asterisk at the end of the path. Remove the '-WhatIf' parameter at the end to actually delete files and folders.

Thank Post
    Assuming you have PowerShell 3.0 (or greater) installed, you can also make the script run faster by adding the 'Directory' parameter to Get-ChildItem.

Code:

Get-ChildItem -Path "$studentPath\My Settings\Application Data\" -Directory -Recurse -Exclude $Exclusions | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Sort Length -Descending | Remove-Item -Recurse -Force -WhatIf

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

randle (12th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the help however, have the following outcome on a test area

- The Macromedia and Sun folders are now empty. These had folders below them prior to running the script. I can't see why these are touched when the parent folders are set to be excluded!!?
    - The RM folder has retained a single file that existed so looks like files are now no longer being removed
    - The Microsoft folder which contained the Internet Explorer folder has been removed so the "Internet*" exclusion has been ignored by the looks of it.

Thank Post
    What happens if you remove the Recurse parameter from Remove-Item?

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

randle (12th June 2014)

Thank Post
    If you remove the recurse on the GCI part of the code it will only retrieve the top level folders excluding the items in exclusion list, then use recurse on the remove-item to delete the top level folders and their contents

Code:

Get-ChildItem -Path "$studentPath\My Settings\Application Data\" -Directory -Exclude $Exclusions | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Sort Length -Descending | Remove-Item -Recurse -Force
    HTH

Neil

Thank Post
    Now we're cooking. I've removed the recurse parameter from the gci section and now leaves the content and files o the excluded folders behind however, still isn't retaining the Internet Explorer folder below the Microsoft folder!

Just seen your update Neil and confirms the above. Without the recurse parameter the IE folder is not kept. Is there any way around this?
    Last edited by randle; 12th June 2014 at 01:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Not sure on how to do it easily in one line but this will do it in two

Code:
    $Exclusions = "RM","Macromedia","Sun","Microsoft"

Get-ChildItem -Path "$studentPath\My Settings\Application Data\" -Directory -Exclude $Exclusions | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Sort Length -Descending | Remove-Item -Recurse -Force
    Get-ChildItem -Path "$studentPath\My Settings\Application Data\Microsoft" -Directory -Exclude "Internet*" | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Sort Length -Descending | Remove-Item -Recurse -Force
    Exclude the Microsoft directory as a whole from the first delete then perform the same function just on the MS folder excluding IE

Neil

12. Thanks to old_n07 from:

randle (12th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Ah yes of course. I think that'll work fine for what I want. Thanks for that.

Just out of interest, why does the gci command need to be piped through to "Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Sort Length -Descending". I can't see what this adds to help the process!?

Thank Post
    The "Select -ExpandProperty FullName " returns the full path and name of the folder and the sort just orders the output, but thy can both be omitted from the code and it still works.

15. Thanks to old_n07 from:

randle (12th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    Just out of interest, why does the gci command need to be piped through to "Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Sort Length -Descending". I can't see what this adds to help the process!?
    Because this...

The -recurse switch does not work properly on Remove-Item (it will try to delete folders before all the child items in the folder have been deleted). Sorting the fullnames in descending order by length ensures that no folder is deleted before all the child items in the folder have been deleted. (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 12th June 2014 at 02:35 PM.

17. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

old_n07 (12th June 2014), randle (12th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Ah yes I remember seeing that now but was before using the gci Cmdlet so didn't pay too much attention to it. Thanks again guys

Thank Post
    Just one other question while I'm here if you wouldn't mind. I would think this an easy addition but am struggling to see how I can output all actions of the script to a file. I'm searching for a solution at the moment but from what I can see doesn't look to be as straight forward as I was hoping.....

Thank Post
    I've managed to have a bit of luck using the tee Cmdlet and all is now outputting to a file except one command. It's probably easier to post the script
    Code:
    # Server to run command on
    $serverName = Read-Host "Server Name" | tee "\\svroffice01\d$\Temp\Test\test.txt" -Append

# Display directory size
    #Get-Size "\\$serverName\d$\Temp\Test\RMStudentWork"
    "Directory size pre cleanup: {0:N2}" -f ((Get-ChildItem -path "\\$serverName\d$\Temp\Test\RMStudentWork" -recurse | Measure-Object -property length -sum ).sum /1MB) + " MB" | tee "\\svroffice01\d$\Temp\Test\test.txt" -Append

# Get a list of Intake years
    $intakeFolderPaths = gci "\\$serverName\d$\Temp\Test\RMStudentWork" -exclude *.ini

# Cyle through users in each Intake year
    Foreach ($intakeYear in $IntakeFolderPaths) 
    {

# Get a list of user names
    $studentFolderPath = gci $intakeYear -exclude *.ini

# Assign path variable to each student in $studentFolderPath 
    foreach ($studentPath in $studentFolderPath)

{
    # Remove all folders and files except exclusions within the My Settings folder
    $Exclusions = "RM","Macromedia","Sun","Microsoft","Adobe"

Get-ChildItem -Path "$studentPath\My Settings\Application Data\Adobe" -Directory -Exclude "Flash*" | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Sort Length -Descending | Remove-Item -Recurse -Force
    Get-ChildItem -Path "$studentPath\My Settings\Application Data\Microsoft" -Directory -Exclude "Internet*" | Select -ExpandProperty FullName | Sort Length -Descending | Remove-Item -Recurse -Force

# Confirm deletion to console, can be removed
    Write-Host "$studentPath My Settings cleaned up" | tee "\\svroffice01\d$\Temp\Test\test.txt" -Append
    }
    }

# Display directory size
    #Get-Size "\\$serverName\d$\Temp\Test\RMStudentWork"
    "Directory size post cleanup: {0:N2}" -f ((Get-ChildItem -path "\\$serverName\d$\Temp\Test\RMStudentWork" -recurse | Measure-Object -property length -sum ).sum /1MB) + " MB" | tee "\\svroffice01\d$\Temp\Test\test.txt" -Append

Pause
    The part that isn't outputting is the "Confirm deletion to console...." section. Am I adding this Cmdlet in the wrong place maybe?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast