+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, Raspberry Pi Club for schools in Coding and Web Development; Hi Has anyone had experience with the Raspberry Pi with Junior school students? I have had interest from a few ...

Thank Post

Smile Raspberry Pi Club for schools

Hi
    Has anyone had experience with the Raspberry Pi with Junior school students? I have had interest from a few children and want to start a club.
    What would be the best kit to get to cope with around 10 children?
    I have never had a go with one yet.

Any help appreciated.

Thank Post
    Wow - nobody been using Raspberry Pi? I thought there would have been loads of you!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would say the B board is the best one to go for, and get some cases. You can buy complete sets for like £50-£100 per one. So may be worth looking into.

Thank Post
    ICT department doesn't want to pay for the amount they'd need Even one per 2 students, is 15 pi, converters, monitors....... blahblah

A lot of it depends what you want to do, if it's just the basics you don't really need any additional kits, but if you want it to control things there's kits for lights/robots etc, a lot at BETT, I'll see if I can find the leaflets I had.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @SimpleSi is an expert, I am sure he will advise

Thank Post
    I had almost this exact same problem!

One of the teachers enthused about them being a great cheap IT learning tool... Got the business mananger in on it, next thing I know 4 appeared on my desk. No consultation with me... Nothing!

Then I was summoned by the ICT co-ordinator who advised me I would be running an IT club with them! I was shoved off to a half-day council IT run session on Pi's and came away with knowing little more than I already did (and that's minimal).

Apart from the fact that now I needed to tell the business manager he had in fact only ordered the boards (and cases) and now we needed SD cards that I have to get an OS on, power supplies for each of them, vga converters/monitors, mouse and keyboards lol. Not such a cheap IT learning tool now then!

Needless to say they are still sitting in my cupboard! As I am the only tech here, I can't give it the time I would like to give them anymore than running SCRATCH on them anyway (which was what we spent most of our time doing in the training session).

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 3rd February 2014 at 10:34 AM.

Thank Post
    I know this isn't your point, but do be aware that 8GB cards with OS on them can be bought from the Pi Foundation's website for only a fiver!

NOOBS SD cards back in the Swag Store! | Raspberry Pi

Thank Post
    I'm a techie, not a teacher, and I run a Pi club in our secondary school one lunchtime each week. I really don't have the time or the experience but the students that attend are so enthusiastic I cannot refuse to take them. So, if nothing else, Pi's a really good way to get students interested in proper computing rather than just learning to use applications.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theo_logical View Post
    I'm a techie, not a teacher, and I run a Pi club in our secondary school one lunchtime each week. I really don't have the time or the experience but the students that attend are so enthusiastic I cannot refuse to take them. So, if nothing else, Pi's a really good way to get students interested in proper computing rather than just learning to use applications.
    So, do you have any advice for the OP? What kit did you need? What 'proper computing' do you do?

Kol.

Thank Post
    Hi folks.
    Thanks for your input. I'm only likely to need around half a dozen as these are Y6 students and its a bit of a niche area.
    I will be wary of the council run Pi training courses then, I don't want to learn Scratch as we have been teaching that to Y4s for years.

Thank Post
    Haha, let me know how you get on, this is looming large for me and I'm stuck for ideas.

To be fair the guy training us did show us a remote control toy car that could be manouvered (badly) with extra software (part of SCRATCH lol) and some very basic music software (although my Commadore 64 sounded better).

Kol.

Thank Post
    You can get minecraft for the Pi. It's free and there's tutorials out there on how to right simple programs to mod it.

Thank Post
    We've looked at these for some of the primary schools we support. Whilst they are quite neat, I think they are overly complex and involved for that age group. You can do the coding stuff on a PC, and if you want to do a bit more and get into the controlling of lights / motors /etc you are probably better looking at something like the Arduino

14. Thanks to BITS_BryanS from:

RTi (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    @Jokerman64
    Just seen this thread.
    Robots are good fun to play with - get teams to compete against each other

Robotics

You can program them in Python but if they know Scratch then they can use it to control stuff using my software
    ScratchGPIO – Introduction for Beginners | cymplecy (simplesi)

My blogs from last year might provide a bit of insight into pitfalls to avoid

After-School ScratchPiBot Club | cymplecy (simplesi)

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread