+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Coding Thread, MIT App Inventor 2 emulator in Coding and Web Development; As app inventor is all web based I thought it would be great then I got reading about the phone ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

MIT App Inventor 2 emulator

As app inventor is all web based I thought it would be great then I got reading about the phone emulator:

Installing and Running the Emulator in AI2 | Explore MIT App Inventor

Step 2: Turn off your firewall (don't worry, it's easy to do!)

Nearly choked.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    You would have thought with all of the clever people at MIT, they would be able to create a program that isn't a piece of crud.

Also, why does the emulator still use Android 2.3? No one should be designing apps for this ancient OS (especially not school kids)!

Thank Post
    It's doing my head in as they are saying they want it all installed but we use O365 and therefore to use it the students would have to create their own google accounts which worries me a bit.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    What about GenyMotion (the free version) + Android Studio?

Thank Post
    No idea why App Inventor is so arse about face, its causing me no end of problems.

I was hoping the release of App Inventor 2 might make it a little more straight forward, turns out I couldn't have been more wrong, more ill explained CMD windows popping up all over the place.

Thank Post
    After 12 hours of head scratching, gpo destroying, cursing and chocolate digestives I found out that with everything fully secured App Inventor 2 works, however you need to set the Chrome gpo to bypass <local> in order for it to connect

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olliesaurus View Post
    After 12 hours of head scratching, gpo destroying, cursing and chocolate digestives I found out that with everything fully secured App Inventor 2 works, however you need to set the Chrome gpo to bypass <local> in order for it to connect
    I have also been having problems getting app inventor to work. As we use a Proxy.pac file i am unable to tell it to bypass our firewall (smoothwall) for local addresses, so instead i told it to bypass for IP 127.0.0.1 because from the CMD prompt that appears to be the port it uses. However while the emulator opens it doesn't receive the blocks data from the online app and doesn't have the AI Companion App. Do they need some special privileges on the local machine other than CMD prompt access? It runs fine on admin account.

Any help would be much appreciated, this thing is driving me insane.

-Matt

EDIT: Here is a screenshot to help describe the issue, the countdown just loops indefinitely. I think i may have dragged the maps/phone icon onto the homepage in a fit of desperation ^^

SS.PNG

EDIT 2: After performing the change to proxy.pac it runs on the base level local user account, which suggests a GPO is stopping it running properly. Any Suggestions would be great

EDIT 3: Problem solved, needed to delete the data it had copied to the accounts profile. Working now.
    Last edited by Mattyhew; 9th January 2014 at 12:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Can I ask how you guys have distributed the new App Inventor 2 over the network? I need to do it in a CC4 environment.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mansin View Post
    Hi All,

Can I ask how you guys have distributed the new App Inventor 2 over the network? I need to do it in a CC4 environment.

Thanks
    We're in the same boat, haven't found a way to get it working on CC4 without enabling the CMD prompt :/

Thank Post
    @mansin &@ Lee91...I've been following the RM communities posts for setting this up. Have now come to Edugeek because of the emulator not connecting and will be trying the above to open it up for students. Instructions got me up and running with the packaging of both Chrome and app inventor. Not had to enable the CMD prompt (it runs as above screenshot, but I don't get the countdown, so working on unblocking the local host through the Chrome permissions.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiffy101 View Post
    @mansin &@ Lee91...I've been following the RM communities posts for setting this up. Have now come to Edugeek because of the emulator not connecting and will be trying the above to open it up for students. Instructions got me up and running with the packaging of both Chrome and app inventor. Not had to enable the CMD prompt (it runs as above screenshot, but I don't get the countdown, so working on unblocking the local host through the Chrome permissions.)
    Hi,

I've tried eveything mentioned in the RM Communities as well. The Emulator won't run, keeps coming up with "Launch the aiStarter on your computer and then try again" , even though the aiStarter is running. I've checked the proxy bypass for *.local and 127.0.0.1 under the GPO for chrome but still nothing. It works fine for admin.

If I look at the developer tools for Chrome it reports:

"XMLHttpRequest cannot load EduGeek.net - Sorry page not found. No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu' is therefore not allowed access.

So something is blocking the access, just can't figure out what

Thank Post
    Right then, its all sorted now. First of all, I've imported the Chrome.adm template into RMMC to make things a little easier.

Then simply adding the word "localhost" into the proxy bypass has solved it.

Thank Post
    Its a terrible piece of software really, surely there must be an easier way to get Android programming going other than App Inventor..
    Glad you all got it working though!

Thank Post
    I'm hoping to get them to use appshed.com

Ben

jaf

Thank Post
    Hi all, sorry to keep this thread going! Appinventor has been working for me on RM CC4 for the past few weeks, but it seems they have decided to update the software (yesterday) and it won't work unless you update it! There is a link here for more info Time to Update the Companion | Explore MIT App Inventor
    So basically I have re-ran the newest version of the setup, tried running the emulator as normal and then connecting to it, however it just says "now the companion will be updated, click OK to update" and nothing happens after that! I am stuck in an endless loop where this will not update. I have tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling and am running it from my admin account. Has anyone else experienced this and has any ideas for me? Thanks very much for your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast