+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Coding Thread, MIT App Inventor 2 emulator in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by jaf Hi all, sorry to keep this thread going! Appinventor has been working for me on RM ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Hi all, sorry to keep this thread going! Appinventor has been working for me on RM CC4 for the past few weeks, but it seems they have decided to update the software (yesterday) and it won't work unless you update it! There is a link here for more info Time to Update the Companion | Explore MIT App Inventor
    So basically I have re-ran the newest version of the setup, tried running the emulator as normal and then connecting to it, however it just says "now the companion will be updated, click OK to update" and nothing happens after that! I am stuck in an endless loop where this will not update. I have tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling and am running it from my admin account. Has anyone else experienced this and has any ideas for me? Thanks very much for your help.
    I also ran into the same problem today. Tried all the above on top of which I uninstalled the app from the emulator but that just caused it to loop waiting for the companion app to start rather than installing the newer version. Far as i can tell they just didn't bother to test whether it actually worked on the emulator.

Mandatory updates on a application with little to no support and buggy releases. Joy oh Joy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Hi all, sorry to keep this thread going! Appinventor has been working for me on RM CC4 for the past few weeks, but it seems they have decided to update the software (yesterday) and it won't work unless you update it! There is a link here for more info Time to Update the Companion | Explore MIT App Inventor
    So basically I have re-ran the newest version of the setup, tried running the emulator as normal and then connecting to it, however it just says "now the companion will be updated, click OK to update" and nothing happens after that! I am stuck in an endless loop where this will not update. I have tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling and am running it from my admin account. Has anyone else experienced this and has any ideas for me? Thanks very much for your help.
    Do you use a proxy server? I find sometimes I have to bypass the proxy when updating software from the internet, for example the google chrome installer won't connect to the internet to download it until I bypass the proxy, which is why now I download the MSI file separate.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    Do you use a proxy server? I find sometimes I have to bypass the proxy when updating software from the internet, for example the google chrome installer won't connect to the internet to download it until I bypass the proxy, which is why now I download the MSI file separate.
    Do i take it that the companion app on your emulator updated fine when not behind a proxy?

Thank Post
    I can confirm that even by bypassing the proxy it has made no difference, it just stays stuck on waiting for update. Even downloading the latest version (which I can only assume is the latest version) It didn't make any difference. The olnly thing left to try is to tyr it at home tonight to see if its a connection issue. I hate this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mansin View Post
    I can confirm that even by bypassing the proxy it has made no difference, it just stays stuck on waiting for update. Even downloading the latest version (which I can only assume is the latest version) It didn't make any difference. The olnly thing left to try is to tyr it at home tonight to see if its a connection issue. I hate this.
    I also tried downloading the latest version of the emulator it still comes packaged with the older version of the companion app.

Even if i can get it at home, that means every update id have to re-install the emulator to each and every PC. Sigh...

Also does anyone else find it somewhat obnoxious that it places itself in the startup folder without giving you the option? (unless I've missed it somehow)
    Last edited by Mattyhew; 13th February 2014 at 09:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhew View Post
    I also tried downloading the latest version of the emulator it still comes packaged with the older version of the companion app.

Even if i can get it at home, that means every update id have to re-install the emulator to each and every PC. Sigh...

Also does anyone else find it somewhat obnoxious that it places itself in the startup folder without giving you the option? (unless I've missed it somehow)
    You're right it does place it in the startup folder and I've not seen an option to opt out. I don't why they haven't included the latest version of the companion in the package, when they are clearly saying "its time to upgrade"

Thank Post
    Crappy software, no idea how it made it into the curriculum.

Has anyone found a way of getting it working at all?

I did some fiddling, I think the ".appinventor" folder in the root of system drive has something to do with it, I removed it to see if it would redownload the files but it appears to have just redownload the old companion files...

Hoping it is just at the MIT end as opposed to something internal, really dont want to faff around with this ball ache of a software package.

jaf

Thank Post
    Hi, think I have this working now! Thanks for mentioning the proxy server - this is what was causing my issues. As far as I can tell it downloads a new android package (.apk) within the emulator and this isn't part of the installation files in the normal windows setup package. If it cannot connect to this, it will just sit there doing nothing as it won't work unless it's been updated. I tried telling my proxy server to allow this unauthenticated but it wasn't having any of it. What I had to do was run the emulator on a PC that bypasses our proxy server and then copy the .appinventor folder (which is normally situated in the C: drive, but I have edited the run-emulator.bat file so it gets copied to the user's home N: drive on CC4) from my test machine across to the user's profile, overwriting the old .appinventor folder. This contains an updated image of the android OS with the android package in which allows appinventor to run without asking to be updated. Not an ideal solution, but it is (mostly!) working on our PCs, luckily I only have 20 PCs and students which need it at the moment...

Thank Post
    Not wanting to be to cheeky...

but..

Any chance you could upload your .appinventor folder somewhere?

Not to worry if you would rather not!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olliesaurus View Post
    Not wanting to be to cheeky...

but..

Any chance you could upload your .appinventor folder somewhere?

Not to worry if you would rather not!
    Would help me out as well, knowing its a working version.

Don't worry if not, at least i know i can do it myself now.

Thank Post
    Does anyone still want the updated version of the .appinventor folder?

I just used my phone tethered connection to the computer, to bypass the whole proxy malarkey and do the update.

Thank Post
    If possible, would be a great help.

I tried doing it at home but it still wouldn't work for some reason.

Thank Post
    If possible, would be a great help.

I tried doing it at home but it still wouldn't work for some reason.
    Here you go Ollie:

http://1drv.ms/1cKP0Oq

14. Thanks to mansin from:

Olliesaurus (25th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Life saver, thanks so much!

Thank Post
    Life saver, thanks so much!
    You're most welcome

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread