Basic HTML Coding

+ Post New Thread
    Coding Thread, Basic HTML Coding in Coding and Web Development; Just been playing with adding HTML signatures to the bottom of our E-mails (becuase having it the same size as ...

Thank Post

Basic HTML Coding

Just been playing with adding HTML signatures to the bottom of our E-mails (becuase having it the same size as the rest of the text seems to be offensive to our SMT for some reason even though it only appears on mail sent externally)

Given that my HTML-fu is weak I've been using a lot of WYSIWIG editors and playing.

Now this is the code I've got,
      Code:

********************College_Disclaimer********************
      This communication contains information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s).
      If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please notify us by e-mail or by telephone (XXX XXXX) and then delete this e-mail and any copies of it. Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender, except where those specifically stated to be those of College. Despite operating a virus checker, we cannot guarantee that attachments are virus-free or compatible with your system and cannot accept any liability in respect to virus or computer problems experienced.

(Yes it's basics as I said, weak skills)
      No it's fine in an editor, all nicely blocked up so it's not taking up too much space. It's fine when I went on W3School's online HTML tester thing to see what your HTML actually looks like. However when I view the message in web based E-mail such as hotmail instead of looking like this

Code:
      Paragraph1
      Paragraph2
      Paragraph3
      It looks more like this
      Code:
      Paragrapgh1

Paragraph2

Paragraph3
      It's like the
      tag is adding an extra line in like a new paragraph and I don't understand why...

Thank Post
      Any reason you're not just using
      ? Not all clients seem to like

Steve

Thank Post
      Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
      Blog Entries
      For one, you can combine those span tags so all the style information is in a single span, e.g.
      Code:
      Just separate your style attributes with the semi-colon and you can just keep piling them in. Even better, apply the common attribute (font-size) in another tag containing all the spans e.g. a paragraph tag (as shown in my final code in this post).

For two, you shouldn't need the body & html tags just for this chunk, because the Hotmail webpage would have those tags already. That may cause issues in some browsers (it might force them into Quirks mode as the webpage as a whole would no longer be valid, even though taken alone that chunk of code is valid). The W3C Validator assumes you're coding a whole web page, not just a chunk, so it'll tell you to include them when you don't need them here.

For three, perhaps you can work around Hotmail's rendering by forcing line-height, so your code would look like:
      Code:

********************College_Disclaimer******************** This communication contains information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please notify us by e-mail or by telephone (XXX XXXX) and then delete this e-mail and any copies of it. Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender, except where those specifically stated to be those of College. Despite operating a virus checker, we cannot guarantee that attachments are virus-free or compatible with your system and cannot accept any liability in respect to virus or computer problems experienced. ********************College_Disclaimer********************

Give that a go.

4. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Stuart_C (27th November 2013)

Thank Post
      My guess is it could be some css in the webmail that is setting the line-height property. Try setting this explicitly in the parent element and see if it makes a difference..

Better - Dp what SonofSanta said...
      Last edited by spadam; 26th November 2013 at 03:55 PM.

6. 2 Thanks to spadam:

sonofsanta (26th November 2013), Stuart_C (27th November 2013)

Thank Post
      Cheers for the responses.

For reference the answer to "why are you doing x" is mostly "Because I am rubbish".

However the help is appreciated and I shall give the suggestions a go tomorrow and see how I get on. Thanks!

SHARE: