+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, sql programming/usage in Coding and Web Development; (atm i know little i did it as a paper only module at college) im looking for resources thats can ...

Thank Post

sql programming/usage

(atm i know little i did it as a paper only module at college)

im looking for resources thats can help me get up to speed with sql databases (probably ms mql) the idea is i can use various vbs scripts (or even powershell in the future) to log details of whatever say logons pc spec to a database but im not sure where to even start (other than installing sql lol) anyone got any good resources that might be able to help me?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    What level are you at with SQL at the moment? Can you write and understand queries? Aggregate functions? Joins?

Decide now whether you're going to focus on MS SQL (T-SQL), or MySQL, they're very different beasts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    What level are you at with SQL at the moment? Can you write and understand queries? Aggregate functions? Joins?

Decide now whether you're going to focus on MS SQL (T-SQL), or MySQL, they're very different beasts
    i once learned the commands about 10 years ago as a paper module. Other than that followed a few readmes to get sophos/something else that uses sql working

Thank Post
    well so far by just playing round i have sql express installed and ive created a simple table date time other and can manually add data in sql studio so thats a good start date format is annoying me being 2012-11-21 but as it converts to that what you type in i can probably live with that though i assume it can be specified somewhere

Thank Post
    right. Installed sql express 2012 on a pc to play with. Been using sql management studio to create a database manually (seemed like a good idea to get a database up and running and manually add data to start with. Im trying to create a relationship between 2 tables (serial_no) so i can have a table separate from the rest that links the serial number in what will be an autoupdated table to one i can manually add info to so table 1 say contains all the pcs auto generate info table to contains serial no,date of purchase length of warranty). In trying to link tables all i get is that it dosent like a variable type of text (fine varchar(50) seems to be ok for what i want and will allow links) but all i get is

the columns in tabletable_1 do not match an existing key or unique constraint

googleing it says i need a primary key in table one. Table 1 has a unique id (integer that i envisage as an autonumber) as does table 2 (integer that i envisage as an autonumber) any ideas

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread