+ Post New Thread
Coding Thread, Visual Basic Database in Coding and Web Development; Hey all, So we still use an old fasioned system for our Projector Cleaning Rota. Head of I.T. Support set ...

Thank Post

Visual Basic Database

Hey all,
    So we still use an old fasioned system for our Projector Cleaning Rota. Head of I.T. Support set up an Excel sheet with all of the projectors in our school listed. The spreadsheet has different colums including the room that the projectors are in, the model of projectors, the date of when the last projector was cleaned and a traffic light system is currently used to check when the projectors need cleaning (Green is 0-99 Days, Yellow is 100-149 days and Red is 150+ days). This is all well and good but it just means that we need to constantly be checking the spreadsheet for which projectors need to be cleaned.

Now since I am only an apprentice, I go to college 1 day per week. Our next assignment at college is to design or code something in visual basic that will to someones needs. My lecturer suggested doing something to tie into work and to be honest I would love the oppertunity to be able to create something like this (I really love coding!), but I have no idea where to start with it all. I am pretty fluent in the things that I have been taught in visual basic but I don't think that I have the knowledge yet to create this sort of thing.

If anyone could point me in a good direction in terms of things I will need to know for this sort of project then that would be much appreciatied.

Thanks again guys,
    Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh I hope you mean VB.net rather than VB6 from 1997 or so.

If so just grab a copy of Visual Studio Express, use it to make a web app with a SQL Express DB, a dataview control and some conditional logic, you should be fine to generate it in a web page. You could also make a basic app that gets run as a scheduled task each day to check the DB and email you if required with the outstanding jobs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Oh I hope you mean VB.net rather than VB6 from 1997 or so.

If so just grab a copy of Visual Studio Express, use it to make a web app with a SQL Express DB, a dataview control and some conditional logic, you should be fine to generate it in a web page. You could also make a basic app that gets run as a scheduled task each day to check the DB and email you if required with the outstanding jobs.
    Yeah I was hoping to be able to have it email us, Should work great. Only problem being I don't know much in terms of SQL, Looks like I know how my half term is going to be spent. The college I am at is actually VB6, but I personally use VB.net for projects I do myself.
    Thanks a lot.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NerdNamedMatt View Post
    Yeah I was hoping to be able to have it email us, Should work great. Only problem being I don't know much in terms of SQL, Looks like I know how my half term is going to be spent. The college I am at is actually VB6, but I personally use VB.net for projects I do myself.
    Thanks a lot.
    VS is quite good at generating most of that stuff automagicly, you can look at the codebehind. I once did almost a whole app with drag and drop, winforms and a DB.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    VS is quite good at generating most of that stuff automagicly, you can look at the codebehind. I once did almost a whole app with drag and drop, winforms and a DB.
    Wow. Maybe I won't spend too much time learning .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread