+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, Bye bye Hotmail, hello Outlook.com in Technical; Originally Posted by gshaw What does seem odd is the rebranding, whatever you think of the platform Hotmail is known ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    What does seem odd is the rebranding, whatever you think of the platform Hotmail is known worldwide....
    The hotmail brand was just known for being full of spam and having no modern features. MS HAD to re-brand it because it had gotten so bad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    The hotmail brand was just known for being full of spam and having no modern features. MS HAD to re-brand it because it had gotten so bad.
    Don't think I have had any spam make it to my hotmail inbox in quite some time (although Junk fills up nicely!).

With the changes from Windows Live to Microsoft accounts the rebranding makes sense so yes they did have to rebrand but maybe not for the reasons you suggest.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Don't think I have had any spam make it to my hotmail inbox in quite some time (although Junk fills up nicely!).

With the changes from Windows Live to Microsoft accounts the rebranding makes sense so yes they did have to rebrand but maybe not for the reasons you suggest.
    It was a toxic brand! No self respecting geek would have recommended hotmail to their friends or family, it was a featureless webmail throwback from the 1990's. At least the Outlook rebrand has some features that will put them in the same league as their rivals.

Thank Post
    It was a toxic brand! No self respecting geek would have recommended hotmail to their friends or family, it was a featureless webmail throwback from the 1990's. At least the Outlook rebrand has some features that will put them in the same league as their rivals.
    When was the last time you looked at hotmail?

Many of the features in Outlook.com have just come over from the last major upgrade (Sweep/built in IM/ect) - outlook.com is little more than a reskin and a relaunch.........

Thank Post
    When was the last time you looked at hotmail?
    irregularly. If they just introduced aliases and the other stuff mentioned in TFA i've not missed much.
    Hotmail had a seriously bad reputation for spam, the accounts that I use in school (usually logging into kids accounts) seem to be littered with rubbish.

Many of the features in Outlook.com have just come over from the last major upgrade (Sweep/built in IM/ect) - outlook.com is little more than a reskin and a relaunch.........
    i must have fallen for the marketing drive when they said they "built a brand new service from the round up"

Thank Post
    irregularly. If they just introduced aliases and the other stuff mentioned in TFA i've not missed much.
    Hotmail had a seriously bad reputation for spam, the accounts that I use in school (usually logging into kids accounts) seem to be littered with rubbish.

i must have fallen for the marketing drive when they said they "built a brand new service from the round up"
    You could in fact get a @live.com alias as well not so long ago.
    Lets remember what junk kids sign up for - I would like to bet half of that 'spam' is stuff they have only brought on themselves.

It is pure marketing drive, only the stupid tech blogs (oh and the BBC) out there are falling for it.

All the same the Metro UI is new and the long term changes around having a Microsoft account and not a Windows Live account are new.

Thank Post
    speaking of marketing BS and Metro: Windows 8 is now RTM

MSDN Blogs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12