+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Migrate Live@edu mailboxes to Office365 in Technical; Situation is I have a site using live@edu on a .sch.uk domain and all is fine. The site is to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts

Migrate Live@edu mailboxes to Office365

Situation is I have a site using live@edu on a .sch.uk domain and all is fine. The site is to change from a Junior to a Primary over the summer, along with a name change. Now I have the new .org.uk domain name set-up for Office365.

What is the best way to migrate mailboxes from the sch.uk tenancy to the new .org.uk tenancy? Documentation on-line talk about on-premises to cloud migrations, not cloud to cloud.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    You can use the migration tools to move emais from one mail system to another.

Ben

Thank Post
    Already tried exchange and IMAP options with no success hence the post.

Thank Post
    I haven't looked at anything but Live@Edu -> different Live@Edu and haven't re-checked in the last few months but it was like this:

1) To use the MS UI to migrate from a school Exchange server to Live@Edu-Exchange it requires matching mail addresses at each end (it can be a second 'proxy' address on the Live@Edu side), and the initial show-stopper for Live@Edu->Live@Edu is that you can't have the same domain name attached to two tenancies. If you're lucky you might be able to simultaneously attach the same domain name to a Live@edu and Office365 tenancy (I suspect not), but being unable to get that far I don't know whether there are further obstacles.

2) There are some 3rd party utils for money that essentially read mailboxes from here and then write it there. A couple bounce it all via their infrastructure which would avoid stressing a potentially slow school link.

3) By far the easiest solution was to add the @newdomain as an accepted domain on the original tenancy, then make some easy powershell to rename the existing WindowsLiveIDs from @olddomain to @newdomain. The standard rename cmdlet does what you want, including add @olddomain as proxy address so they still get anything that's sent to their old address.

Unless a miracle has happened re. 1 above, then I'd think about #3 - depends on you not caring about Sharepoint/Lync, but you might be able to get it opted-in to a early migration afterwards.

5. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

SYSMAN_MK (18th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Nope can only have a domain attached to one tenancy at a time.

Have now managed to migrate test mailboxes from the Live@Edu tenancy to the Outlook365 tenancy via IMAP.

Needed to give an admin user on the Live@Edu tenancy Full Access to all the mailboxes that need migrating via PowerShell. Then added this users details to the migration csv file and it run perfectly!

Thank Post
    I've should have put that as option 4 really (I've done enough IMAP migrations), but first thing people seem to do when they get Exchange/Live@Edu is start using the calendars and contacts so I always think of mailbox as normal mail *and* all that stuff.

If you have some of the latter (not too many mind) you can move them via Outlook. Key points: Do the the same admin rights powershell for relevant mailboxes at both ends (turn off auto-mapping though!). Turn off Outlook cached mode. Import/Export PST is better than drag&drop,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    So I was right then

Ben

Thank Post
    Why not just upgrade your existing Live@edu tenant to Office 365, add the new domain name to the existing tenant, and rename all the users in-place?

Why do you need a whole new tenant?

Thank Post
    Needed to have Office 365 up and running by end of this month and current Domain hadn't been earmarked for upgrade.

All sorted now, new 365 domain is up and running.
    @jamesbmarshall Am I right in thinking that I can close the Live@Edu tenancy and add the old domain to my new 365 tenant and then emails to the old domain will be sent to the matching mail boxes of the new one, once DNS has been configured.

Many thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread