+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, live@edu asking for secondary phone and email details in Technical; I think it's called realpolitik. Ignoring the price: Live@Edu (with a dash of school friendly extensions) est mort, vive l'Office365 ...

Thank Post
    I think it's called realpolitik. Ignoring the price: Live@Edu (with a dash of school friendly extensions) est mort, vive l'Office365 (with none) nombre total d'utilisateurs!

Or something like that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Can someone explain to me in English exactly what happens when migrating Live@Edu to Office 365? Microsoft have made the whole process incredibly confusing.

I have three schools setup with Live@Edu with all accounts created. The domains have been verified, so all that is required is to send the MX changes to the LA which then makes Live@Edu the 'live' system. That was the original plan for the end of July 2012.

I've received an e-mail that states 'my establishment has been invited to upgrade' and that they'll be put on the 'free Exchange Online Plan 1'. Great, I understand all this bit.

I've checked the institute profile is all up-to-date and I plan on changing all user passwords via PowerShell after the upgrade.

So to start the upgrade it says sign in to the Live@edu Service Management Portal and follow the instructions. What instructions, there aren't any? And then it says I'll receive an e-mail once I start the upgrade. So how do I start the upgrade without any instructions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    You sign in to the management centre using the link in the email and follow the steps there?

Plus damn I've just realised that the tenant I've been invited to upgrade isn't the one I want to upgrade, grrrr.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    You sign in to the management centre using the link in the email and follow the steps there?

Plus damn I've just realised that the tenant I've been invited to upgrade isn't the one I want to upgrade, grrrr.

Ben
    The one school admin account I login in, I receive this error:

You need to enrol in the Live@edu programme before you can access the Live@edu Service Management Portal.

Learn more about Live@edu
    If you are already enrolled in the Live@edu programme, this message appears because the Service Management Portal is not yet supporting existing users who have not been migrated to the new system.
    Contact Live@edu support for assistance
    With the other two accounts, I can login successfully, I see the Service Management Portal with menu options to the left as normal. So where am I supposed to proceed to start an upgrade?

Thank Post
    This is what I get:

live-upgrade.png

Ben

6. Thanks to plexer from:

Michael (10th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks and I presume you see that as soon as you login? I wonder why I don't for the domain the e-mail was referring to?

I received the e-mail on 3rd July and as I've been busy, I've not had the chance until now to look at it.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the MX records not being moved over as yet?

Thank Post
    I had to add an additional contact before the upgrade domains button became live but all the rest was allready there.

Ben

Thank Post
    Really strange - it had to happen to me didn't it? I've sent off an e-mail to Microsoft support to see if there's anything they can do. Time will tell

Thank Post
    If you're not already using Live@edu, which by the sounds of it you've not yet rolled it out, I would recommend cancelling the Live@edu service completely and just sign up straight onto Office 365, rather than go through the upgrade process.

Go into Live@edu, delete any users you've created, and cancel the service at Windows Live Admin Center, then go to Secure Web Services for Schools, Colleges and Universities - Office 365 to sign up.

The reason for this is that you've not got any production data or live users in the service. The upgrade process leaves existing users with two identities to deal with: one personal, one institutional. Any users created after the upgrade will only get an institutional identity so it makes sense to start everyone off in the same manner.

If you want to know more about the upgrade, check out the wiki: Live@Edu Upgrade to Office 365 for education - Live@Edu Upgrade to Office 365 for education - Office 365 - Microsoft Office 365 Community

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply - So basically Microsoft have made a right mess of this haven't they?

It's taken me considerable time to setup Live@Edu, create all users and other specifics. It's tempting to ditch the whole lot and go with Google's offering.

Thank Post
    •This account is a personal account, and can't be administered by the educational institution:
    What a crock they end up with 2 accounts.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quick sanity check: The rule was (is?) the ONLY account that could get into the SMP is the one you made the administrator when you enrolled for the Live@Edu tenancy. Is the email link clicking happening via that account? If not forward the mail to the aforementioned administrator account, login to their mailbox and try clicking it from there.

Thank Post
    To drag this back on-topic.

If there is no way to stop the Office 365 from requesting additional information, is there any way we can pre-fill this data ?

I was planning to move the students over the Live@edu or Office 365 this summer, so ideally, if I could import a standard question and answer to all the accounts, this would be ideal. Say for example 'what is your date of birth' and put in their DOB to the answer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12