+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 for education - available now! in Technical; Will the end user experience anything different other than the additional apps? We have live@edu here, and it is excellent. ...

Thank Post
    Will the end user experience anything different other than the additional apps? We have live@edu here, and it is excellent. I just wouldn't want to sign up to something if the interface changes without discussing it with SLT.

Would it be possible to sign up, migrate and disable everything so we can test and add to our environment as and when we choose to?

Sorry if I haven't explained this well!

Many thanks,

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    Will the end user experience anything different other than the additional apps? We have live@edu here, and it is excellent. I just wouldn't want to sign up to something if the interface changes without discussing it with SLT.

Would it be possible to sign up, migrate and disable everything so we can test and add to our environment as and when we choose to?

Sorry if I haven't explained this well!

Many thanks,
    The email part is exactly the same from what I can gather. Its just exchange online.

If your talking about the office apps then they look pretty much the same but I would think it would just be used to compliment Microsoft office locally not replace it.

3. Thanks to zag from:

Gardinho (2nd July 2012)

Thank Post
    It's quite hard to pin things down, but my current(!) theory is: However you get to Office365 (via one of the migration phases or a brand new one) you can get a variety of different licences for free and the licence type you assign to a given user determines what feature they get. If you just want users to have the same-as-Live@Edu e-mail then you can assign Exchange Online (Plan 1) licences to them, and for testing sharepoint+lync at your leisure assign Microsoft Office 365 (Plan A2) to test accounts until you've got it all working & shiny, at which point you can upgrade all your users to A2.

I haven't checked every last detail for devils yet, but as above the user e-mail experience is effectively identical. You lose any branding you've added to Live@Edue.g. no more "St Trinians" and titchy logos, just the generic Office365 one. No SkyDrive etc. links in the banner, you get Home, Outlook & Team Site links instead.

5. 2 Thanks to PiqueABoo:

SYNACK (3rd July 2012), zag (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
    I think Shibboleth support is coming soon and isn't available right now (or least it wasn't a few weeks ago)
    It's available now: Use Shibboleth Identity Provider to implement single sign-on

7. 2 Thanks to jamesbmarshall:

SYNACK (3rd July 2012), zag (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Has anyone migrated from Google Apps to Live@Edu/Office365?

I am going to be looking at doing this - probably wouldn't bother moving over the students existing mailboxes (give them new empty ones), but we would need to do the staff ones and I get the feeling it will be a painful experience!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InterwebsGuy View Post
    That would be insane. Fewer services, less disk space ?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I am going to be looking at doing this - probably wouldn't bother moving over the students existing mailboxes (give them new empty ones), but we would need to do the staff ones and I get the feeling it will be a painful experience!
    It should be pretty easy, just give the staff new mailboxes and go round and shift over the emails.

11. Thanks to zag from:

InterwebsGuy (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    That would be insane. Fewer services, less disk space ?
    Better UI, better integration with existing internal stuff, can't you just get a t-shirt that says Google and Linux at all costs? I've got one for MS ;D

13. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have done email migrations from imap to exchange with imapsync, you need to enable imap on live@edu which is temporary but can be done then have a Linux box with this and a user list to run through them. How To Migrate Mailboxes Between IMAP Servers With imapsync | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials worked well for me and freed the users from the usability crime that is squrielmail. I just used an Ubuntu vm as you only need it to run the migration.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 3rd July 2012 at 11:46 AM.

15. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Better UI, better integration with existing internal stuff
    If you'r already using Google docs, migrating to office 365 makes no sense - different, and less familiar UI, less integration with existing stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

18. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    @CyberNerd they might like the upgrade from a glorified telnet session
    Thats just rubbish. We have teachers here who are dropping MSOffice 2010 in their droves because of the better collaboration features in google docs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Thats just rubbish. We have teachers here who are dropping MSOffice 2010 in their droves because of the better collaboration features in google docs.
    Unfair comparison much, I'll bet that Office 2010 was not tied into a SharePoint site like 365 to offer the same or better collaboration features. 365 does that with both desktop apps and the online ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the interest of keeping the thread on topic ... could a separate thread be raised to talk about the comparative analysis of Office365 and Google Apps for Education? I'm as guilty as the next person of generating this sort of thing into a circular argument but we could take it as read that any announcement of something from either offering will feed into the discussion instead?

22. 3 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

InterwebsGuy (4th July 2012), SYNACK (3rd July 2012), zag (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi,

I've been looking at Live@Edu and set up an additional domain to test it on - All is wonderful in the world...Then when I go to login to the service at one of my Derbyshire schools.. I find EMBC have blocked it - Asked them about it and the possibility of unblocking it, and got a "not a chance" response.
    I tried setting up Google Apps for Education and found it gets the same treatment - I understand that a lot of the "controllers" don't trust "the Cloud", but time for a reality check perhaps?
    It will be fun when Office 365 gets going.
    Anybody using the EMBC/LEA setup got anywhere with this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast