+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 for education - available now! in Technical; whats the file size limit for the students and staff with this for the free package? Im thinking to could ...
    Thank Post
    whats the file size limit for the students and staff with this for the free package? Im thinking to could technically replace our fileserver, haven't got to worry about backups either. Only an thought at the moment, really need to know the size limit.
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 30th June 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Think its 500mb, you'd still want backups though, clouds can blow away and all that.

Thank Post
    bugger, that's too small! think some of our students have over 1gb I think, we haven't got any limits set atm.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have teachers with 100GB+, was thinking of trying to map it as a separate drive for globally available, especially with the send to option. Depending on the auth pass-through options I was also thinking junction/mount points to auto map it as a subfolder in my docs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Think its 500mb, you'd still want backups though, clouds can blow away and all that.

Thats one of the advantages of having an intermediate app between the client and the cloud storage.
    The Google Drive the app syncs the contents of the users homedirectory on the local server to the Google app cloud, so you get the best of both worlds - local server storage and cloud access.
    + 5GB compared to the measly 500Mb MS offer.

Thank Post
    MS will have to up the 500MB as it looks very lame compared to the Google offering. Is anyone buying the MS line that the Sharepoint feature can replace the VLE

Personally I see 365 / GApps as a supplementary service, a productivity tool but not a complete learning system in its own right.
    Last edited by gshaw; 30th June 2012 at 07:08 PM.

7. Thanks to gshaw from:

SYNACK (1st July 2012)

Thank Post
    Could this be used as a schools primary email system. E.g. Run office 365 as the main email system for staff?

Could this be set up so that staff use it as their normal email system and students use it for theirs but the students can only email when on site? Or just email other students and not see staff emails?

If any of that makes sense to someone ;P
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Could this be used as a schools primary email system. E.g. Run office 365 as the main email system for staff?

Could this be set up so that staff use it as their normal email system and students use it for theirs but the students can only email when on site? Or just email other students and not see staff emails?

If any of that makes sense to someone ;P
    Thanks
    Yes, yes, yes and no plus yes.

You would have issues trying to restrict it to onsite only access as it is cloud based but it is basicly just a big Exchange setup, you can mess with the address lists so the teachers emails are not shown and you can even use Outlook 2010 as a client for the teachers as local apps always best cloudy rubbish on user experience and speed.

10. Thanks to SYNACK from:

tj2419 (1st July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes, yes, yes and no plus yes.

You would have issues trying to restrict it to onsite only access as it is cloud based but it is basicly just a big Exchange setup, you can mess with the address lists so the teachers emails are not shown and you can even use Outlook 2010 as a client for the teachers as local apps always best cloudy rubbish on user experience and speed.
    Cool. We are currently testing exchange 2010 but this could save us a fair amount of time and money plus the extra features. We currently use live @edu for onsite only and they can only send to other school inboxes. But for staff being used for external emails and 25gb mailboxes would be a massive advantage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cool. We are currently testing exchange 2010 but this could save us a fair amount of time and money plus the extra features. We currently use live @edu for onsite only and they can only send to other school inboxes. But for staff being used for external emails and 25gb mailboxes would be a massive advantage.
    You can also run split site if you need to with the teachers stuff hosted locally on an Exchange 2010 server and the rest handled by the external service. This can be handy if you want to give the teachers more space/speed and local access incase the internet goes down. Initially this is how we would be running it because our teachers, despite best efforts at training them still throw 10-20MB attachments around to all teachers and our internet link would not take kindly to ten or twenty teachers banging down the latest cute kitten powerpoint at once where as locally this is no problem at all. Even with a 100mbit link I'd still feel more comfortable with staff stuff internal as another advantage internal sensitive docs never traverse the net (unless checked remotely) which can be preferable.

Thank Post
    Despite the increasingly woeful state of PKI I don't rate the net traversal as much of a threat, and if they need more than 25GB then I think "tough" is a perfectly reasonable response - it's not that long ago when it was 1/3 of a max Standard database size and if they all start doing that you're probably doomed e.g. 100 x 25GB locally? Not in my neighborhood - thank you. I agree that link speed and staff naivete is something to consider.

Visibility drives me up the wall: They're either saying "Oh no! Students must not see staff because they might get sent some evil mail!" or "Oh no! Staff must not see students because they'll accidently select and send them the wrong mail by accident!". The only good news in this area is that Microsoft did fix the age-old problem of not being able to hook Outlook up to a hidden account - I can connect Outlook if I'm hidden, but I'm not sure if that works for connecting to a second mailbox yet (it didn't a few months ago). On a related note Automapping in the cloud hasn't worked reliably for me, so I take care to turn that off and add secondary mailboxes to Outlook the old way.

One of the key problems for me with Live@Edu/Office365 is that it's largely a one way deal - much easier to put your stuff in than get it out (although AIUI the hybrid online+onprem stuff lets you move from online->onprem) - exporting to PST with Outlook doesn't exactly scale past an occasional handful of mailboxes. MS have also picked a good area for their charging in archiving.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 1st July 2012 at 09:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Despite the increasingly woeful state of PKI I don't rate the net traversal as much of a threat, and if they need more than 25GB then I think "tough" is a perfectly reasonable response - it's not that long ago when it was 1/3 of a max Standard database size and if they all start doing that you're probably doomed e.g. 100 x 25GB locally? Not in my neighborhood - thank you. I agree that link speed and staff naivete is something to consider.

Visibility drives me up the wall: They're either saying "Oh no! Students must not see staff because they might get sent some evil mail!" or "Oh no! Staff must not see students because they'll accidently select and send them the wrong mail by accident!". The only good news in this area is that Microsoft did fix the age-old problem of not being able to hook Outlook up to a hidden account - I can connect Outlook if I'm hidden, but I'm not sure if that works for connecting to a second mailbox yet (it didn't a few months ago). On a related note Automapping in the cloud hasn't worked reliably for me, so I take care to turn that off and add secondary mailboxes to Outlook the old way.

One of the key problems for me with Live@Edu/Office365 is that it's largely a one way deal - much easy to put your stuff in than get it out (although AIUI the hybrid online+onprem stuff lets you move from online->onprem) - exporting to PST with Outlook doesn't exactly scale past an occasional handful of mailboxes. MS have also picked a good area for their charging in archiving.
    I'm pretty sure secondary hidden accounts are still a nuisance to connect to - and have to be unhidden.

Thank Post
    Anyone looking at using this as their schools email system? Our existing one is woeful.

We are currently testing exchange 2010 but this may allow us to save a lot of money and time.

Thank Post
    Anyone looking at using this as their schools email system? Our existing one is woeful.

We are currently testing exchange 2010 but this may allow us to save a lot of money and time.
    I moved our school from our county's aging mail system to Live@Edu last Easter and it's been great for us, use of email and shared calendars has risen greatly in our school. I set staff up to use Outlook on their laptops rather than the web interface and everyone seems to get along with it. I'm looking forward to migrating to the new Office 365.

One thing I did do before moving everyone to Live@Edu was make my own default retention policies so that mail wasn't moved around or deleted automatically, which might have confused some staff.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We moved last year to live@edu. Very happy with it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast