+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 for education - available now! in Technical; Originally Posted by edutech4schools When you log in email is disabled but you have the choice to update your DNS ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    When you log in email is disabled but you have the choice to update your DNS and MX which will in turn enable email or leave your old email system as is.
    You don't have to use all the services Office 365 for education provides. You can pick and choose. For example if you just wanted Lync Online, but not Exchange or SharePoint, that's fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Why not? We ditched MSOffice a while back for students. Surely if you can get it for free and it has FULL functionality as described then there would be no point paying for Office (or EES given that it would be cheaper to perpetually license windows under a school agreement without office)
    It's not full functionality as there are stacks of things that would simply choke a web app that Office does nicely locally. It has full nondestructive support to read and edit files so even using advanced feature on the local app, saving it to sharepoint then editing it with the web app will not kill the advanced features. Rendering of them is best effort for some things though so advanced accelerated transitions and some features like that are not fully rendered on the web version of powerpoint. Open it in the full app though and all that stiff is still there.

As to features it does have a cut down feature set as opposed to the desktop app but still eclipses Gaps for UI and features. It does have a decent feature set but Office is huge and porting all of it to a web app would result in a horrible slow mess given web apps inherent inefficiencies.

For students basic usage you would probably get away with the web apps but if you were using some of the deeper advanced Office features you would need the desktop app.

Thank Post
    So, you end up with only partial functionality - which for a 'complete' system, which includes email is in my mind pointless. You aren't going to get staff remembering google.com/a/schoolname.sch.uk, for example.

You lose so many features by not having email enabled.
    do not forget it is completely web based so you direct all users to the school website that you have designed with big fat pictures of the different apps. Nobody has to know what the address really is and you have a nice central point with all your apps layed out how you need it.
    Last edited by edutech4schools; 28th June 2012 at 10:49 AM.

Thank Post
    can you name me one. not including email.

Thank Post
    So, you end up with only partial functionality - which for a 'complete' system, which includes email is in my mind pointless. You aren't going to get staff remembering google.com/a/schoolname.sch.uk, for example.

do not forget it is completely web based so you direct all users to the school website that you have designed with big fat pictures of the different apps. Nobody has to know what the address really is and you have a nice central point with all your apps layed out how you need it.
    and if you use sites, when a user logs in they get directed to the igoogle page but still within the website, so any apps, emails, calendars, tasks, docs are all listed and live.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post

As for it being 6 years behind Google Apps... Live@edu came first.
    That's an email client, were talking about office apps.

OK I got it. Office365 isn't a full office application, it's just a baby one that supplements MSOffice, like the google one does. I was hoping for something really good as they took so long releasing it to education.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Access is depreciated and horrible, it makes kittens cry when you use it. It is not supported as a web app but depending on the type of sharepoint offered it may be able to use preconstructed ones as searchable read/write data sources inside sharepoint. The better solution would be to write a sharepoint plugin to use its database strutures in SQL, faster/better etc.
    Yes I know, it is awful. There is too much in office that is no good.
    unfortunately we still needed to pay for a few office licenses because A level ICT exam board uses Access files.

I seem to be hearing quite a lot of things that Office 365 doesn't do now, I was quite excited this morning and nearly signed us up.

Thank Post
    I seem to be hearing quite a lot of things that Office 365 doesn't do now, I was quite excited this morning and nearly signed us up.
    What is there that it doesn't do that concerns you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    What is there that it doesn't do that concerns you?
    Access mostly. In reality I'd want to completely replace Desktop Office for the majority of users as a way of reducing costs.
    I don't think I'd want to jump ship to a relatively new product that is so far behind Google which has seen years of development in web based collaborative apps.

I'll probably sign up for a test site and check it out though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the other things to note is that when we are talking about what is available in comparison with Google Apps for Education then you have to remember that a fair few of the google apps are not part of the bundle, are not subject to the SLAs and are subject to change with no notice. That has been a problem for some people *including* some Google advocates / trainers.

The big bonuses for me ... availability of the web apps of Word/Excel/Powerpoint/OneNote (and OneNote probably gets the biggest thumbs up!) which don't mess up my files, the inclusion of Lync and SharePointOnline (though I still want to call it SharePointLite to be honest ... I need to get to grips with it to fully see what is missing from a fully featured install ... but I don't think I'll wait until the next SharePoint Saturday).

Most of what is available is a direct comparison with the offerings from Google Apps for Education. Both sides have some bits which are better than the opposition and some which are not as good.

I prefer the management of Office365 for email / calendar / etc, Google Sites and Groups are a bit better to manage that trying to create a website or have group discussions in SharePointOnline ... but SharePointOnline is more powerful when it comes to managing information, business processes, etc.

Some of it will be about personal preference about how much you want certain tools to work ... most of the functionality and how you make the most of it can be translated between the services anyway if you have teachers with some sense (and there are plenty out there in spite of what some may experience ... but still not enough though).

The other personal thing is about the relationship and support ... I have always found it easier to work with and share with the MS education team than with Google. There are a number of teachers who have been on Google training, MS Partners in Learning or are Apple Distinguished Educators ... (still haven't found anyone with all 3 yet) and most can make use of any tool provided, though some evangelise about particular ecosystems more than others.

10. 4 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

Jon_boy1984 (2nd July 2012), Roberto (5th July 2012), SYNACK (28th June 2012), zag (28th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another great advantage of the Google Apps system is their Chromebooks. Brilliant little devices, all integrated and managed via the dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    can you name me one. not including email.
    A more unified communications system. For example chat combines with email etc...

Thank Post
    Access mostly. In reality I'd want to completely replace Desktop Office for the majority of users as a way of reducing costs.
    I don't think I'd want to jump ship to a relatively new product that is so far behind Google which has seen years of development in web based collaborative apps.

I'll probably sign up for a test site and check it out though.
    It's not really Microsoft's strategy to kill the desktop apps completely as desktop Office is still a lot more powerful than the web app... the ability to seamlessly move between the two is what I'm after

Thank Post
    Think Grumbldook is on the right lines which is one reason I needed to set up 365 without it taking over our domain / email. I would like to pick the best parts from both and merge the two together.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone get their hands on the document that outlines the SSO of Office 365 with Shibboleth? I have to get it through a partner and we haven't got one.

JUst want to read what's going on and show the LEA>

Cheers

GJE

Thank Post
    The university selected Office 365 over Google Apps because it gives us a robust enterprise-class platform for developing a radical new approach to collaboration and communication that goes far beyond email”
    Just seen this on the 365 website. Are they taking the P***. So they tested all the 365 apps (docs, calendar) against gmail. Hmmm that's fair.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Can anyone get their hands on the document that outlines the SSO of Office 365 with Shibboleth? I have to get it through a partner and we haven't got one.

JUst want to read what's going on and show the LEA>

Cheers

GJE
    I think Shibboleth support is coming soon and isn't available right now (or least it wasn't a few weeks ago)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast