+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Hosted email solutions using Live@Edu, Office 365, Google Docís Ö. in Technical; Hosted email solutions using Live@Edu, Office 365, Google Docís Ö. Iím probably overthinking this and wonder if you could help ...

Thank Post

Hosted email solutions using Live@Edu, Office 365, Google Docís Ö.

Hosted email solutions using Live@Edu, Office 365, Google Docís Ö.

Iím probably overthinking this and wonder if you could help clear or allay my concerns regarding free hosted email systems.

From what I can tell Ėvirtually every free hosted email system supports only personal archiving of email. I donít know what Googleís policy is; but I spoke with Microsoft and they said that they only kept content of emails for 30 days. I believe they have to keep the records of who emailed who and at what time for quite a bit longer.

I guess this is within the UK and EU data retention policies for ISPís Ö but what about schools? Like businesses Ė surely schools need to keep archived materials relating to the ďbusinessĒ for several years? In an environment where emails are externally hosted and users responsible for keeping the archives; is this something to be worried or concerned about?

Then there is the duty of care relating to the students; do the schools not have a duty of care to identify certain activities that pose risks to the students? With no central archiving policy Ė how can a school trace and deal with situations?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    if you use outlook and OST/PST files you can in theory download them locally although defeats the point of the object in it being cloud based!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zippo View Post
    I don’t know what Google’s policy is; but I spoke with Microsoft and they said that they only kept content of emails for 30 days.
    Only in the case of Exchange Online Plan 1 in Office 365 for education. If you need longer than 30 days for single item recovery there is always Exchange Online Plan 2.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread