+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, live@edu vs google in Technical; So i'm doing some research into the whole live@edu vs google apps to see what the benefits of both are. ...
    Thank Post

live@edu vs google

So i'm doing some research into the whole live@edu vs google apps to see what the benefits of both are. Are you a user of either of these? If so what do you like and dislike about them?

Cheres
    Alex

Thank Post
    We're currently doing the same. Thinking about replacing our LEA email with one of these for either our school, or our trust.

We're at the start of our journey, but so far it seems Google is easier to manage 'out of the box' but live@edu is more customisable once you've got your head around powershell.

I like skydrive, it's space and excellent office web apps, and outlook would be the easier option for staff training (we already use owa). Google apps seems to hold more opportunity for development (sites, blogs, youtube, Piccasa etc.). GA seems to be a more exciting tool, and has been around a lot longer. LDAP integration seems better documented on GA.

I posted the same question on twitter a couple of days ago. I'm waiting to talk to someone from Norfolk who have now moved over to GA. 150,000 accounts I'm told. One of my questions to this person will be what assurances from google did you get that this service will be maintained and continue to be free?

There are a number of posts on here discussing the merits and migrations of schools. Do a search to kick you off...

Thank Post
    You can setup Google Apps for Ed for free and without it causing any issues with your current settings. You don't need to change any dns or MX settings to try it out. I would go to the GA for Ed site and sign your school up. That way you can have a play.

If you like it you can setup mx records and dns directors so the system can replace your current setup.

Thank Post
    We too are looking into moving away from LEA email and going to either live@edu or Google.
    I had a chat to people on both stands at Bett.

Google Apps looks good but I don't feel it's what we're looking for at the school. I spoke to one of the developers who assured me that Google apps for Education would remain free.

Live@edu looks good. At the moment I'd look at using the live outlook and I like the look of skydrive. My concerns are about how this is changing regarding Office 365 as the person who I spoke to thinks certain things would be chargeable and not included in our EES agreement :-(

I've sent an email off to Microsoft asking about the changes and what costs might be involved. Depending on the outcome we might be looking at Google again :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Some of the things that I noted when testing Google apps vs Live@Edu. We settled on Google and have been running for about 18months.

Google apps has FAR more services that are useful for schools - Picassa, Google sites, Apps, 3rd party apps, there is a huge list if you search.
    Live@Edu is mostly email based - office 365 will integrate more features but some of these will be chargable.
    Google apps has better active directory integration and synchronisation for an existing domain
    Google apps has better collaboration features, these are really useful for education
    Google apps allows SIMS integration through the secure data connector (you'll need to write some code here, but it has more possibilities due to the open and well used API) - these could allow building appengine sites or just linking to spreadsheets etc.
    Google has a very good support system - I needed to call twice, both times I was called back by an engineer who could fix it within an hour.

Thank Post
    Back when I tested both I found I could control and lock down more with the Google system, although I would imagine MS will continue to add more control features over time and may have done so since I tested it.

Thank Post
    Has anyone had issue with staff training when moving to Google Apps. And do you use google docs etc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    We're currently doing the same. Thinking about replacing our LEA email with one of these for either our school, or our trust.

We're at the start of our journey, but so far it seems Google is easier to manage 'out of the box' but live@edu is more customisable once you've got your head around powershell.

I like skydrive, it's space and excellent office web apps, and outlook would be the easier option for staff training (we already use owa). Google apps seems to hold more opportunity for development (sites, blogs, youtube, Piccasa etc.). GA seems to be a more exciting tool, and has been around a lot longer. LDAP integration seems better documented on GA.

I posted the same question on twitter a couple of days ago. I'm waiting to talk to someone from Norfolk who have now moved over to GA. 150,000 accounts I'm told. One of my questions to this person will be what assurances from google did you get that this service will be maintained and continue to be free?

There are a number of posts on here discussing the merits and migrations of schools. Do a search to kick you off...
    To be honrst I'd be very suprised if the norfolk system is free from google.

Ben

Thank Post
    To be honrst I'd be very suprised if the norfolk system is free from google.
    It is free for education and government

Thank Post
    Has anyone had issue with staff training when moving to Google Apps.
    I used Sites to create a website for the school to log in to that has all the apps and resources in one place. I also created some very very basic walk through guides on the resources page.

I enabled 1 item at a time and showed the staff how to use that part, then when they were completely comfortable with that I would switch on another app.

I have had very very good feedback. The staff have found the Google system very easy to use and very powerful.

And do you use google docs etc?
    Only one of my schools has started to use this. It is the last stage in my roll out. So far so good and I will be introducing it to my other schools. The local community college has been using the full suite of apps including docs for about a year and a half. The last time a had a chat with them they were very happy with the Google system.

Thank Post
    Just because a school etc... could sign up for a google apps domain etc... for free doesn't mean that how it's been setup in norfolk with integration etc... is free

Schools in Norfolk are provided with internet connectivity as a county wide wan and an email solution using google as well as other connected services, this whole package is charged to the schools and I've never seen a breakdown of the costing yet.

Ben

Thank Post
    I may be wrong but they probably don't give the schools access to the admin pages and so could charge for the general up keep and admin side of things. Its like charging for open source, you cant charge for the software itself but you can charge for the service you oversee that uses that free software.

If I was a Norfolk school I would be requesting a breakdown of services / costings, just so I can compare against other companies.

Thank Post
    Indeed allthougj regarding a breakdown until a school becomes an academy norfolk keep all the grant money for internet services and schools don't really have a choice.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I may be wrong but they probably don't give the schools access to the admin pages and so could charge for the general up keep and admin side of things.

You can delegate parts of the google admin console to sub organisations.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iosoma View Post
    Has anyone had issue with staff training when moving to Google Apps. And do you use google docs etc?
    Google provide a huge amount of training material when you sign up. We also did some training.
    The only 'issues' were people who didn't want to use it in the first place.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast