+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Google classroom in Technical; Google classroom looks like it might be handy. https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/#topic=6020277...

Thank Post

Google classroom

Google classroom looks like it might be handy.

https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/#topic=6020277

rdk

Thank Post
    Currently its only been available for some who applied to test it out a few months ago, but will be available to all GAFE domains from week beginning next Monday.

3. Thanks to rdk from:

fiza (8th August 2014)

Thank Post
    I have to admit to being wary of using google products, as I don't know which ones they will still support in a few months time...

rdk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aking99 View Post
    I have to admit to being wary of using google products, as I don't know which ones they will still support in a few months time...
    Missing your Orkut friends?

Thank Post

They all do thus. A few years back I had all my photos in Microsoft's photo system, they pulled the plug on that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I spoke to the Google UK Commercial chap about this a few months back. This is basically a reorganisation of exiting technologies, with a little bit of streamlining when it comes to placing documents within a group of 'Drive' folders, thats really it.

I was greatly let down.

8. Thanks to GREED from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (8th August 2014)

Thank Post
    I had a play in the Beta for this and looks great. Hopefully this will be the final nail in my school's ancient vle.

Thank Post
    It's the end of Fronter for us. @GREED - I see the repackaging of existing technologies as a strength. They are proven and there's nothing new to learn, plus there's less of a reason for Classroom to go the way of Orkut, Wave et al.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When it is billed as a classroom management tool, then I am.let down. As a re brand and couple of bells and whistles on top of Drive and Mail, less so

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rdk View Post
    Missing your Orkut friends?
    youtube for schools lack of sign up annoys me
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 11th August 2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: swearing

Thank Post
    I'm somewhat hesitant to use this. As someone who has written Moodle plugins and whatnot I like to maintain full control. We do use Gmail as the main source of emailing between staff (We have our domain attached) but I'm still weary on the classroom

rdk

Thank Post
    I agree with most of the above in that Classroom is not particularly revolutionary, and does streamline/repackage some existing Google Docs workflows. However, for teachers/schools with no particular existing workflow Classroom does make the folder creation/assignment distribution easier.

The one aspect that is completely new is the "submit" feature for student work. Teachers can distribute an assignment with a due date, and the students have a "submit" (maybe it says "turn in") button on their Google Doc. Once this is clicked the document is submitted to the teacher and students have no ability to re-edit their work. For timed assessments etc this could be very useful, and without some very complicated (ie students/teachers would not all get it right) playing around with permissions there is no easy way to recreate this within an existing workflow. I think once Google releases the APIs for this feature and for Classroom as a whole there will be some very interesting developments.

15. Thanks to rdk from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (12th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rdk View Post
    The one aspect that is completely new is the "submit" feature for student work. Teachers can distribute an assignment with a due date, and the students have a "submit" (maybe it says "turn in") button on their Google Doc. Once this is clicked the document is submitted to the teacher and students have no ability to re-edit their work. For timed assessments etc this could be very useful, and without some very complicated (ie students/teachers would not all get it right) playing around with permissions there is no easy way to recreate this within an existing workflow. I think once Google releases the APIs for this feature and for Classroom as a whole there will be some very interesting developments.
    I agree, this is a decent feature... Aspen's VLE did this 2 years ago mind (that is, create and do this in Google Docs). Where I struggle is in the UK how wide spread this will be, with all the VLE options and relative lack of 'total Google' UK schools. Different totally to the US.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread