+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps For Education in Technical; Is anybody on here using Google apps for education at the moment, I have been looking into it and was ...

Thank Post

Google Apps For Education

Is anybody on here using Google apps for education at the moment, I have been looking into it and was looking for feedback from schools that are using it at the moment. And is it really FREE? surely there's a charge somewhere?

I have just seen the new app called Classroom which looks cool.

Could you let me know of the pros and cons?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,711 Posts
    It is definitely free and we are using it. The calendars and email were quickly grasped by all. It has taken longer to get google docs into general use. We even have google forms being used routinely for various functions.

Thank Post
    We use it and chromebooks. We do not use it for email. While it is zero cost for the basic package, you will probably want some backup provision - which will cost you. Generally as a means for enabling collaboration and communication of curriculum resources it is a good thing. More problematic is it's use for administrative tasks and particularly storage of sensitive personal information. It's not that it can't be used for these things, just that if you do use it, you need to consider how you can comply with subject requests because as standard there is no way to search across stored files/documents for all users.

Thank Post
    You can use third party apps to backup your docs thus enabling you to search across stored files/documents for all users.

https://www.google.com/enterprise/ma...26298856&pli=1

- - - Updated - - -
    @pcstru - Can I ask how your users login to their chromebooks? Did you have to set up a completely new domain in order to keep your existing email domain separate?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    @pcstru - Can I ask how your users login to their chromebooks? Did you have to set up a completely new domain in order to keep your existing email domain separate?
    We don't have a separate domain, we just didn't set up the email side of GA so our MX records point to our internal exchange server and the server is set to allow email originating from google. We use the password sync so users just log in with their email address and AD password. Our biggest issue is that users then need to log into smoothwall - anyone have a way round this (one which still logs
    activity against the user).

[ETA - I must be missing something, I can't see how to actually get the archiving script you linked to.]
    Last edited by pcstru; 7th August 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Thank Post
    It's also worth knowing that management licences for Chromebooks cost £19 each.

Thank Post
    We have been using it for two years here - for email and starting to use drive more.
    Trialling some chromebooks - you have to pay for a licence to control them but the features it gives you to control them from the console are good and work very well on the one I tried.
    Google support is very good - fast response and you can talk to techs in Ireland who are very helpful.

Thank Post
    Yes, so far we're really impressed with the Chromebooks and indeed with GAPPS itself.

rdk

Thank Post
    We've been using it for ~ 3 years across the school Yr 7 - 12, for email as well as Docs/Drive. The Docs/Drive side of things does need some teacher champions to introduce, test and show other teachers what is possible - preferably including a co-ordinator who can mandate use across a subject/year level to kick-start the adoption. We have purchased Google Vault ($10 per FTE, then no cost per student accounts) which backs up all email - this is for compliance rather than simply back-up. Vault backs up deleted email, and current Docs but not deleted Docs (so not much of a Docs back-up, really).

Thank Post
    You can restore deleted files for 25days. Link: https://support.google.com/a/answer/6052340

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rdk View Post
    . Vault backs up deleted email, and current Docs but not deleted Docs (so not much of a Docs back-up, really).
    So if you backed up a doc to the vault then a user deleted it in their gdrive do you still have the copy in the vault?
    Is the vault synchronised overnight?

rdk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    So if you backed up a doc to the vault then a user deleted it in their gdrive do you still have the copy in the vault?
    Is the vault synchronised overnight?
    No- there may be a limited span as above where deleted files can be restored, but as a real back-up Vault only works for email. You can set retention policies, so if a user deletes an email it gets stored in Vault for up to 999 years or something like that. But deleted Docs can't be backed-up via a retention policy. As far as I know Vault is simply automatic, all the time behind the scenes. We have never actually recovered deleted emails (staff don't generally know its going on, but it's not a "secret"). But we know if lawyers come knocking five years after someone has left we can recover their deleted email.

There are various third party apps that will back up all Drive data (docs etc). These work via cloud-to-cloud (generally expensive) or reside on a server and overnight download files as .docx, .xlsx, .ppt etc. I guess these are somewhat peace of mind in case google deletes your domain or something, but you wouldn't want to have to look in there for lost files very regularly (this is what we have, but we didn't pay much and its a bit buggy). The cloud to cloud backups (ie Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solutions: Google Apps & Salesforce | Spanning) are advertised as full back-up & restore solutions.

13. Thanks to rdk from:

fiza (11th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Vault now covers drive too

15. Thanks to rob_coles from:

fiza (11th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Yes, I saw that Vault had been extended but haven't explored properly yet.

Thank Post
    Just broke the 200 owned point on Chrome devices and doc use seems to climb every month. Very happy with Google Docs...

Staff uptake is to be expected with some finding it harder to understand than others however I found the students seems to be driving it more than the staff.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast