+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Rules on using Google Apps / Cloud services in Technical; Hi people, We are currently investigating using Google Apps for education and my Head has asked if i inquire it's ...

Thank Post

Rules on using Google Apps / Cloud services

Hi people,

We are currently investigating using Google Apps for education and my Head has asked if i inquire it's allowed by our L.A. (Kent)

Does anyone know where i would find such information or indeed whether the L.A. would have a say in such matters ?

I've been all over the KELSI website and anything else i can find and all i seem to be able to turn up are usage policies rather than rules about what services schools can sign up to and use. I would have thought Becta might have had some information on such things but as they've been gone for a few years now i don't know where else to look.

Personally i don't see it should be a problem given that we already have services such as Kerboodle and Parentpay that hold student data offsite but if anyone can enlighten me or point me in the right direction to any rules/documentation that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post
    All we had to do was call the ICO and get the school added to the 'Data is held outside the EU' section. But I think they might have bulk added all schools to this now.

Nothing to do with the LA which services you decide to use.

3. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

Dav3y (9th July 2014)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanks,

Sounds like as i thought that it's our choice what services we use. I'll give the ICO a call and enquire about the Data outside EU thing as i've found our ICO registration.
    Our local School ICT support provider in Kent also seem to be of the opinion that it's up to us what we use but will send me over some information regarding safe use which falls more into line with policies and network use and general sensible use and setup.

Thank Post
    Happy to help directly as many Kent schools contact me regarding this but the ultimate decision and responsibility will lie with the headteacher/governing body so I would suggest that they are suitably informed about both the risks and benefits of cloud storage so they can make an informed decision. There is e-Safety content on Kelsi and also regarding data protection here

The ICO have guidance on cloud usage (not specific to schools) here and you may also find this blog post useful

7. Thanks to esafety_officer from:

IrritableTech (10th July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread