+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Cloud offsite storage and staff access in one package? in Technical; Ok, I'm probably missing something here but thought I'd be able to find something that would do what i'd like ...

Thank Post

Cloud offsite storage and staff access in one package?

Ok, I'm probably missing something here but thought I'd be able to find something that would do what i'd like easily - but I cannot!
    I do admit I assume it would prob be too pricey for our budget.

Anyways, thinking about offsite backups again (asked to look at it by the governors) and it's got me thinking about off site storage.

Current storage is just below 1tb. We'd keep file storage in school but sync'd daily (or twice daily) with a cloud provider giving staff SIMPLE access to their files and staff shared areas off site.

Although loosely fitting the description, this could also be considered an offsite backup?

It would be more a backup solution than a files off site service I guess as files offsite would not be 'live' and would only be updated at the time of the sync.
    Staff could be made aware of this, and although limited would offer them some access weekends, holidays etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank Post
    I think a backup should be treated as a backup and should NOT be accessible by staff. Version control would be a nightmare, and that's just the start of the issues you are likely to face.
    For staff offsite file storage have you considered Office365 and a simple sharepoint site? Its free for schools, and each staff member gets 50GB of their own storage for emails and files.

Thank Post
    I think you are right. Unless there's a service that backs up what is available for staff - so would kinda kill two birds and all that?
    Of course you would need access to the backups, and staff would need access to the current file - guess this is a bit pie in the sky?

Can you sync between a local shared folder and office 365?
    I'd like to have our staff folder available as that seems to be where everyone stores their files. Their own documents folders are often quite empty.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klop View Post
    I think you are right. Unless there's a service that backs up what is available for staff - so would kinda kill two birds and all that?
    Of course you would need access to the backups, and staff would need access to the current file - guess this is a bit pie in the sky?

Can you sync between a local shared folder and office 365?
    I'd like to have our staff folder available as that seems to be where everyone stores their files. Their own documents folders are often quite empty.
    No, you can't simply sync a local shared folder with Office365. I wish you could, but it isn't designed that way.

I have a similar situation here. The staff shared area is a mapped drive on the local server, but they can't access it from home. I think HAP+ might do what you want, but I've no experience of it as yet - I'm just starting to look into it. There's plenty of threads on here about HAP+ or Maybe give @nickbro a call.

Thank Post
    Cheers, the news I expected - but not what I wanted!

Have been looking at HAP+ a little this morning too. Not sure how well our staff will cope though if not editable in the browser.

Will try to set some time aside to try and set it up and have a play though, does look good.

Thanks again

Thank Post
    Both Office 365 and Google Apps have a drive system but I would use it more like a USB key. At all my primary schools we have remote desktop access from home which gives the staff the same desktop and settings from home as they would get at school, they can even print to the school printers etc. Remote desktop is very cheap, something like £10 per user cal and already built in to Windows servers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread