+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps School Directory Sync in Technical; Originally Posted by Jwzg For email addresses we use graduation year as part of the address. You could use "class ...
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    222
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwzg View Post
    For email addresses we use graduation year as part of the address. You could use "class of 20xx" as your email group names and never have to change them.
    We do something similar for individual student email addresses but for class emails I think you misunderstand.

    Our Principal want it tied into a student's academic classes (of which 1 student has many) so the teacher of that class can send an email to the whole of the class. So for Year 10 Science Group 1, Mr Jones can send them all an email with their homework.

    Fortunately our MIS (SIMS) lets you create bespoke reports and export them as spreadsheets so I have created two. One with all the classes listed, and one with all students and the classes they belong to.

    Unfortunately the data still requires editing so I'm creating a couple of VBA macros to do that. Then the idea is I will import these csv files (first create the groups, then assign the students to those groups) into AD using a Powershell script. Finally I'll sync all this with Google.

    It's a bit of a faff TBH and our class lists change throughout the year too. Fun times ahead!

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    222
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Just so you know, GADS can do this very easily. Just create a group in AD, add the members and sync. Job done.

    Similar to comments by @seawolf above, I think its probably easier to manager this by AD than MIS.
    In relation to this, do you just add your students to a standard security group in AD or do you use something else?

    Having not yet fully set up our Google Mail for all our users does it let you email security groups?
    Last edited by Tall_Paul; 2nd July 2014 at 09:08 AM.

  3. #18

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 283 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    We do something similar for individual student email addresses but for class emails I think you misunderstand.

    Our Principal want it tied into a student's academic classes (of which 1 student has many) so the teacher of that class can send an email to the whole of the class. So for Year 10 Science Group 1, Mr Jones can send them all an email with their homework.

    Fortunately our MIS (SIMS) lets you create bespoke reports and export them as spreadsheets so I have created two. One with all the classes listed, and one with all students and the classes they belong to.

    Unfortunately the data still requires editing so I'm creating a couple of VBA macros to do that. Then the idea is I will import these csv files (first create the groups, then assign the students to those groups) into AD using a Powershell script. Finally I'll sync all this with Google.

    It's a bit of a faff TBH and our class lists change throughout the year too. Fun times ahead!
    You should take a look at StudentNet SSO (Studentnet | Make the Cloud Yours!), which can replace GADS and GAPS, as well as pulling student groups and classlists from school admin systems and automatically creating email groups in Google Apps. They are dynamically updated. It can also provide SSO for Zendesk and other systems.

    It can do all you want and more.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    222
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    You should take a look at StudentNet SSO (Studentnet | Make the Cloud Yours!), which can replace GADS and GAPS, as well as pulling student groups and classlists from school admin systems and automatically creating email groups in Google Apps. They are dynamically updated. It can also provide SSO for Zendesk and other systems.

    It can do all you want and more.
    I doubt it'll work with SIMS unfortunately (have only found one that does, and it doesn't link back to AD so is useless for us). It's SIMS that's the problem really.

  5. #20

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,729
    Thank Post
    1,271
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    In relation to this, do you just add your students to a standard security group in AD or do you use something else?

    Having not yet fully set up our Google Mail for all our users does it let you email security groups?
    Yes students go into a security group in AD, GADS will create a group in Google Apps for any AD Security Groups that you choose to sync (and have an email address associated with it) and put the members of that AD group into the Google Apps groups.

    I have a report in SIMS that outputs pupils and classes, so my workflow is SIMS reports -> bulk AD upload tool (to make AD match SIMS info) -> GADS
    After this I have pupils in the correct groups in both AD and Google Apps and group email addresses.

  6. #21

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,618
    Thank Post
    1,230
    Thanked 776 Times in 673 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    I doubt it'll work with SIMS unfortunately (have only found one that does, and it doesn't link back to AD so is useless for us). It's SIMS that's the problem really.
    SalamanderSoft do a SIMS-to-Active Directory tool, if that's any help. Contact user @rpwillis.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    222
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Thanks for that. I've had a look but we don't need that level of granularity (plus I can script something myself to do it).

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    222
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Yes students go into a security group in AD, GADS will create a group in Google Apps for any AD Security Groups that you choose to sync (and have an email address associated with it) and put the members of that AD group into the Google Apps groups.

    I have a report in SIMS that outputs pupils and classes, so my workflow is SIMS reports -> bulk AD upload tool (to make AD match SIMS info) -> GADS
    After this I have pupils in the correct groups in both AD and Google Apps and group email addresses.
    Perhaps I should just PM you sparkeh, but others may find this useful.

    At the end of the academic year our students go up a year and all their classgroups change.

    I can handle the altering of groups within AD but will GADS pick this up and alter their groups accordingly? Otherwise there would be a horrific situation where someone who had gone from Year 9 to Year 10 would be a member (in Google) of all the Year 9 and 10 classlists.

    I'm guessing (and hoping) GADS handles this seamlessly but it doesn't harm to ask those of you who have experience.

  9. #24

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,729
    Thank Post
    1,271
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    I can handle the altering of groups within AD but will GADS pick this up and alter their groups accordingly?
    Yes it will.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Google Apps sync with Active Directory?
    By googlemad in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3rd April 2012, 02:23 PM
  2. Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook
    By cbsc in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th June 2011, 10:36 AM
  3. New version of the Google Apps Directory Sync tool
    By ianniow in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th May 2011, 12:52 PM
  4. Google Apps Schools
    By dave.81 in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 4th April 2011, 11:28 PM
  5. Google Apps with Outlook Sync
    By enjay in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th January 2011, 09:12 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •