+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps School Directory Sync in Technical; Originally Posted by Jwzg For email addresses we use graduation year as part of the address. You could use "class ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwzg View Post
    For email addresses we use graduation year as part of the address. You could use "class of 20xx" as your email group names and never have to change them.
    We do something similar for individual student email addresses but for class emails I think you misunderstand.

Our Principal want it tied into a student's academic classes (of which 1 student has many) so the teacher of that class can send an email to the whole of the class. So for Year 10 Science Group 1, Mr Jones can send them all an email with their homework.

Fortunately our MIS (SIMS) lets you create bespoke reports and export them as spreadsheets so I have created two. One with all the classes listed, and one with all students and the classes they belong to.

Unfortunately the data still requires editing so I'm creating a couple of VBA macros to do that. Then the idea is I will import these csv files (first create the groups, then assign the students to those groups) into AD using a Powershell script. Finally I'll sync all this with Google.

It's a bit of a faff TBH and our class lists change throughout the year too. Fun times ahead!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Just so you know, GADS can do this very easily. Just create a group in AD, add the members and sync. Job done.

Similar to comments by @seawolf above, I think its probably easier to manager this by AD than MIS.
    In relation to this, do you just add your students to a standard security group in AD or do you use something else?

Having not yet fully set up our Google Mail for all our users does it let you email security groups?
    Last edited by Tall_Paul; 2nd July 2014 at 09:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    We do something similar for individual student email addresses but for class emails I think you misunderstand.

Our Principal want it tied into a student's academic classes (of which 1 student has many) so the teacher of that class can send an email to the whole of the class. So for Year 10 Science Group 1, Mr Jones can send them all an email with their homework.

Fortunately our MIS (SIMS) lets you create bespoke reports and export them as spreadsheets so I have created two. One with all the classes listed, and one with all students and the classes they belong to.

Unfortunately the data still requires editing so I'm creating a couple of VBA macros to do that. Then the idea is I will import these csv files (first create the groups, then assign the students to those groups) into AD using a Powershell script. Finally I'll sync all this with Google.

It's a bit of a faff TBH and our class lists change throughout the year too. Fun times ahead!
    You should take a look at StudentNet SSO (Studentnet | Make the Cloud Yours!), which can replace GADS and GAPS, as well as pulling student groups and classlists from school admin systems and automatically creating email groups in Google Apps. They are dynamically updated. It can also provide SSO for Zendesk and other systems.

It can do all you want and more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    You should take a look at StudentNet SSO (Studentnet | Make the Cloud Yours!), which can replace GADS and GAPS, as well as pulling student groups and classlists from school admin systems and automatically creating email groups in Google Apps. They are dynamically updated. It can also provide SSO for Zendesk and other systems.

It can do all you want and more.
    I doubt it'll work with SIMS unfortunately (have only found one that does, and it doesn't link back to AD so is useless for us). It's SIMS that's the problem really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In relation to this, do you just add your students to a standard security group in AD or do you use something else?

Having not yet fully set up our Google Mail for all our users does it let you email security groups?
    Yes students go into a security group in AD, GADS will create a group in Google Apps for any AD Security Groups that you choose to sync (and have an email address associated with it) and put the members of that AD group into the Google Apps groups.

I have a report in SIMS that outputs pupils and classes, so my workflow is SIMS reports -> bulk AD upload tool (to make AD match SIMS info) -> GADS
    After this I have pupils in the correct groups in both AD and Google Apps and group email addresses.

Thank Post
    I doubt it'll work with SIMS unfortunately (have only found one that does, and it doesn't link back to AD so is useless for us). It's SIMS that's the problem really.
    SalamanderSoft do a SIMS-to-Active Directory tool, if that's any help. Contact user @rpwillis.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that. I've had a look but we don't need that level of granularity (plus I can script something myself to do it).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Yes students go into a security group in AD, GADS will create a group in Google Apps for any AD Security Groups that you choose to sync (and have an email address associated with it) and put the members of that AD group into the Google Apps groups.

I have a report in SIMS that outputs pupils and classes, so my workflow is SIMS reports -> bulk AD upload tool (to make AD match SIMS info) -> GADS
    After this I have pupils in the correct groups in both AD and Google Apps and group email addresses.
    Perhaps I should just PM you sparkeh, but others may find this useful.

At the end of the academic year our students go up a year and all their classgroups change.

I can handle the altering of groups within AD but will GADS pick this up and alter their groups accordingly? Otherwise there would be a horrific situation where someone who had gone from Year 9 to Year 10 would be a member (in Google) of all the Year 9 and 10 classlists.

I'm guessing (and hoping) GADS handles this seamlessly but it doesn't harm to ask those of you who have experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can handle the altering of groups within AD but will GADS pick this up and alter their groups accordingly?
    Yes it will.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12