+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, Multiple O365 Portals in Technical; That seems a bit steep! What on earth was their day rate?!...

Thank Post
    That seems a bit steep! What on earth was their day rate?!

Thank Post
    How much!!!! That's outrageous!

Thank Post
    I don't what the day rate is but this is a breakdown of the quote

Design & Planning £700.00
    Project Completion £6,360.00
    Post Project Consultancy Visit (optional) £650.00
    Enhanced Implementation Package (optional) £595.00
    Documentation £700.00
    Project Management £650.00

I think they are used to dealing with corporate customers who almost expect these sort of charges - but I have no idea what you get in terms of documentation for £700. Answers on a postcard please (older geekers will get that reference!)

Thank Post
    Project Management?

Laughable if you ask me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by truebluesteve View Post
    I think I am about to get the OK to move from our onsite Exchange Server to O365 however I have a quick question....

We currently have a 365 account for our students - domain is school.org; however our staff email domain is school.org.uk. Student email accounts and passwords are created manually at the moment but we will be using dirsync for the staff domain.

Although I understand we can add another domain to our existing tenancy, we have been advised that it will be easier to manage if we create a new one for staff. Any thoughts on this from the experts? 😄
    Hi,

I am sorry for the delay in the response, I did see this yesterday but was out of the office all day. anyhow, let me see if I can at least guide you in the right direction based on what you have said here.

I would recommend that you keep both your students & staff e-mail under the same tenant. If you were to split this out your only going to potentially end up in more pain later down the line and it's not easier to manage that is for sure.

I'll give you an example, at the moment you have all of your user accounts as Cloud Users. It would be far simper for you to setup OU filtering and sync your staff user objects to the same tenant. this will ensure that your current cloud user objects for students do not get linked together and stay as cloud managed users. If you were to setup different tenants, you need to be VERY careful with what objects you are going to be synchronizing to be sure that in the future, if you come to maybe setup Directory Sync in the other tenant that you do not end up with trying to sync the same on-prem object to two different tenants as this will cause you pain. furthermore, in the future if you choose to setup directory sync for students you'll then have to manage 2 separate DirSync Installation as your not able to Sync objects to two different tenants using One DirSync Installation.

furthermore, you just have a large administrative overhead by having them separate and complexity that is just not required. what if in the future, you want to allow the students/staff to e-mail each other? they won't have the GAL to look up. If you use other features like SharePoint, Lync, OneDrive, Yammer etc. then the integration between your staff and students will always be separate. I can think of loads of reasons not to go ahead and split it, seriously i wouldn't recommend doing it. might sound all great now, but you'll find over time when you want to do more you'll hit complexities.

You should just add your staff domain into the existing tenant, and host your staff mailboxes on that tenant. yes you will have to ensure that you filter out your student accounts upon the directory sync installation but that is well documented although if your at it.. i would just do it all in one go and sync both your staff and your students and have the students on-prem objects soft-matched.

In terms of disabling directory sync, you do have the ability to do this.

The main thing to remember here as well is when you sign-up for Office 365 you get so much more than the SaaS applications you see in the portal that Tenant/Directory Instance can become quite powerful... and having two separate ones just does not make sense at all.

I am not in a position to comment on the costs, but I shall just end with saying lol.

I hope that helps, If you have any further questions let me know.

James.

6. 3 Thanks to EduTech:

gshaw (27th June 2014), plexer (27th June 2014), truebluesteve (27th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks James - your reply was really helpful.

I had originally thought that I would host the staff email on the same portal but I wasn't sure how this would work in terms of dirsync. I was also under the impression (wrongly it seems) that a password change was needed to enable the sync to work - which is why I didn't want to include the students as part of the process.

When it was suggested to me that 2 portals would be best in terms of management I assumed it was because of dirsync but what you say makes sense.

So the long and short of all this is that I will stick to the one tenancy. I'm right that if I register the domain now it wont have any affect until the MX and DNS records are changed?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks James - your reply was really helpful.

I had originally thought that I would host the staff email on the same portal but I wasn't sure how this would work in terms of dirsync. I was also under the impression (wrongly it seems) that a password change was needed to enable the sync to work - which is why I didn't want to include the students as part of the process.

When it was suggested to me that 2 portals would be best in terms of management I assumed it was because of dirsync but what you say makes sense.

So the long and short of all this is that I will stick to the one tenancy. I'm right that if I register the domain now it wont have any affect until the MX and DNS records are changed?
    No Problem.

You can limit the objects that are synchronized via Directory Sync if you so wish although really I do not see the benefit in you doing this, you may as well allow your students to also use the same Username and Password as well surely this is a better experience and better management from your perspective going forward.

In terms of the Password Sync the Password Hash's get synchronized immediately. or/ if there is an issue you can force a Full Password Sync.

Indeed, You would have your objects going to one single tenancy/directory and it will all be managed via the single Office 365 Administration Portal. In terms of adding the Domain you can do this but no mail will flow for this particular domain until MX Records are applied although be mindful of the accepted domain in exchange, you may find that you have to change this to shared so that it delivers student emails sent to staff to external mail provider and not Office 365 to prevent NDRs from being generated.

I hope that helps,
    James.

9. Thanks to EduTech from:

truebluesteve (29th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    No Problem.

You can limit the objects that are synchronized via Directory Sync if you so wish although really I do not see the benefit in you doing this, you may as well allow your students to also use the same Username and Password as well surely this is a better experience and better management from your perspective going forward.

In terms of the Password Sync the Password Hash's get synchronized immediately. or/ if there is an issue you can force a Full Password Sync.

Indeed, You would have your objects going to one single tenancy/directory and it will all be managed via the single Office 365 Administration Portal. In terms of adding the Domain you can do this but no mail will flow for this particular domain until MX Records are applied although be mindful of the accepted domain in exchange, you may find that you have to change this to shared so that it delivers student emails sent to staff to external mail provider and not Office 365 to prevent NDRs from being generated.

I hope that helps,
    James.
    @EduTech

I have added and confirmed our staff email domain to our existing and all is OK. However regarding setting the domain from accepted to shared, I assume you mean new (staff) domain? There is an option to change it to internal relay but I am still getting NDR's for email sent from student email accounts (.org) to staff email accounts (.org.uk). Its fine the other way round.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @EduTech

I have added and confirmed our staff email domain to our existing and all is OK. However regarding setting the domain from accepted to shared, I assume you mean new (staff) domain? There is an option to change it to internal relay but I am still getting NDR's for email sent from student email accounts (.org) to staff email accounts (.org.uk). Its fine the other way round.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
    Hi Steve,

You will need to setup a connector so that it sends the e-mail out over to a smarthost (MX Record) I believe for the domain that is still handling mail on-premise.

Many Thanks,
    James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12