+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 Error: Outlook 2010 not connecting, logging Event ID 4648 in Technical; Originally Posted by themightymrp Out of interest, on one of the ones failing try disabling UAC. I've been looking into ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    Out of interest, on one of the ones failing try disabling UAC. I've been looking into that event ID number and it can occur when something is trying to run with different credentials i.e. when running something elevated. Couldn't say what would be doing it but might be worth an experiment?
    Alas, no joy

4648 sort of makes sense in context - I'm trying to use a domain account to log on a Microsoft Business account - but I have no idea why it has a) suddenly appeared in the last fortnight b) only on three machines out of 60-odd that have recently been re-installed.

Thank Post
    Just as a check, have you got service pack 2 on office 2010?

3. Thanks to themightymrp from:

sonofsanta (3rd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    Just as a check, have you got service pack 2 on office 2010?
    You know what - could have sworn it had gone out in one of the update packages, but SCCM says it's not deployed. Madness.

I'll test that deployment now and hope it fixes the bug - working machines are also on SP1, but they do seem to have more Office updates installed, even though the problematic machine reckons it has all its updates. Could be a clue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, so, SP2 turned out to break every other installation of Outlook in the test area (our office) and resulted in it taking twenty minutes plus to connect, for no apparent reason (no errors in logs). So SP2 is a no-go, and I'm still none the wiser as to what is going on

Thank Post
    What a ball ache! OK then, assuming you still have SP2 in your test area (??) you can try re-installing the MS Online Services Sign-in assistant. See if that cures it. Also, check your proxy settings and try changing the option to bypass proxy for local addresses. This tick box caused us massive slow down when trying to open Outlook! That was with both Office 2010 SP2 and Office 2013...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, I forgot about that setting - I'd seen it mentioned, but it had never affected us so I didn't change the proxy settings (because it saved effort with local sites I didn't want going through the proxy). I'll test that next time it starts being a PITA.

Thank Post
    Try it and if it works all you need to do is add the local sites to the proxy exceptions instead. Luckily for me there are only a small number to stick in (and I do it via GPO anyway).

Good luck!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right.

SP2 seems to have fixed the computer that was having the problems, presumably because it included an update that said computer hadn't - for whatever reason - bothered to grab where every other machine on site had. This might also explain the original two fixing themselves - they finally got round to getting all the updates.

I also have no idea if SP2 is at the root of the slow loading profiles we're seeing, because that seems to be affecting a couple of other people elsewhere, and the computer that worked again when we uninstalled SP2 has since had the issue again, and all in all it's probably just a coincidence and a red herring and more to do with which particular server individual profiles are on, where all of us in the office are probably on the same server as we're all admins.

The proxy tickbox issue probably doesn't affect us because you can get straight to the internet without the proxy here, so even if Outlook doesn't obey the proxy settings correctly, it doesn't really matter.

tl;dr: make sure Outlook is up to date. SP2 includes the relevant update.

10. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

themightymrp (3rd July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12