+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Progresso in Technical; We have started to investigate other msi systems as we find Sims has just got to the point of being ...

Thank Post

Progresso

We have started to investigate other msi systems as we find Sims has just got to the point of being bloated and not very well developed, a lot of catch up ideas and everything is an added extra.

One I have seen and been on is Progresso, it was fast, clean and I couldn't find anything which sims does (able it with 10 add ons).

It's more expensive but if we went for this we would save 14-18k just on removing add ons such as groupcall.

If anyone has it and even better has been through a sims to Progresso conversion please could you give me your thoughts.

And before I get a your in the wrong place it's Mis, Progresso is a cloud biased Mis!

Thank Post
    First up, you'll get a better response in MIS section. Have you seen this: What is the MIS Survey? | Eduware Consulting - @GREED has sent out questionnaires to all the various MIS players so you can find out about more then just one other player, also he's followed on from this - Something to keep an eye on from DfE - where we looked at FOI responses from the DfE with regards what MIS systems people used in England for the School Census - Market Statistics | Eduware Consulting - the spreadsheet towards the bottom lists the school and what MIS they used. It should then give you a good list of actual end-users.

Quote Originally Posted by wardsidjame View Post
    we find Sims has just got to the point of being bloated and not very well developed, a lot of catch up ideas and everything is an added extra.
    Just a observation, I see your a network manager, are you talking from a technical point of view? Just based on the feedback from the #simsinspire conference, it seems to be a bit polar (even after taking it with a huge pinch of salt). Don't get me wrong if you can get a like for like replacement and save 14-18k, great, that's an extra person. Just not sure you maybe doing it for the right reasons. Don't get me wrong, I think you have a point, I blogged about the fact the great strength is also Capita greatest weakness, they can't implement the new SQL 2012 features until everyone has migrated, they can't do proper agile development as they can only do 3 releases a year - end result, they have 1,057,outstanding change request (with positive feedback) since last year.

3. Thanks to matt40k from:

GREED (26th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Our school uses an add on for SIMs, PARS, which staff use to manage registration and behaviour incidents. In our view, PARS is a far friendlier interface and as improved our use of MIS for monitoring and coordination

Thank Post
    Completely the opposite, im fine with the way Sims works in the school and since Solus 3 and the removal of the S drive it has been much easier to manage.

Im looking at it from a completely admin/teacher related task point of view and the amount of time that is spent taking registers and the speed of load (Capita say our system is as fast as Sims will get), simple tasks in Sims seem to take a long time to complete and although the backend reporting features are very powerful they haven't done much (apart from discover) to leverage this for the Teacher end user.

Don't get me wrong, we will be meeting with Progresso as a full team representing every aspect of the school day to ensure that it is a comparable product but in our new school with every mod con Sims has become the most complained about aspect of the system. The comment about the 3rd parties is shared by staff, they need to use multiple platforms to get the job done, so we have Groupcall Emerge for iPads, SalamderSoft for extracting timetable info into staff calendars, pay a lot of money for local LA Sims support (this is included in Progresso), have a Frog parent portal,Keep Kids Safe for SMS, run a large remote access solution so staff can get access to Sims (Progresso is online and does all of these things and we have a clouded file system so staff can edit files directly (Frog Learn network folders).

It really is all about making the teaching day as simple as possible, we estimate that 10% of a standard classroom day is taken up at the start of the lesson, this is cut much shorter when using Groupcall. As we have short lesson times (50 mins) then this impacts quite a lot.

So all in all this is a observation based on end user feedback, not a technical view, although the technical benefits will also be good. We have a lot of redundancy on the network, ha firewalls, backup internet connections etc so the other thing im interested in is the uptime of Progresso from Progresso schools.

Thanks for the feed back.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread