+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 OneDrive - Mapping, presetting URL, Change URL. in Technical; Got a few question regarding OneDrive. 1. Is there any way we can prefill the one drive settings via a ...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post

Office 365 OneDrive - Mapping, presetting URL, Change URL.

Got a few question regarding OneDrive.

1. Is there any way we can prefill the one drive settings via a policy, It prompts for the URL but this is a bit complex?

2. Is there anyway to map a drive to OneDrive, It doesn't connect to the URL?

3. Is it possible to change the URL of the OneDrive (i.e. from *******my.sharepoint.com), we have a few registered domains and could easily set up another one if need be?

Has anyone else moved all there students data into the cloud????

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi Davit,
    Here are a few ways to do the above.
    1. This can be done but requires some coding through either a SharePoint using the Office 365 API or the SharePoint API. I wish it was easier but it isn't. Take a look at the attached to see how you can do theme'ing.
    Customizing SharePoint 2013 personal sites using SP Apps with remote provisioning - Vesa "vesku" Juvonen - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

2. Now way of doing this very easily or reliable. The first thing you need to look at is bulk creating each of the OneDrives. This can be done through an API call with 200 being created at a time. You could also use a log screen to open it when they first log on and then the 2nd time they log on, it maps. The URL has a standard format so you could do this in a script at logon and map them, but as I said earlier, not very reliable.

3. URLs can not be changed. You are stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

We are working with customers at the moment that are moving whole shared drives and their students data to Office 365/SharePoint Online/OneDrive but there are a few things to remember if you can't map the network drive such as, does any software require a home drive?

Alex

3. Thanks to apearce from:

Davit2005 (3rd June 2014)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We gave it a go when skydrive first came out and its possible to map drives on logon but the user still had to enter a user/pass each time they wanted to access it.

We gave up in the end. Its a nice idea but not designed for shared networks really.

5. Thanks to zag from:

Davit2005 (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    Hi Davit,
    Here are a few ways to do the above.
    1. This can be done but requires some coding through either a SharePoint using the Office 365 API or the SharePoint API. I wish it was easier but it isn't. Take a look at the attached to see how you can do theme'ing.
    Customizing SharePoint 2013 personal sites using SP Apps with remote provisioning - Vesa "vesku" Juvonen - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

2. Now way of doing this very easily or reliable. The first thing you need to look at is bulk creating each of the OneDrives. This can be done through an API call with 200 being created at a time. You could also use a log screen to open it when they first log on and then the 2nd time they log on, it maps. The URL has a standard format so you could do this in a script at logon and map them, but as I said earlier, not very reliable.

3. URLs can not be changed. You are stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

We are working with customers at the moment that are moving whole shared drives and their students data to Office 365/SharePoint Online/OneDrive but there are a few things to remember if you can't map the network drive such as, does any software require a home drive?

Alex
    1. I will have a look at link, thanks for the starting point :-)

2. A bit more thinking here then.

3. That's a pain if we cannot have a custom domain for the OneDrive URL :-(.

Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We gave it a go when skydrive first came out and its possible to map drives on logon but the user still had to enter a user/pass each time they wanted to access it.

We gave up in the end. Its a nice idea but not designed for shared networks really.
    Yes I have noticed that the user has to log in Microsoft to verify email and password every once in a while.

It doesn't seem that OneDrive is as linked into Windows 8.1 yet as much as I'd of liked from a shared environment perspective.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    It doesn't seem that OneDrive is as linked into Windows 8.1 yet as much as I'd of liked from a shared environment perspective.
    Yep the real key is logging in with your Office 365 ID to the operating system.

Until that works seamlessly, I think there is no point in working on this.

They really missed a trick there with 8.1

Thank Post

Yep, maybe with Windows 9 along with a few other things the integration will work better.

The Office365 users use their online credentials to log into the machines and this seems to work most of the time without user prompts.

Thank Post

i take it setting up an alias so fred@school.internal can also log on as fred.bloggs@school.org.uk isnt any better i assume you mean the same as my home pcs with win8 my logon is my hotmail account

Thank Post
    Yes the users are able to log into the workstation with their Office 365 accounts.

Just occasionally they are asked to re-authenticate when opening one drive from Favourites. Not every time they open one drive or log off then on or password changes.

Need some more testing

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    Yes the users are able to log into the workstation with their Office 365 accounts.

Just occasionally they are asked to re-authenticate when opening one drive from Favourites. Not every time they open one drive or log off then on or password changes.

Need some more testing
    Yes we had the same problem.

Its pointless if the users keep having to log on each time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread