+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Move existing student mailboxes to Office 365 in Technical; So what are the methods, we have a hybrid solution 600 Staff accounts on Exchange 2010 SP3 15,000 student mailboxes ...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post

Move existing student mailboxes to Office 365

So what are the methods, we have a hybrid solution 600 Staff accounts on Exchange 2010 SP3 15,000 student mailboxes are going to be moved to the cloud.

At the moment we use DirSync to upload and password Sync.

We want only to be able to see the migrated students within the Office 365 section in the Exchange EMC, currently when we migrate we see them in the On-Premises Recipient Mailbox Section as well as the Office 365 Recipient section.

We only want to be able to see students in the Office 365 mailbox area so we can keep Students in a different section to staff.

Is there any way this can be achieved, is there another way to migrate the students over (15,000 of them) , like just the actual data as if they were never on our On-Premise Exchange server?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I would go straight to Microsoft Support and ask them. They were very helpful when I struggled with my migration - particularly this guy: dan.florea@microsoft.com
    He is second-line I think but you can ring the support line and ask for him. They are a few hours behind us though - he is in Europe somewhere

3. 2 Thanks to witch:

Davit2005 (21st May 2014), speckytecky (21st May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thinking logically here, but if you have set it up as a co-existence with your on-premises server then they will always appear in both views.
    Microsoft might have a solution, but I think it may be working as intended, but I hope I am wrong.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats definitely a large staged migration and I can see why you are trying to work it like that.
    Assuming everyone is on the same FQDN, and your MX record is pointing at your on prem server you’ll see your migrated boxes market “In Cloud” in the EMC whilst you are running a hybrid configuration. The MX record and email flow seems like a good reason why you’d want to see both in the EMC. Dirsync is set to deliver inbound email for cloud users to the cloud using the TargetAddress Property.
    In the Office 365 Exchange recipients page you can add additional columns to filter user types for management. Or perform search.
    Some pearls that you may or may not know. Batch migration is limited to 1000 users per .csv file. Upload speed is 5-10GB per hour assuming your connection will handle it. Cross premise sharing is not allowed. Migrate all the users in the same groups at the same time or their calendar sharing will not work.

Thank Post
    Eventually All the students will be viewable only within Office 365 as there mailboxes will be created on Office 365 directly bypassing the Migration process.

It personally, I was asked from above to see if it would be possible and have logged a call with Microsoft. We can modify the Recipient Scope within the EMC to only look at the Staff OU so it not Show Students.

On a side note is there anyway I can Get the Office 365 Organizational Configuration on the EMC console, we can only see the Recipient Configuration Area.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 21st May 2014 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Curly one.

Understanding Hybrid Management in Exchange 2010 Hybrid Deployments: Exchange 2010 Help

this may help, you used to be able to do what you're asking for but now it would need to be managed from O365 portal or remote powershell

8. Thanks to CPLTD from:

Davit2005 (21st May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Curly one.

Understanding Hybrid Management in Exchange 2010 Hybrid Deployments: Exchange 2010 Help

this may help, you used to be able to do what you're asking for but now it would need to be managed from O365 portal or remote powershell
    Yep, this is exactly what view we get, I have seen quite a few screen shots that also have the Organizational Configuration from Office 365, maybe they are using Exchange 2013???

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread