+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, O365 Student ProPlus in Technical; I've enabled this for all my Pupils and a letter has gone out to parents. I was wondering how successful ...
    Thank Post

O365 Student ProPlus

I've enabled this for all my Pupils and a letter has gone out to parents. I was wondering how successful it was? How can I see how many pupils have logged in and downloaded the software. I've only made proplus available.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Most students won't care about office, but I would imagine using it on the ipads will be popular.

Thank Post
    oh, well. I didn't enable one drive so no ipad office

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Same situation here enabled for all students but we haven't enabled onedrive due to the newsfeed requirements. Tryed out the app on some test accounts and it seems pretty decent I'm sure staff would love it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Same situation here enabled for all students but we haven't enabled onedrive due to the newsfeed requirements. Tryed out the app on some test accounts and it seems pretty decent I'm sure staff would love it
    I'm just going to come out and ask it... what's wrong with the Newsfeed?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    I'm just going to come out and ask it... what's wrong with the Newsfeed?
    We don't want students posting on each other's feed using it as a social network

Thank Post
    We don't want students posting on each other's feed using it as a social network
    Why not?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Why not?
    Because I can guaranteed it would be misused, far as I'm aware there's no good way to monitor its use either.

Thank Post
    Because I can guaranteed it would be misused
    Believe it or not, I knew you'd say that.

Truth is, there's a lot of stuff in school that has the potential for abuse but that doesn't mean that everything gets locked down, switched off, hidden away. You're absolutely right, some kids would probably abuse it initially but that's what sanctions are for. If you never turn it on, you're preventing everyone from ever benefitting from it (that is the whole of SharePoint, rather than just the Newsfeed element).

After all, wouldn't you want your students to get their 1TB of storage? Or the Office Online apps?

Surely it's a fantastic opportunity to work with teachers on educating students about online etiquette?

10. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

speckytecky (11th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try getting that past SLT

Thank Post
    I hear that a lot, too. What are their specific objections?

Anything that can have a positive impact on pupil outcomes, albeit indirectly, should get some serious consideration from them rather than being dismissed under the banner of "might get abused". If they're serious about trying to improve access to content, technology, etc. anywhere, anytime, then they should have some pretty solid reasoning behind choosing not to go for it.

Thank Post
    For me, activating Onedrive means turning on SharePoint. I'm not ready to manage SharePoint or have the resources to monitor it and a newsfeed (which I'd not even considered until now)

I do look forward to using it though, the multi author editing in Word online is a hoot. (word proper less so)

I'll give management a demo and see what they say..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    For me, activating Onedrive means turning on SharePoint. I'm not ready to manage SharePoint or have the resources to monitor it and a newsfeed (which I'd not even considered until now)

I do look forward to using it though, the multi author editing in Word online is a hoot. (word proper less so)

I'll give management a demo and see what they say..
    We allocate slt test accounts with it all active on. You could just restrict the root site collection to relieve the need to manage sharepoint sites or give everything everyone just read access and put a couple of useful links on a single index page. In a few minutes you could make a staff, slt and students subsite, put some nice icons on the root site to each, give teachers modify permissions to the student area and let them have a little freedom to experiment, just make sure they know it might be removed depending on the sharepoint plans.

We first started testing it with staff by using little features like a staff shared calendar, then we introduced department calenders, then a blog which a select group of students could contribute on.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 7th May 2014 at 02:47 PM.

15. 3 Thanks to bondbill2k2:

chazzy2501 (7th May 2014), speckytecky (11th May 2014), zag (7th May 2014)

Thank Post
    My feedback - if you are asking - would be less to do with the ability to abuse it but more a case of feeling the skydrive and in turn newsfeed as available in office 365 just seems very clunky.

Coming from live@edu with skydrive consumer accounts for all users we really pushed students and staff into the idea of cloud storage replacing pen drives etc, this was adopted well and as such we got excited about skydrive pro on 365 as the next logical step.

Here we are perhaps still a little old school in that I have a domain and predominantly win 7 desktops and I still map user drives and storage, I run locked down machines with small hds and I redirect everything and the kitchen sink from user profiles to servers.

What I really want is and what all my users want is to make a users skydrive pro folder appear on the machines like a folder/WebDAV folder and that this can be automated and or scripted or have an application from ms that manages this as a service, I know you have said this is not exactly how it's supposed to be used, but I'm struggling with what exactly I am supposed to be doing with skydrive pro In this ad/desktop/profile situation, which I believe to be how many schools running ad still do things?

I can appreciate that with mobile devices on 1 to 1 and byod options etc that schools are moving to this would be less of an issue, as yes I think the skydrive pro app is very good, especially on tablets as an app to "send to" or "open with" from other apps to upload work to a users storage, but I feel that these new mobile resources are not going to be replacing our desktops any time soon and actually make the need for easy access to skydrive pro from desktops really important to enable workflow for our users who are using tablets etc as well.

Sync/skydrive app on desktops is not workable ( when it does work) given how we do things, skydrive pro integration into office apps is a nice feature but no good for all our school apps, open in explorer view and drag and drop are proving to be frustrating for our end users in practice and the GUI for skydrive pro on sharepoint is a bleak prospect compared against the skydrive consumer web GUI

We currently have skydrive /newsfeed disabled, it made my IT director cry when I had to shatter his cloud first vision - I hold Microsoft 100% responsible for making a grown man sob btw but I am still struggling with how skydrive pro can be used effectively here while we are still a mainly bog standard windows desktop setup and believe me I really want that 1tb per user!!

Please substitute skydrive for onedrive in all of the above

My 2 cents etc

17. Thanks to Jasbo from:

SwedishChef (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Okay I may have gone a bit of topic there with a one drive rant fest, sorry...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast